Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM

Re: thinking about this car.... any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
There's a better way to solve the problem. Until then, we will bathe the forum in...
The pictures that relate to the pre-hijack subject will be deleted by the end of today.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy View Post
i can has IBTL?
I'll see your IBTL and raise you a

Postcount +1
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

OK, I have read this thread again and the apology thread and I would like to add a few comments/observations:

Ben and Keith were both overly caustic and just as much as Trevor ever was in the threads I have read. Guys, it isn't about being right and defending your ego or honor. You guys are passionate and knowledgeable. Please consider what you say and how you say it. Your message becomes quickly lost when the discussion turns into a pissing contest. I just bought my SVX and I am not an expert on cars so I need every one of you to stay engaged. I know I am not the only one. This is a great forum and it needs to survive for the sake of many people. Please consider the impact what you say will have on the person you are saying it to. As soon as you call someone an idiot or a crook, no good will come of it.

I bought my car unseen and was worried from day one because I knew it was high risk. Someone mentioned services for getting a condition report. I knew about carfax but not about condition reports. Please provide information on these services as I will definitely use one next time.

In Keith's defense, a dealer or individual can cross the line into providing misleading information. If information is not provided and the buyer does not ask for it, I feel the buyer is responsible and should not sue. But if a dealer provides false or misleading information, then I think a lawsuit is fair game. One doesn't have to be an idiot to be lied to. And I really don't think trusting people makes one an idiot either. It is a shame that people have such low morals and ethics. Yeah, maybe that reality should make us more cautious but living in fear of being hurt or screwed by another person doesn't not exactly lead one down the road to happiness either.

Keith had valuable advice and a solid argument in his personal case. All hell broke loose when he implied that all or most dealers are crooks. Since he bought a car unseen from a dealer, I doubt he really believes that to be the case. But it did sound that way and, of course, dealers will respond defensively. And someone calling him an idiot didn't exactly help to diffuse the situation.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
... Hell I bought a car unseen and went through enough questions about it to feel confident. I had no surprises when I picked it.
Are you talking about the Emerald you got from me? I miss that car.

I too have bought a car sight unseen. The bottom line is that it is the buyers responsibility to ask the correct questions, to request pictures and/or video, etc. That car I bought is the only vehicle I will ever buy sight unseen. Hell, even though I know what I'm looking for when buying a vehicle, I still bring someone who is knowledgeable along just so I can have a second opinion.

Even though it does suck to get screwed by someone who "misrepresented" a vehicle, it is still the buyers responsibility to inspect before purchase. If you can't see the vehicle, do whatever you can to "see" the vehicle. Ask questions, request specific pictures, request video of the vehicle, etc. If you still feel uncomfortable, don't buy the car.

That's just my 2 cents...
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I bought 2 of my SVXi sight unseen and am going to be buying another sight unseen. Although it really helps when the price is low and they have major issues (to normal people) to fix so you're not too worried about certain other things. That being said, I was still a little pissed when I bought my laguna and they didn't even have a battery for it to start, also had more rust than they guy said, etc. But in the end, I've already put my laguna to a lot of use (some might call it abuse) and really don't have much into it and haven't had an issue.

I guess it all comes down to perspective...
Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl View Post
I would miss that car as well. At least you can be happy inside knowing its getting treated very, very well
Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah so far the car as been kind to me. Not to many issues... granted I got a 5spd

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Yeah so far the car as been kind to me. Not to many issues... granted I got a 5spd
I'll take it back now.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'll take it back now.
Ya can't have her!

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Even though it does suck to get screwed by someone who "misrepresented" a vehicle, it is still the buyers responsibility to inspect before purchase. If you can't see the vehicle, do whatever you can to "see" the vehicle. Ask questions, request specific pictures, request video of the vehicle, etc. If you still feel uncomfortable, don't buy the car.

That's just my 2 cents...
Both your comment and your recommendation are appreciated.

If all you people actually knew what transpired concerning that SVX deal from the minute it all all began until the full refund was received, none of of you would think that anything that we did was unfair or an irresponsible way for us to handle it.

Every negative comment has been made against me without anyone having a clue what actually transpired.

I did not take the dealer to court... I didn't have to, and I did not even threaten to do that... also I never said that I did!

The rust issue was not the deciding factor on our deciding to press for a full refund! I would have taken my lumps on that.

Our original offer was accepted an we never deviated from that.

Each of you would handled it as I did if you were capable of doing it, and if you needed help, I would have been glad to help you... Fair is fair!

Keith
Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 AM

Another 2 SVXs bought "sight unseen" here. Really, with so few of these things around and seemingly concentrated in certain geographic areas, this is probably a common practice. One was pretty much as I expected; the other had some obvious, minor issues which the dealership didn't disclose, but did attempt to remedy by shipping me new parts per my request. Yeah, they already had my money and most certainly could have said,"A deal's a deal, sucker."

So, I got lucky, I guess. But I don't know that I'd do it again.

dcb
Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 AM

Maybe worse than "sight unseen" is the "seen" case of the original subject of this thread. Some subscribers were ooing and aahing at the first sights or views of this ebony '97. Yet, when I went out to take some close-ups, the car that sure looked nice to some experienced lookers was suddenly unveiled -with some very elementary but better photography aimed at informing and not just selling. On my for-sale '92 Teal, and on others here, you have close-up photos to give you a real or surely better representation of a car's physical state, at least; and that is a good starting point. Also, I always figure if they hide/don't reveal physical things, they are more likely to be hiding other things. With digital photography and the ease of online posting, there's no excuse for not expecting and getting good photo evidence in online ads--whether it's a nice (enough) car, or a good (enough) part, for which you're shopping.

P.S., the eventual evaluation subject of this thread is much more interesting than the pitiful hair-pulling exchanges.