Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2001, 02:17 PM
oneothefewproud

Urgent need of Help. PS O-Ring Fix

Guys,

I need some help. In my locker you will see 2 pics of the PS PUmp and the Res. Where the hell is the O-Ring that needs to be pulled and replaced. There is one on the bottom of the Res but it really doesnt look like an O-Ring.

HELP!!! Please. The car is apart and I need to drive it.

Thanx
Wayne
Old 09-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Chad

Re: Urgent need of Help. PS O-Ring Fix

Quote:
Originally posted by oneothefewproud
Guys,

I need some help. In my locker you will see 2 pics of the PS PUmp and the Res. Where the hell is the O-Ring that needs to be pulled and replaced. There is one on the bottom of the Res but it really doesnt look like an O-Ring.

HELP!!! Please. The car is apart and I need to drive it.

Thanx
Wayne
Check out Aredubjay's personal locker. He has instructions for the fix.

The O-ring is underneath the resevoir(sp?). You have to remove the 2 torx bolts to get to it. It is a really simple process, if that is where the leak is coming from. I replaced mine with a universal o-ring from the local auto parts store.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2001, 03:57 PM
oneothefewproud

Thanx, Once I reread the instruction I was 95% sure it was the little o-ring at te bottom of the Res. thanx will let everyone know what turns out. hopefully nothing.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 09-09-2001, 05:49 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanx, Once I reread the instruction I was 95% sure it was the little o-ring at te bottom of the Res. thanx will let everyone know what turns out. hopefully nothing.

Ciao
Wayne
Wayne, if I may quote from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, "You chose wisely." That's the one. Hope all is well. Sorry I wasn't around for immediate help.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-10-2001, 09:16 AM
oneothefewproud

"You chose wisely."

Randy,

Thanx for the instructions. Seems to have made a difference. Enven if the leak doesnt stop the steering is beautiful. Feels so much better. I was also able to clean all the crap out of there also. I have never seen a car collect so much junk in the engine bay before. I found a cigerette butt by the battery and I dont smoke.

If you dont mind Randy I am going to make a few small adjustment to your write up. The biggie that i was confused about was the 1/8 inch tube you talked about. It's 5/8 so that's where the 95% surity (is that a word) came from. But it helped a great deal.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 09-10-2001, 09:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: "You chose wisely."

Quote:
If you dont mind Randy I am going to make a few small adjustment to your write up. The biggie that i was confused about was the 1/8 inch tube you talked about. It's 5/8 so that's where the 95% surity (is that a word) came from. But it helped a great deal.

Ciao
Wayne
I don't mind at all. However, the 1/8 inch was an estimate on the amount that the orifice protrudes from the reservoir, not the size of the hole itself. I was very surprised to see how small it was and how little it protruded into the pump. BTW, when I went to change my 0-ring, I didn't have to change it -- I had to INSTALL it. There was none!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-10-2001, 09:31 AM
oneothefewproud

I had to INSTALL it. There was none

Then I definatly miss read it. When i got the Res off and got it cleaned up. Tons of crap on it. Oil and dirt and sand and etc etc etc. The ring, i can not call it an o-ring cus it wasnt that shape. The ring there looked like a beveled ring. If you cut a cross section of it it would be a triangle. But I bought the kit of o-rings, $19 for 100 of them, (dman it). so i have way more than I need. But noone at any parts store could tell me what size it was.

Just renewed my lack of confidence in the (3 Brothers) Manny, Moe and Jack@ss. Morons.

No leaks thus far. Tonite I will open the hood and check for a leak. Since today was the first real test. Highway speeds and the long comute in to work.

Thanx again
Wayne
Old 09-10-2001, 09:32 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: Re: "You chose wisely."

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
MODS: K&N Drop In Filter Charger; Gun Rack; Cow Catcher; Possum Screen; Deer Whistles
Isn't all but the K&N stardard equipment for all cars sold in southern Indiana and Kentucky?
Old 09-10-2001, 10:26 AM

Registered SVX
Re: I had to INSTALL it. There was none

Quote:
Then I definatly miss read it. When i got the Res off and got it cleaned up. Tons of crap on it. Oil and dirt and sand and etc etc etc. The ring, i can not call it an o-ring cus it wasnt that shape. The ring there looked like a beveled ring. If you cut a cross section of it it would be a triangle. But I bought the kit of o-rings, $19 for 100 of them, (dman it). so i have way more than I need. But noone at any parts store could tell me what size it was.

Just renewed my lack of confidence in the (3 Brothers) Manny, Moe and Jack@ss. Morons.

No leaks thus far. Tonite I will open the hood and check for a leak. Since today was the first real test. Highway speeds and the long comute in to work.

Thanx again
Wayne
Yeah, the "bevel" was part of your problem. Notice how nice and round the new o-ring is. The compression of the reservoir against the pump is what causes the "bevel" and eventual breach of the seal. I'm glad you got the job done.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-10-2001, 12:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: I had to INSTALL it. There was none

Quote:
The ring, i can not call it an o-ring cus it wasnt that shape. The ring there looked like a beveled ring. If you cut a cross section of it it would be a triangle.
Wayne
Right, that's the shape it's been compressed to since the original assembly.

By the way, if anyone has trouble getting o-rings from a parts store or Subaru (where I got mine - they made me prepay), I understand some hardware stores have the ability to MAKE o-rings for you. Here it's apparently an Ace Hardware - dunno if all their stores do.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-10-2001, 01:10 PM
oneothefewproud

O-Rings

Fellow SVXer's,

I bought an asortment of O-Rings. If someone needs 1 or so. Please send me an email. The largest I have is about the size of your thumb. I didnt messure it but maybe 1 inch in Diameter.

A small donation for shipping and handling would be appreciated but never necessary.

Ciao
Wayne

PS. Happy O-ringing.