How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM

TCU stored codes vs. active codes

Will someone explain to me the difference between TCU 'stored codes' and 'active codes?' I had no flashing power light so and did the check for 'active' TCU codes and got nothing, but there was a stored code (#32) for VSS1. So since it's not an 'active' code, can I assume the VSS1 had a random malfunction, but is currently working? Or that it was repaired at some point and the code wasn't properly cleared?

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM

Re: TCU stored codes vs. active codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Will someone explain to me the difference between TCU 'stored codes' and 'active codes?' I had no flashing power light so and did the check for 'active' TCU codes and got nothing, but there was a stored code (#32) for VSS1. So since it's not an 'active' code, can I assume the VSS1 had a random malfunction, but is currently working? Or that it was repaired at some point and the code wasn't properly cleared?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that a stored code is for something that has intermittent failures or can return a range of values and has given the TCU something out of range. Either way, it has to malfunction a certain number of times before the TCU will store the code. So, it may be that VSS1 has had (for the sake of conversation) 5 failures (or out of range readings) in the past and after 3 it created the stored code.
An active code is what it sounds like: something is currently malfunctioning. I don't believe you can have active and stored codes for the same sensor, it's either one or the other, but I may be misinformed on that.

Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to know more about how the systems work in these cars. Hope this helps!