How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2002, 02:16 PM
SVXtc

tranny rebuild problems

Has anyone who has ever had their transmission rebuilt had problems after getting it back. I recently got mine rebuilt and it's almost has bad as before. I can't even get on it slightly before it decides to cut out. The power light flashes and I can barely accelerate. This car is really starting to tick me off. Everytime I get something fixed one or two more things go out? What is with this car. I really want to trick it out , but I have to keep paying money just so it gets me from piont A to point B. It is way overpriced to work on and most places that do work on it don't ge it right? I'm trying to decide what makes more sense. Paying anywhere from $100-$3000(rebuild) to keep it running or paying around $400 a month for a brand new sports car that has 300 horsepower, sequential sportshift, limited-slip differential, and stock 17" rims(Nissan Z). I don't want to get rid of my SVX but damn, I can't keep doing this. The car is unique, but eventually you have to face reality. This was one if not the first sports cars that Subaru built. With that comes lots of mistakes. I feel the only good about this car is its design, minus the fact the front end has a huge gap between the tire and wheel well compared to the back which really bothers me. I just needed to vent...
Old 01-13-2002, 04:24 PM
svx1

hey man
i feel you on the problems, im having plenty myself, i havent driven my svx in about 6 months, cuz its been in the shop for one thing after another. my tranny just got rebuilt but i havent driven it, cuz the front diff was leaking, now im waiting for that to be fixed. but if i have problems with the tranny its under warranty for a year, and i would imagine yours is too. most places warranty their work, and from what it sounds like they did something wrong rebuilding yours and they should have to fix that even if its not under warranty. i hope you get it straight man, i know its frustrating.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:29 PM
SVXtc

That's exactly what I'm doing tomorrow. Not only did they not rebuild the transmission properly, but they also made it to where my car won't start all the time. I guess I'll be without my car for a while but as long as they fix what they messed up, it's well worth it. I'll have to just wait and see.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:46 PM
trentak

Oh were do I begin. I had my tranny rebuilt by Aamco (don't ever go there) and paid $3000+ for that. It was in the shop for about 2 months and I just got it back Friday. As soon at I got it back there were problems. It didn't want to shift into 1st gear and when it did there was a slight thud. Then it was really weird about where the shifter was in order to get it to go into gear. It's like you had to play around with the shifter a little to get it to go into gear. So all this on the first day I got it back after 2 months. So I took it back to the shop and told him about the problems I was having with it. He told me to drive it over the weekend to see if it would fix it's self. So the I drove it home and let it sit for a while. Took it back out and had no problems. Wired right! Saturday it did fine nothing was wrong. Sunday morning got up drove to work no problem. I let my friend take it to work on the radio and then he calls me an hour later. Come pick me up you just lost al your transmission fluid. He said that he went to get a k&N filter for it, hosed it off and then when draining he saw these huge clouds of smoke coming out from under it looked in the re-view mirror and saw this nice trail of fluid. When I went to get him there was this trail of fluid for about a mile and a half and then there was a big pile of trnas fluid. Nice huh!!! 2 months of waiting and $3,000 later and this is what I got. And just to let you guys now, never go to Aamco. They are the ****tiest people I have ever dealt with. Long story short there is a wiring harness that goes from the valve body to the engine. Inside the transmission there are wires that this connects too. Well the wiring harness I had was damaged so they had to replace it. Well after getting the part two times he deiced to rig it. The plug on one end was fine and matched my car but the plugs on the other end that connect inside the trans were different. So the cut off the good wires from my old wire splice those to the new one and wa la there's my harness. ****ty I know. What quality service. Then they tell me I get no rental car and who knows if they'll get it fixed this time. I called someone from Subaru to see if it would have been any cheaper to go to them and it wasn't. About $1000 more. But for that you get a 3 year warranty and a NEW trans. It's about $3500 for parts and then 525 for labor. So if I were going to do it again I would spend the extra 1,000 to get it done right and have peace of mind. Knowing that it's right and I can enjoy my car. I know how you feel with problems. It just seems like one thing after another. I had to have a front axle, lock actuator, and bushings. Another $1000. The door locks are ****ed up. On the driver side I can put the back left window down with the front controls but not up. I have to reach around to the back and use they rear. The passengers doesn't work but yet the drives works. Weird right. The radio doesn't work. Who ever had it before but a system in it and didn't hook it back up right. So to sum this all up I feel your frustrations. Good luck.