Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-20-2002, 09:53 AM
mangodreams

HELP! EGR sensors?

Hi everybody.

My SVX has been developing weird issues as of late.

Recently it was the check engine light, followed by not starting.
I had it towed to the dealer, he says that the battery is kaput, the electric control sensor needs replacing, as does the EGR control sensor, and front and rear bank oxygen sensors.

The car has 94,000 miles on it, but I barely drive it anymore.

He guoted me a price of $950 and says that this job takes 4 hours of labor. The majority of the job price is labor. (the price includes the installation of a door mirror that was a casualty of NYC street parking)

Does this make sense? I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken for a ride here. I don't trust the dealers in NYC.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2002, 10:06 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: HELP! EGR sensors?

Quote:
Originally posted by mangodreams
Hi everybody.

I had it towed to the dealer, he says that the battery is kaput, the electric control sensor needs replacing, as does the EGR control sensor, and front and rear bank oxygen sensors.

He guoted me a price of $950 and says that this job takes 4 hours of labor. The majority of the job price is labor. (the price includes the installation of a door mirror that was a casualty of NYC street parking)

Does this make sense? I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken for a ride here. I don't trust the dealers in NYC.

Thanks!
I don't trust dealers anywhere, but, it sounds about right to me, with all that needs to be done. I understand the replacement of the EGR sensor is a bugger in itself. Does that include the price of a NEW mirror + install? If so, I think you're getting off rather "reasonably" as dealers go.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-20-2002, 10:54 AM
mangodreams

Unhappy SIGH....

Thanks for the reply. This car is straining my last nerves...I think this repair is truly the last straw...As much as I'd hate to do it...that new Nissan Z is rather inviting.

Hope all is well.

Dan
Old 03-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: SIGH....

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. This car is straining my last nerves...I think this repair is truly the last straw...As much as I'd hate to do it...that new Nissan Z is rather inviting.

Hope all is well.

Dan
Dan,
Don't dispair. At least you're getting some new parts for your car for your money. My car was in the shop for 30 days and I paid 918.00 --- for the RENTAL CAR (and I only drove it for 17 -- the tranny work was under warranty).

Don't go doing anything rash. Besides, you helped talk me into this mess in the first place.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-20-2002, 05:20 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: HELP! EGR sensors?

Dan,

Something you said didn't sit well with me...

What year is your car?

I'm not sure when (or if at all) they changed the design of the exhaust and the number of oxygen sensors, but there are no front and rear bank oxygen sensors on the car. There's two: one left, one right.

So, if your car is a '92, and the dealer said front and rear bank oxygen sensors, I'd for sure walk away from Ben Dover Subaru, and its diagnosis.

I'd start off with removing the battery and having it load tested. If it's not OK, replace it, and re-read the diagnostic codes stored on the ECU to see if it gives you any clues as to what might actually be the cause of your problems.

VK

Quote:
Hi everybody.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Pricing is one thing, whether or not you actually need all of that work is another. That's a lot of sensor work. Usually the only time all the O2 sensors fail together is when someone has introduced lead or silicone to the engine. If lead was introduced the catalytic convertors may also be in question.

Some shops just sell all O2 sensors when one goes bad, figuring they can say "Well, you don't want to take a chance that the others will go bad soon, etc.", just to rationalize their overselling.

BTW, O2 and EGR sensors won't keep the car from starting. I have absolutely no idea what a "electrical control sensor" is, maybe a misunderstood term? My recommendation would be to find someone that won't jerk you around.

Beav
Old 03-20-2002, 09:48 PM

Registered SVX
HELLS BELLS AND BUGGY WHEELS !

I simply can not believe all the crap you guys are handed by dealers and the poor SVX gets blamed all along the line. Don't you have any orginisation like our A A ( Automobile Association ) which has a reasonable subscription fee and gives free technical advice and independent mechanical checks and also keeps a list of reliable repair facilities? They also provide legal advice and assist in putting pressure on the sort you seem to encounter so often.

Many here provide a free "Courtesy Car" while repairs are in progress. My son recently had one for five weeks, no problems, when the repairer was under pressure and there were delays with his car being completed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-20-2002 at 09:50 PM.