How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Newbie here

I'm new here, but I know a few folks. I just bought a 96 LSi from Huck and I have to say I'm loving the car!

I've owned and driven XT6es since 1989 (yes, I'm old). Bought my first one brand new and would still be driving it if I hadn't totaled it in '03 (bad memory). I've wanted an SVX since they first came out (before then actually, when I saw one previewed in a Popular Science in 1990). Now I've got one but I'm not totally familiar with the car as I'd like to be. I know the ER27 engine pretty well, but the EG33 is new to me.

Got a few issues that I need to work out, so I wanted to ask a few questions:

• I've got a buzzing exhaust resonator (it's pretty bad!), and I was wondering what the best solution is. From what I've read here the easiest thing is to simply subsitute a straight pipe or a generic resonator. Anything else I should know before I have that done? (keep in mind that unlike a lot of folks, I like a nice QUIET exhaust)

• Got a surging/rough idle issue. Huck thinks it might be a bad TPS or a bad fuel injector, so I might just pull the injectors and send 'em off to be cleaned. But before I do that, I thought I'd describe the problem and see if there were any other ideas on it:

‪‪╓ The rough idle I can handle, but the car does a very rhythmic surging while driving
║ on cruise control. It's almost genuinely as regular as clockwork... the surge is
╙ about 250RPM or so every couple of seconds. Doesn't matter what speed, 45, 65, 75...

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a huge fan of using cruise control for economy and consistency, but this thing is giving me the exact opposite on both counts!

• I've got a few leaks to take care of, both oil and coolant. It looks like the oil is mostly from the cam seals, but I can't tell for sure as I haven't pulled anything off the front of the engine yet. The coolant leak seems to be coming from the upper radiator hose area so I'm not too worried about that (but I do need to remember to put more in - D'OH!). Are there any particular "standard" leaks I should check first?

• Windows aren't tracking real well. The fronts are too bad, but the rear windows need help getting back in place. Is this common among SVXes? If so, how easy is it to fix? Would I be better off just not touching the rear windows at all?

I'm sure I'll come up with some more to bug y'all with.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 10-06-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Newbie here

How many miles on it and has the timing belt and/or the water pump been changed yet? Your answer will impact the answer on the cam seals, if they are what is really causing your oil leak.

I would take care of the coolant leak as I have heard that they can lead to air in the system which can cause hot spots which can cause bigger problems.

It is interesting that we both own a 1996 LSi SVX and a 2006 Tribeca. Is your Tribeca a Limited? That can't be too common of a combination.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I'm new here, but I know a few folks. I just bought a 96 LSi from Huck and I have to say I'm loving the car!

I've owned and driven XT6es since 1989 (yes, I'm old). Bought my first one brand new and would still be driving it if I hadn't totaled it in '03 (bad memory). I've wanted an SVX since they first came out (before then actually, when I saw one previewed in a Popular Science in 1990). Now I've got one but I'm not totally familiar with the car as I'd like to be. I know the ER27 engine pretty well, but the EG33 is new to me.

Got a few issues that I need to work out, so I wanted to ask a few questions:

• I've got a buzzing exhaust resonator (it's pretty bad!), and I was wondering what the best solution is. From what I've read here the easiest thing is to simply subsitute a straight pipe or a generic resonator. Anything else I should know before I have that done? (keep in mind that unlike a lot of folks, I like a nice QUIET exhaust)

• Got a surging/rough idle issue. Huck thinks it might be a bad TPS or a bad fuel injector, so I might just pull the injectors and send 'em off to be cleaned. But before I do that, I thought I'd describe the problem and see if there were any other ideas on it:

‪‪╓ The rough idle I can handle, but the car does a very rhythmic surging while driving
║ on cruise control. It's almost genuinely as regular as clockwork... the surge is
╙ about 250RPM or so every couple of seconds. Doesn't matter what speed, 45, 65, 75...

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a huge fan of using cruise control for economy and consistency, but this thing is giving me the exact opposite on both counts!

• I've got a few leaks to take care of, both oil and coolant. It looks like the oil is mostly from the cam seals, but I can't tell for sure as I haven't pulled anything off the front of the engine yet. The coolant leak seems to be coming from the upper radiator hose area so I'm not too worried about that (but I do need to remember to put more in - D'OH!). Are there any particular "standard" leaks I should check first?

• Windows aren't tracking real well. The fronts are too bad, but the rear windows need help getting back in place. Is this common among SVXes? If so, how easy is it to fix? Would I be better off just not touching the rear windows at all?

I'm sure I'll come up with some more to bug y'all with.
Austin welcome! So you decided to buy one after the dragon run this year? (I had the green one). as far as leaks basically Cam and valve cover gaskets are the major ones. But if you pull the engine replace the rear main seal. The TPS can be tested and it very well could be an issue, as it something you can test (in the how to documents I believe). As far as fuel injectors I'd first do the TPS as it is easiest. I can't comment on the tracks sorry.

But Welcome to the Site!

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

About time you posted Austin!
Glad to see you over here now....hopefully we'll still see you over at the XT6 site too
Austin is the guy behind www.subaruxt.com and is a regular Dragon Attendee....I think he and I are the only ones to be at everyone so far...definitely a great guy.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Hey Austin.

For the rough idle I'd also change the Coolant temp sensor. Just like the ER27 this can cause all sorts of problems. Unlike the ER27 there isn't a corrosion problem with the harness. Get the sensor from Subaru, it cost less and works better than aftermarket.

There are two of the CTS's. One has one wire and feeds the gauge. The other has two wires and feeds the ECU, this is the one you want to replace. If you stand by the drivers side wheel and look under the back corner of the intake manifold, you'll see both of these sensors right next to each other into the coolant crossover pipe. A deep 19mm socket makes it super easy to change on a cold engine.

The rear windows are not a common problem, but there are adjustments for the alignment. I've never adjusted them so I can't help you out more than that. Luckily you're a smart guy and should be able to figure it out once you dig into it

For a quiet exhaust the resonator can be replaced with a magnaflow resonator. Tom, "SVXfiles" can probably help with the part number.

For now don't worry about the oil leak (unless it's as bad as Ol' Smokey). Can you see coolant leaking out? Where? If you can't see the leak, where are the puddles? Definately keep the rad and reservoir filled until you fix the leak.

Like others have mentioned, make sure the TPS is adjusted to .5 vdc at idle.

Do you still have the XT6? I was looking for you on my trip up 95 a few weeks ago.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Dave,

Yep still have the XT6, but it's no longer my daily driver. Kind of sad taking it off the insurance policy. That's the first time I haven't had an XT6 insured in my name in 21 years! I'll keep it and eventually drive it too, but right now my 18 year old daughter is on there with a '00 Camry, and I can't afford to insure all three vehicles.

The oil leaks are, by XT6 standards, NOTHING, and certainly not like Ol' Smokey. Although, if you see me cutting up two old root beer cans... I don't think I even have a single tiny drop of oil on my driveway yet, but I am seeing droplets forming in places under the t-belt covers at the front of the engine. The coolant leak, oddly enough, seems to be running to a terminal point at the bottom of the oil pan, but I'm sure that's just the most convenient path that gravity and various surfaces have taken it on.

Husky,

Yep it's a black '06 Tribeca Limited 7 Passenger (has everything but the GPS - wasn't going to pay $1800 for a Garmin or TomTom )

"How many miles on it and has the timing belt and/or the water pump been changed yet?"

Good question!

Huck,

How many miles on it and has the timing belt and/or the water pump been changed yet?

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Dave,

Yep still have the XT6, but it's no longer my daily driver. Kind of sad taking it off the insurance policy. That's the first time I haven't had an XT6 insured in my name in 21 years! I'll keep it and eventually drive it too, but right now my 18 year old daughter is on there with a '00 Camry, and I can't afford to insure all three vehicles.

The oil leaks are, by XT6 standards, NOTHING, and certainly not like Ol' Smokey. Although, if you see me cutting up two old root beer cans... I don't think I even have a single tiny drop of oil on my driveway yet, but I am seeing droplets forming in places under the t-belt covers at the front of the engine. The coolant leak, oddly enough, seems to be running to a terminal point at the bottom of the oil pan, but I'm sure that's just the most convenient path that gravity and various surfaces have taken it on.

Husky,

Yep it's a black '06 Tribeca Limited 7 Passenger (has everything but the GPS - wasn't going to pay $1800 for a Garmin or TomTom )

"How many miles on it and has the timing belt and/or the water pump been changed yet?"

Good question!

Huck,

How many miles on it and has the timing belt and/or the water pump been changed yet?

From what I have been told, if you need to do the timing belt soon then you may want to do the water pump and cam seals at the same time. If not, then maybe a switch over to a high quality high mileage oil will slow down or stop your leak. They have seal conditioners (not swellers) that may help stop a slow leak.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Well...the only maintenance I did to the car was replace one of the coils, and a new set of spark plugs...Was more intent on fixing the body, since it ran and drove.
If I recall correctly, it had about 155k on it...but you can probably tell that better than me...I have no ideal if or when the t-belt was changed, but it "Should" have been done before now...

It was '96SVXBluetiful 's car before me, might look through his threads to learn more about it...

His first post:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...738#post286738
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 PM

A little surprised that the car would be sold in that condition by one of the top mechanics on this form.

I assume you informed him about the condition and how involved it would be $$$$$$$$$$ to get it running like it should be running and all the leaks properly taken care of before the sale???

Keith
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Yes Austin knew about it's issues (other than a water leak, as I didn't know about it)
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 PM

I was fixing it for my daughter's first car, but she decided she didn't want a Subaru...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
....she decided she didn't want a Subaru...
Are you sure that she is actually your daughter?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Welcome to the site.

I've found the cruise control on the SVX to be great. It's better than most at maintaining an even speed, even on hilly roads.

If you like to drive with the sun roof open you'll want to get the rear windows fixed. Dropping them an inch or so eliminates any buffeting.

Can't say I've heard many issues with either of these items.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
The coolant leak, oddly enough, seems to be running to a terminal point at the bottom of the oil pan, but I'm sure that's just the most convenient path that gravity and various surfaces have taken it on.
That's where mine showed when the water pump was leaking...

Keep an eye on the coolant level and gauge.

You can get small bottles of UV dye at Napa. Then look around under the hood and underneath at night with a blue light.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Are you sure that she is actually your daughter?

Well...the wife says she's mine...out of 3, she is the youngest, and the rebellious one...she's the one that has put this gray in my hair....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed