How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-04-2001, 08:56 AM
livin in AZ

buying a used transmission questions

I have a '92 SVX and I was wondering if you bought a used transmission what years would be compatible. I was saving up for a remanufactured tranny but I moved to Las Vegas in the begining of July and have spent all my money paying rent till I found a steady job, So I was thinking I could get a used one put in temporarily till I could afford a reman so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

On another note, Since the first of July I have now seen 4 SVX's in Las Vegas, compared to seeing at least 2 per week in Utah it is sad. And the night before I moved I saw a lowered SVX at a dance club in Salt Lake City

Thanks again and I will hopefully be able to come back to being at this site on a regular basis......Darren

Social Distortion

1992 LS-L Pearl White :Optima Red Top, Motorsports Warehouse drop springs and swaybar bushings, Race Concepts slotted and dimpled rotors ,SS brake lines,semi-metalic brake pads, 4.11 5 speed, STi short shifter and tranny mount, Exedy sport clutch, Kartboy shifter bushings, intake silencer removed, ECU Tune Stage 1 v4
Old 10-04-2001, 02:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Utah reckless youth

Hi Utah

I have been looking for this kind of information since I joined the club, with only a little success. It would appear very few people put a tranny from a wreck in their cars.

In the UK club, most of the advice I got was to recondition my tranny, that way I could be sure it was correctly done. A disadvantage of fitting a second hand tranny is, you have no way of knowing how good it is, if it was faulty before the crash, or how long you might expect it to last.

Compatability will be a problem. Improvements and changes were made over the years, and the looms are quite different. Just the same, I have recently fixed my '91 car with a '96 tranny. To achieve it, my mechanic took the internals from the later tranny, and installed them in the '91 carcase. It seems to work very well, I am driving it carefully to get used to how it operates, and listen for problems.

The main changes were made in '93 and again in '95/'96. The simplest solution for you would be to buy a pre '93 tranny, it will give the least fitment problems. Up to you how much trust you put in how good/bad it might be. Unfortunately, the labour and trouble involved to make the switch will be the same whether the tranny is perfect or s**t. So you need to be well sure the tranny is worth the trouble of installing.

However, it can be done. Best of luck.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-04-2001, 04:30 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: buying a used transmission questions

Quote:
Originally posted by UT_SVX
I was wondering if you bought a used transmission
Darren,

Does your car move? What is the transmission doing?