Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
I didn't install the hood safety switch but then I didn't use it on the other module or on the other car I used to have that I put a remote starter on, and the click is definately a solenoid click as if the battery were about dead. Is the starter kill part of the remote starter system or the car starter??
Old 07-30-2005, 03:08 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
If it were a safety shutdown sensor, the module won't even try to engage, thus no blinkie lights and no click.

KuoH
On mine you could pop the hood and it will try to start, but it won't. It will do just like he described.

Check it out -> http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...u_S./28251.avi

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 07-30-2005 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:13 PM
SVXPlanes

Another option for problem #2...

My '92 used to do the same thing - big throttle lag and then the rush. Dealership cured the problem by installing a '94 EPROM (car was still under warranty). This was apparently a common problem in '92's and 93's and this was a common fix at the time. Might work if the resistor crush doesn't.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:40 PM
leviathan

Okay, I am considering doing the crush mod. But I am not sure if I trust myself playing around with my car's ECU. Tell me honestly, is this something that a person who can do little more than change his own oil should do? What kind of places would do this sort of thing for me? And how much should I expect to pay?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If you are only getting 14 mpg something else is wrong that the crush mod probably won't fix.

That said it is as easy as an oil change to crush the bead.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:20 PM
leviathan

I got 17 mpg on my last tank. But yeah something has to be done. Still considering having a 5spd put in early next year, anyone think that will help? And should I just print off Kuoh's tutorial on how to fix the starting problem and hand it to the guys at the dealership? I wonder how well that will go over. And how much work would be involved in replacing the MAF sensor? I appreciate all the help you guys have given me, and try to remember that I am the eternal newbie.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Graphic Artist

Old thread... But I'm having the exact same problems...

Car not starting and only clicking a have discovered. The problem seems to be that my alternator cannot supply enough current for the AC system, My amps and the parking and fog lights all at once, If I leave it sitting there for more than five minutes I get christmas tree syndrome.

Surging is getting worse, milage fluctuates wildly beween 10 and 18 mpg (cty, hwy) also hearing octane knock (yes i run premium) Maybe my car just hates summer blend. Crush mod has already been done.

HOw did you fix this problem?

Thanks, Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en
Old thread... But I'm having the exact same problems...

Car not starting and only clicking a have discovered. The problem seems to be that my alternator cannot supply enough current for the AC system, My amps and the parking and fog lights all at once, If I leave it sitting there for more than five minutes I get christmas tree syndrome.
The rectifier in the alternator is overheating and close to completely failing.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan
Okay, I am considering doing the crush mod. But I am not sure if I trust myself playing around with my car's ECU. Tell me honestly, is this something that a person who can do little more than change his own oil should do? What kind of places would do this sort of thing for me? And how much should I expect to pay?
My bead is crushed and I still get this power surging/loss problem.
The only time I don't get it is either when it sits for an extended period (days, mostly powerful) or is driven constantly and never sits for more than 12 hours (loses power, sounds bad).

Don't pay anyone to do it for you. It takes 5 minutes.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:08 PM
leviathan

A new problem

I was driving along about ten minutes ago and thought I smelled coolant, and sure enough my temp gauge was slowly making its way up. Almost made it all the way to the red line before I made it to my destination. So I popped the hood and sure enough there are green splashes kind of all over the place. My reservoir is almost empty and there is a puddle of antifreeze on a flat spot between my radiator and the battery that is slowly dripping onto the pavement. The fluid looks like it is coming from the reservoir, I can see it dribbling down to the puddle from under the battery. I am unable to find the source of the leak, however. It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the radiator, other than a few green drops around the cap. SOMEBODY HELP ME QUICK!! The dealership is closed and I can't survive the weekend without my car.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
Well what I would do is first wash the anti-freeze off that has gotten on your engine compartment , then fill the radiator and recovery jug and that might take a little while to make sure it is full as it takes some time for the whole system to come up to full , then I would start the car and let it warm up and keep a watch on it to check for any leaks anywhere,,and you can take the cap of the jug if you don't see any leaks right away after it is up to normal opperating temp. and check if you see any bubbles coming up in the jug. That could mean you have a blown head gasket or a crack in the head. But you might see a leak somewhere though after it warms up and you need to keep an eye on the temp gauge as you are checking on this so it doesn't sneak up on you and overheat. I would think you could see a leak as you watch under the hood when it gets warmed up and then if you don't see any leaks from anywhere , check for bubbles in the jug. There is always a possibility that the thermostat has stuck and causing the coolant to be puked out the jug too. Hopefully it is just a crack in the jug or a hose maybe the one going from the radiator to the jug if not a radiator hose. .. Maybe someone else can help give you more ideas if you don't find the problem. good luck.. Vernon
Old 08-08-2005, 09:55 PM
leviathan

Yeah. Once I finally got some more coolant to pour into the jug I immediately found the problem. There was a spout on the jug spewing the coolant out as fast as I could pour it in. It was just a hose that came off, and it was stuck behind the battery so I couldn't tell it was missing until I poured in the coolant. I stuck it back on and have had no more problems with that.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:19 AM
leviathan

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I fixed the lag/rush problem. I had my alternator replaced. I had it rebuilt about 13 months ago (which just happened to be when the acceleration problem started) and it just went bad. And guess what? They gave me a one year warranty. Coincidence? Some companies total lack of respect for their customers makes me sick.
Anyway, I had the dealership put in a brand spanking new one, and she is accelerating like a trooper. (whatever that means)
Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I fixed the lag/rush problem. I had my alternator replaced. I had it rebuilt about 13 months ago (which just happened to be when the acceleration problem started) and it just went bad. And guess what? They gave me a one year warranty. Coincidence? Some companies total lack of respect for their customers makes me sick.
Anyway, I had the dealership put in a brand spanking new one, and she is accelerating like a trooper. (whatever that means)
Same for me. Alternator fixed the lag. (: