How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Engine pics

I have been working on everything else on the car and the engine here and there in between. Sorry for the crappy photos it does look better in person.

For those curious it has Grimm Speed ceramic coated throttle body, intake (pnp too), refurb heads were purchased from AWD before they shut their doors, Perrin lightweight pulley, and blue silicone vacuum lines may go to black later but blue was what they had. Probably some stuff left out but not much more left before it is ready for install.

Again crappy photos but gives an idea, and don't mind the mess in the garage

Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Cool Re: Engine pics

Wowww, where will that go? Your living room?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Or a museum... damn that is pretty.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Re: Engine pics

Thanks guys, actually the block itself I did scrubb it down pretty good. The heads were pretty clean but I cleaned them up and painted the valve covers black with engine block paint. Gives it a nice dark look and pretty much matches the ceramic coating on the intake. For some of the parts I used a paint called alumi-blast (I think that was how it is spelled) makes the pulleys and steering pump look like a dull aluminum. All of the timing covers are new, replaced those when I did the HG, waterpump, and timing belt. I had other fuel rails cleaned up and painted but was having so much trouble getting the injectors out I went with the set up I got from Mike621 a while back. Some of the hardlines for the oil and such were sand blasted and painted. The fuel lines under the manifold were blasted and painted with the alumiblast.

I am thinking of doing the wrinkle coat on the oil pan, but haven't decided for certain. I just need to get the oil pan gasket, exhaust studs, and spark plugs and she will be done after installing the new flex plate. These will be installed then too.

Engine install will have to wait. I recently got the 4.44 trans installed and steering rack (minus tubing).
Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Registered SVX

thats definetly car show display right there, ask subaru if you can display it at their exibits to show what they made in the past.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX

Looks good but won't it make it hard to locate leaks? Not that these cars leak I like the headers.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:52 PM

Registered SVX

There is no Oil Pan Gasket, so all you will need is some silicone

Looking really good though, same basic look my engine will have once completed . Very well done, sir.

Good luck on your reinstallation, try not to scratch the pretty paint

EDIT: when you replace the flex plate, if you have not already done so, do the rear main seal. Might as well since you will be right there. (unless you completely tore the block down and/or did this already.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 08-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

part numbers on perrin pullies??? are you using OEM belts??
Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Registered SVX

BTW, where did you get the blue silicone vacuum lines? What ID and OD?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Thanks guys, the thing is I know every flaw well enough that I can still see them. Not that there are alot of bad flaws just things I wished I had the time and $$ to still address. Oh I also went through the wiring and put new protective tubing on them and fixed some of the routing I didn't like.

The headers I know some disagree with my choice to have them made to stock specs rather than full length custom, but that's ok it will look good either way. I just couldn't see putting the heavy rusty stockers back on. If I get HP gains cool, if not thats ok too.

As for leaks, thats the beauty of having a clean engine or clean car. You always will know when something leaks and where it is coming from! lol.

Since the forum has been a bit slow these days I will add this part too and get opinions. I suppose this part should go under mods or Q&A, I suppose it can be moved if need be.

Suspension. Here is the set up I am going to be modifying to fit. I know the rears are almost direct bolt in. Some of the spindle mount will have to be cut down to fit but only a couple of mm I believe.

The fronts I am thinking up ways to mount the front sway bar link. I also want to go with an adjustable link similar to what Nevin did for the rears. Any ideas or observations on how I should go about mounting the links would be helpful.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
What make/model are those coils actually designed for?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Here's what I've done with my front links:

As I discussed with shotgunslade in another thread, this mounting point reduces the effectiveness of the front bar by a certain degree, but the coils should more than compensate.

I'll get some better pictures of it tomorrow.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Seth,

The car is coming along great!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Thanks Mike.

CrazyPilot, that is a very interesting idea! If you had room to adjust the height of the links do you think you could adjust them longer or shorter to get more improvement from your sway bar? I don't know if that makes much sense. But very cool and something I will consider. Why did you end up there? Did you replace your struts?

Nikfu, I believe if I remember correctly they are Megan Racing Street Series and I stayed with a Subaru platform. I think they were the 03+ forester. Reasoning was similar lower mounting and our cars are heavy so I figured they would be able to handle the SVX nicely since they are also adjustable dampening.

Edit: sorry I missed a few responses.
Cam I got the hoses from Jegs p/n 865-28906 Silicone Hose Kit
3/16"/4mm x 10'
1/4"/6mm x 5'
1/3"/10mm x 2'
I know I should do the main seal and will definitely consider it but I am fairly certain either the engine or the trans will have to come out before too long. I am not overly confident in a used trans.

Johny, Only the crank pulley was Perrin, I don't remember what the part number was I originally ordered the lightweight pulley from motorsport warehouse and installed it, nice looking aluminum pulley which is why all the others were pretty much painted to match it. I also had ordered a Perrin Pulley for my Legacy sedan but never got around to installing it. So, after looking at them they were pretty much interchangeable and same size etc. so swapped the Perrin Pulley in. I will be using stock belts. I am going to wait to do the A/C belt until I can take it to be vacuumed and charged.

Hope I didn't miss anything or anyone

Last edited by sowise; 08-22-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

That is beautiful!
2001 Audi S8