Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Using a new Web Browser

Just started using Firefox after having trouble with internet explorer. It was recommended to me by a computer science guy that I am rooming with right now.

Seems to be pretty cool. You can import all of you bookmarks and settings from IE and it is pretty fast. I like it so far...

Anyone else used it before? What does everyone else use?

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

crazy browser

I have been using Crazy Browser for about a year now. It uses IE
bookmarks and other parts of EI. It works real well. It has a built in pop up blocker that works great
Old 06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Firefox has the builtin popup blocker too. I was using toolbar with IE, but its cool to have it built in.

How do you like the aesthetics of crazy browser?

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 06-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

The asthetics are alright. I like how I can put a bunch of sites togeter as a group and have them all open at the same time. They show up on the top of the screen under the navigation bar. You can then go back and forth from one sit to another without having each of them reload everytime.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I use mozilla also - I used the firefox version for a while but now I use the regular mozilla and update it with the latest build about every month.

Tabbed browsing and the bookmarking of a group of sites is awesome - and no popups yet. I have it set to ring when it blocks a popup - kinda neat.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Just started using the tab feature, very cool indeed.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 06-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Green1995SVX

I've been using safari for a year or so and love it. It's got the search built in and it's pretty fast.

Mike
Old 06-18-2004, 07:20 AM
Porter

Firefox is the bomb. I've been using it for about a year now. It's an evolution of Mozilla, with a significantly updated page renderer that's about 50% faster than IE.

My favorite feature is the type-to-select... if you haven't clicked on anything in the page yet, you can just begin typing a word that appears on the page and it will auto-highlight it, then you can hit enter and it will execute the link.

I just downloaded the new 0.9 last night... seems to be the same thing but a bit more robust.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:22 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
Firefox is the bomb. I've been using it for about a year now. It's an evolution of Mozilla, with a significantly updated page renderer that's about 50% faster than IE.

My favorite feature is the type-to-select... if you haven't clicked on anything in the page yet, you can just begin typing a word that appears on the page and it will auto-highlight it, then you can hit enter and it will execute the link.

I just downloaded the new 0.9 last night... seems to be the same thing but a bit more robust.
All these new features I have yet to find...

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 06-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
yeah.. didn't like safari to much, and IE was pissing me off, so i downloaded mozilla about 2 weeks ago... seems quite a bit quicker... seems a lot like netscape... not really sure about this history of the company/browser,... works really well though. i'm impressed

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
seems a lot like netscape... not really sure about this history of the company/browser,... works really well though. i'm impressed
Mozilla is the development software for netscape. They release builds weekly for it - it is always a work in progress and once they release a "milestone" netscape takes it as their own.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 06-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

Mozilla is the development software for netscape. They release builds weekly for it - it is always a work in progress and once they release a "milestone" netscape takes it as their own.
Mozilla is an open-source browser. It has always been open-source, and it's been around a lot longer than Netscape. Mozilla has been kicking since the early days of the net. Netscape licenses the technology from Mozilla to shorten their development cycle. The problem with Mozilla is that it's always been kind of clunky and slow... it's rather unoptimized and perfect to sell off to corporate raiders like Netscape in order to fund the development of real products like Firefox.

I have to say Firefox is the quickest, most stable browser I have ever used. I only use IE now for terminal services.

Note that Firefox is not being sold to Netscape...
Old 06-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hmm.. I used mozilla's firefox for a little while and it felt like it was slower than mozilla - maybe I should give it another try.
Mozilla has been completely stable for me for over a year.

IE - I only use for windows update

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: