Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2002, 10:57 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Just a quick note

There are some TSBs going around from different OEMs regarding K&N air filters. Apparently the oil the filter uses is being sucked up onto the MAFs and causing driveability problems. I know my car had a cold morning surge (generally surges are caused by lean mixture) that went away after I cleaned the MAF with a few shots of carb cleaner. As always, YMMV.

Beav
Old 03-22-2002, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Hmm...I don't know if mine started doing that before or after the K&N filter. It's been so long ago. So carb cleaner is safe on the MAF sensor? What other type of cleaner do you think might be safe? Brake cleaner?

KuoH
Old 03-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Check your cleaners closely

The MAF in our cars is mounted in plastic. Many cleaners contain or are propelled by chemicals which can destroy these plastics. I cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner.

My VW dealer was telling me of problems with Golf/Jetta MAF sensors failing which they believed was caused by the filter oil coating the wire.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:54 PM
Not as old as Randy

I've cleaned many sensors that were absolutely caked with crap and restored their operation. Then there's been a few that nothing will help except replacement. YMMV.

As far as the plastic and the cleaning solvents go I've not had any problem with carb or brake clean on anything under the hood, barring trim pieces such as grilles and cowl trays, etc. However I'm not a chemical/plastics engineer so take this any way you want. It seems that brake fluid is the most cosmetically toxic liquid when it comes to underhood fluids. My personal feeling, for what it's worth, is if it's likely to come in contact with fuel or oil it's probably safe to clean with carb or brake cleaner. Most carb cleaners wil leave a slight residue, brake clean should not leave anything of consequence behind. I've cleaned road tar from paint with carb clean and I've seen brake fluid ruin a paint job. Once again, YMMV.

The MAF sensors are delicate and won't take much abuse (if any) so if you're going to clean yours take it easy on the sensor. Just spray it with some cleaner (your choice, just pick something that WON"T leave a residue - that's the whole idea here) and if it has some 'fur' on it gently swab it with a 'q-tip' or similar. Make sure it's completely dry before re-installing - don't blast it with high pressure air, 5-10# pressure is plenty.

I suppose the other item to mention is if you're using a K&N filter, or similar, don't overload the filter with oil. It only takes a slight misting to work properly.

Have fun,

Beav
Old 03-22-2002, 07:01 PM

Registered SVX
Cleaning Fluids

Beav,

When my no. 2 son was a toddler I came home to find my wife very angry , saying I should not not leave liquids in the garage which could be dangerous to children.

I had just purchased a lovely white 1750 GTV Alfa Romeo to race in the second year of a production series having won the previous series in a Subaru FF1. On entering the garage I found paint sagging off the Alfa all over up to toddler reach hight and a cleaning brush in a now empty tin of used brake fluid. Observation - no need to buy paint remover in future and expensive paint job in the offing!

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-22-2002 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

heheheheh...you've got me laughing out loud... I'm certain it wasn't funny at the time, but now it has me chuckling mainly because there are a few similar incidents in my lifetime that I'm sure Pop would rather forget...

Beav

p.s. there used to be a cart track in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. that used FF1s for the rental race cars. Great fun!
Old 03-22-2002, 10:47 PM
ChrisB

Hey Beav, I must be tired but I can't figure out what YMMV means.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Your mileage may vary
Old 08-29-2002, 11:37 PM

toxic chemicals?

Hello guys..

WIth all this talk about Cleaners and stuff. Beav is right Brake cleaner can melt some plastics and just deform others cosmeticaly. Cark claner depending on what type is pretty mean to. But most of it now says Safe for Sensors Etc... Carb cleaners will leave a residue while brake cleaner leaves next to nothing.

How about just some CRC Electronic cleaner... Same stuff used on Printed circut boards... ?????? I'm pretty sure it's sold in alot of auto parts store. Like AutoZone or car Quest,Napa..

I believe that might be a safer route, but Carb cleaner works too.

just my idea
!SVX1999