How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Genius. Darwin Award Nominee From Nasioc.

We've all done it at sometime or another. It was fun when we did it. We also know that it probably wasn't the smartest thing that we've ever did although it may be fun to brag about.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=545366

Keep in mind that the area that he's talking about is inside the city of Atlanta and is one of the most congested areas to drive in. Also remember that during rush hours you can be stuck in these spots for over an hour. All we need is some accident where 1 or more people requires the EMT bloody remains scrape off the concrete service.

Oh well.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Definite Darwin Award Nominee...

The guy still doesn't get their point - that's just sad!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-22-2004, 09:18 PM

Hopefully when he takes himself out, he does it solo (so we really can send him in as a Darwin candidate).

reminds me of motorcycle rider accidents - most fatalities are solo. And many of the accidents in which the cage (car) is at fault is because the motorcyclist came up on the driver so fast they simply weren't ready for it. Doubt that? Ever thought about how fast a Suzuki 1000 can cover the 1/8 mile? In case you don't know, they can go 0-100-0 faster than a Viper/Z-06 Vette can go 0-100.

BTW, not picking on the bike riders, since I've been one myself for the last 36 years.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Hopefully when he takes himself out, he does it solo (so we really can send him in as a Darwin candidate).

reminds me of motorcycle rider accidents - most fatalities are solo. And many of the accidents in which the cage (car) is at fault is because the motorcyclist came up on the driver so fast they simply weren't ready for it. Doubt that? Ever thought about how fast a Suzuki 1000 can cover the 1/8 mile? In case you don't know, they can go 0-100-0 faster than a Viper/Z-06 Vette can go 0-100.

BTW, not picking on the bike riders, since I've been one myself for the last 36 years.
I agree with you lee. I hope that he only takes himself out and not some poor bystander. I remember seeing on the news a few weeks ago about some idiot was going too fast on some local roads, hit something, lost control and jumped the curb hitting people at a bus stop. A few victims died, many injured. One of the people hit was a pregnant woman who did not make it. That idiot lived. You cut on the news and hear stories like this and idiots like that are too stupid to think any better. Waste of skin and air in my opinion.

What do you think is a good bike to get for a beginner lee? I recently got my learner's permit and was looking for a decent bike to learn on and not get killed. I have a truck and was thinking about getting something to tow it up to the North Georgia mountains. Ironically, the road I normally take is GA400. I'd probably get run over by that punk .

Don't get me wrong. I like an adrendaline rush as much as anyone else. But I find hobbies that won't hurt others.

Like treeclimbing

Last edited by Noir; 04-22-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:53 AM

a good beginner's bike is one that will also meet many or all of your ultimate needs (unless you have lots of cash) - as long as you can exercise restraint.

I need to know what you intend to do with it - cruise, curves, on/off road, off-road only etc. Then, even if it's a sporty bike, will it always be on the street, or will you do track days. Do you want ultimate performance in your class, or something different from the crowd, etc.

finally, i couldn't recommend strongly enough to take a motorcycle safety foundation (MSF) course. they have beginner and experienced rider courses. think of it like this - do you think you would become a better golfer by just getting some clubs and swinging away, or by taking some lessons first. I think the current price for the beginner course is around $200, but they furnish the bike too. the experienced rider course is about the same price, but you use your own bike (I've taken the latter twice now). plus it usually gets you an insurance discount
Old 04-23-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
a good beginner's bike is one that will also meet many or all of your ultimate needs (unless you have lots of cash) - as long as you can exercise restraint.

I need to know what you intend to do with it - cruise, curves, on/off road, off-road only etc. Then, even if it's a sporty bike, will it always be on the street, or will you do track days. Do you want ultimate performance in your class, or something different from the crowd, etc.

finally, i couldn't recommend strongly enough to take a motorcycle safety foundation (MSF) course. they have beginner and experienced rider courses. think of it like this - do you think you would become a better golfer by just getting some clubs and swinging away, or by taking some lessons first. I think the current price for the beginner course is around $200, but they furnish the bike too. the experienced rider course is about the same price, but you use your own bike (I've taken the latter twice now). plus it usually gets you an insurance discount
nice. i wanted to cruise through curves through the mountains and on nice holiday nights where not much traffic is around. no track days and sometimes on the street. i don't trust atlanta traffic so i'll go else where to ride.

i tried to sign up for the MSF classes twice, but i couldn't get an opening. apparently the waiting list is extremely long. guess i'll try again.

thanks for any tips lee. you're a good man!

i've had my eye on the ducati st4 and the ducati monster for some time now. insurance is what keeps me from buying one now. last time i got an estimate for $6k a year for that model. i could buy freaking 1 new bike every 2 years for that price. anyway, i'm thinking about something cheap and fun, doesn't have to have a ton of power since that would probably get me killed faster. that way i can pass the bike along to a friend after i learned how to ride.

i'm going to start a motorcycle gang . all my friends are invited

Last edited by Noir; 04-23-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:36 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Motorcycles..... yum!
That is one of my goals after paying down some bills.
We are going to have a motorcycle again after more than a decade of not having one. And I think it's going to be more like two bikes, cause I want to learn to ride myself. I am somewhat limited in what sort of bike I can get cause I'm only 5' tall. But we'll see, one day!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 04-23-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

nice. i wanted to cruise through curves through the mountains and on nice holiday nights where not much traffic is around. no track days and sometimes on the street. i don't trust atlanta traffic so i'll go else where to ride.

...snip...
since you looked at a Duc, I'm going to assume you want something at least a little out of the ordinary.

In which case I think the monster series is good, but you've already seen the pricing - both for buying and insuring.

doing that kind of riding, wanting something different than the typical Honda 600, and knowing myself, and that's all one can really answer for, i would look at one of these three (American, Japanese, and English just to round out the Duc as potential choices):

Buell lightning 9R, good torque, good cornering response - buy USA (although there are a lot of Asian products bolted on)

http://www.buell.com/en_us/products/...9r/9r_main.asp

suzuki SV650s: best bang for the buck

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/SV650SK4/

and, the Triumph 900 speed triple - best sounding engine and the best name for a riding club, the RATs

http://www.triumph.co.uk/site/bikes/page.cfm?BikeID=89

Note: I deliberately left off the BMW bikes due to initial cost, but if you want the boxer equivalent to the Subaru.... http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machin...p?model=r1150r
Old 04-23-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thndrmtn92svx
Motorcycles..... yum!
I am somewhat limited in what sort of bike I can get cause I'm only 5' tall. But we'll see, one day!
does make it tough, but there are a fair number that would fit you well. look here for help/support

http://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles...ort_riders.htm

BTW, I ride a 29 year old Norton 850 Commando, Roadster model, I'm 5'9", and can't put both feet flat on the ground
Old 04-23-2004, 03:16 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Cool site!
Thanks for the link!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 04-23-2004, 03:51 PM

michelle,

i hope you do ride again, and be the "driver" this time. I belong to the International Norton Owner's Association (INOA) - a collection of mostly old farts - such as myself, and this was recently posted by a member:

While riding in the long shadows of the afternoon today the passing light casting silhouettes of my youth far away, back when the earth was new and without sorrows - a world of astronauts and ultimate tomorrows - I was on the run. There was someone riding with me...He was there, I swear, it was the Ghost of Steve McQueen.

maybe you get that, maybe not. it helps to have seen the movies "Great Escape" and "On any Sunday".

I don't know if you're a dog owner/fan, but here's an old favorite bumper sticker:

motorcycle riders know why dogs stick their head out the window