Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-12-2002, 07:00 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Visor Surgery

I was able to perform a successful surgery on Cleo's drooping passenger visor. Here's the procedure.

Remove the visor from its mounting, and pull out the little arm it pivots on. Look inside the visor at the plastic piece that the arm sticks into. Chances are that you will see that it is split on one side or the other. That allows it to open up, and let the visor slip.

If you see a break, carefully clip the cover, using a sharp pair of small scissors, for about 3/4 of an inch, along the top edge of the visor. This will allow you to pull the covering back to expose the plastic bushing. An extra pair of hands may be handy here. Push the broken edges together, and with a small soldering iron, 40 watts or less, weld the broken edges together. Warning #1. If you use too big an iron, or lay on it too long, you'll melt the whole affair. Warning #2. The fumes are really nasty, be sure to have really good ventilation.

I also reinforeced the weld with a thin piece of metal. I cut a strip of flashing aluminum about 3/16 wide, and long enough to wrap over the bushing. I made little "feet" on each end by folding about 1/32 at right angles, so it would dig into the plastic. I then used the iron to melt one end into place, wrapped it over the top, and melted the other, since I had a crack along both sides of the bushing. It looks like a letter "U" with the little feet pointing in at the top of each leg.

Using gray thread to match the visor covering, close your incision, and remount the visor.

It isn't as good as new, quite, but at least it stays in place (so far).

P.S. Even if it only lasts a while, it beats the $150.00 for a new visor assembly.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.

Last edited by svxter; 02-12-2002 at 07:03 PM.