SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Snow tire question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
All big tire makers manufacture globally, but primarily for financial, and secondarily political reasons, not for environmental reasons. That'll be the day...
Obviously you didn't grow up with one of the largest US rubber manufacturer in your back yard... or at least it once was.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Read it somewhere when the tariff on tires came out.. Didn't believe it at first but doing the eyeball research looking at tires it seems that nearly all the non OEM Michelins I've seen on cars say Made in Romania on the sidewall. Every single truck Mich. say made in romania. Never did see a cycle tire made by them that didn't say made in romania.
Interesting research. Unfortunately, the conclusion is incorrect. Michelin doesn't import heavy truck tires from over seas at any large volume. Only 2 plants in north america make heavy truck tires, I work in one of them and the other is in nova scotia. There are also numerous car and light truck tire plants spread across the southeast with the most being in south carolina. They do import car and light truck tires, but they churn out plenty of them here in the good old USA. I'm not at liberty to write about sales figures, but 80% import is far from correct.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Read it somewhere when the tariff on tires came out.. Didn't believe it at first but doing the eyeball research looking at tires it seems that nearly all the non OEM Michelins I've seen on cars say Made in Romania on the sidewall. Every single truck Mich. say made in Romania. Never did see a cycle tire made by them that didn't say made in Romania.
There are 3 Michelin plants here. They make car tires as well as heavy equipment tires primarily for the US market. I've no idea what share of that market they supply.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Very few tires are made in the US or Japan anymore.
Interestingly I decided to try and find tires years ago that weren't made by either Japanese or German companies. It was really hard. Michelin didn't have a 225/50/16. Finally found Cooper and Nokian and Hancook. Lots of Chinese and Indian brands but not available in Canada.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 11-13-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Interestingly I decided to try and find tires years ago that weren't made by either Japanese or German companies. It was really hard. Michelin didn't have a 225/60/16. Finally found Cooper and Nokian and Hancook. Lots of Chinese and Indian brands but not available in Canada.
that's strange. I bought 2 sets of the X-ice tires in that exact size a few years ago for relatives up north. Maybe they discontinued the size?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Interesting research. Unfortunately, the conclusion is incorrect. Michelin doesn't import heavy truck tires from over seas at any large volume. Only 2 plants in north america make heavy truck tires, I work in one of them and the other is in nova scotia. There are also numerous car and light truck tire plants spread across the southeast with the most being in south carolina. They do import car and light truck tires, but they churn out plenty of them here in the good old USA. I'm not at liberty to write about sales figures, but 80% import is far from correct.

So your telling me that the 5 ton dumps with gov't contract Mich. on them really say Made in Romania, SC? Where did I say 80% import? I said 80% of tires made those are two very different things.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I assumed you meant tires in the US when you were writing about eyeball research. I don't work in the earthmover plant, those are made in columbia, SC. Way too big to attempt to cross the ocean with them.

Heavy truck designates mainly the 18 wheeler market but we also make military tires, delivery truck tires, skidsteers, and RV tires.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
that's strange. I bought 2 sets of the X-ice tires in that exact size a few years ago for relatives up north. Maybe they discontinued the size?
Meant 225/50/16. typo I am talking about 15 years ago. Today the only winter in that size is their Alpin. Ice-X and Alpin are both available in 215/55/16.