Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects

Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Re: ECUTune Stage III twin screw supercharger sign up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMattrimxX View Post
well that is a shame. This would have been a really cool addition to the already dwindling parts list for SVX. Maybe someday, when pigs fly, hell freezes over, the sun goes black, and all life ceases to exist, we can have nice things.
Oh and I forgot to say Thank you for at least trying on this. I still say it has a lot of potential, but potential probably isn't everything (ie. money). But again thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Driving in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
They didn't fit under the hood as well as I had hoped. We had to use the smallest pulley possible, mess with the engine mounts, put spacers in the sub frame, and remove the insulation under the hood above the pulley to get clearance.

At that time the ECUtune firmware changes were not the "aggressive" versions we use now. AKA they required the ECU to use the knock sensors to learn in a large amount of advance on top of the primary ignition table. A couple cars did this well--many did not.

We were originally going to have the fabrication work done by someone else but somehow I ended up doing it myself and the machine work was done on a small, cheap, chineese, manual mill and lathe. The manifolds and pulleys were really beyond the capacity of the machines and as a result are a bit rough. With access to a nice big CNC mill it actually wouldn't be a big deal to clean the machine work up and true up the mating surfaces if I came accross one of the ones I made back then but I would definitely do so.

So long story short just the originals were made and they could use some refinement.

Dang... I swear I have seen supercharged SVXi out there. Are they from a different source? One-off creations? I want a bit more power in my SVX, the 5 speed is amazing, but a little more zip would sure be nice. Anyone selling one of these old kits by chance? :-)

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 12-17-2018, 05:33 PM

Time to learn how to fabricate. I have one of the kits and I have had to rework most of it to get it setup well. Looking back on it, a large single turbo on my built motor would have gotten me a lot more for the money with way fewer headaches.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
...Looking back on it, a large single turbo on my built motor would have gotten me a lot more for the money with way fewer headaches.
Can you expand on this thought please?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
Can you expand on this thought please?
I'm limited to around 11psi while over revving the supercharger before redline. On a high compression motor this may be fine, but I have a forged lower compression motor. I could get much more out of it with a more efficient turbo pushing higher boost levels. To get any more from my current setup I would need to either add a turbo, or go to a larger supercharger with a larger pulley so I don't over rev it.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2649 View Post
Dang... I swear I have seen supercharged SVXi out there. Are they from a different source? One-off creations? I want a bit more power in my SVX, the 5 speed is amazing, but a little more zip would sure be nice. Anyone selling one of these old kits by chance? :-)
I'm a few months late to the show here. I had the first customer car with the kit. I was military at the time. It was originally a 1994 Red FWD L model. The trans went out during tuning the car. I had Tom drop in a 6-speed manual. It was running 9lbs boost. I transferred out to San Diego and sold the car to someone from northern California, along with parts to start a built engine (CP pistons and Eagle Rods). I want to say I sold it some time in late 2010 or early 2011. I couldn't get it tagged and had moved on into a new Camaro SS.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Quote:
Time to learn how to fabricate. I have one of the kits and I have had to rework most of it to get it setup well. Looking back on it, a large single turbo on my built motor would have gotten me a lot more for the money with way fewer headaches.
Couldn't you just have a larger crank pulley made? That's like $300 or so I believe but would save a lot of hassle. If you made the crank pulley another inch in diameter, that would give you a few more PSI on the supercharger, right?

https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/st...STpulleys.html
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
Couldn't you just have a larger crank pulley made? That's like $300 or so I believe but would save a lot of hassle. If you made the crank pulley another inch in diameter, that would give you a few more PSI on the supercharger, right?

https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/st...STpulleys.html
I'm already over revving the supercharger at the 7k RPM redline. The only thing a larger crank pulley will do is add more heat and blowup the supercharger.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX

I'm rebuilding the shadow machine giving it a stroked 3.7 have not ever drove bought it torn apart was thinking of adding 2 sts turbos i have looks like i need to look at the supercharger on it to see if it can handle the added rpm's

Quote:
I'm already over revving the supercharger at the 7k RPM redline. The only thing a larger crank pulley will do is add more heat and blowup the supercharger.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:06 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Quote:
According to Whipple, you still have plenty of room to rev:

Model Displacement Max Continous RPM Max Peak RPM Max CFM Max M^3/HR Max PSI Peak VE Peak AE SC Blueprint (PDF)
W100AX 1.6 Liter/rev 18,000 20,000 1120 1902 30 99 81 100AX

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...iew&page_id=15
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

I plugged in what I "think" our ratios are from memory and it looks like you could get up to an 8" crank pulley before you're getting close to the maximum rev limit of what our superchargers can handle.

https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx
Old 09-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
According to Whipple, you still have plenty of room to rev:

Model Displacement Max Continous RPM Max Peak RPM Max CFM Max M^3/HR Max PSI Peak VE Peak AE SC Blueprint (PDF)
W100AX 1.6 Liter/rev 18,000 20,000 1120 1902 30 99 81 100AX

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...iew&page_id=15
With my current 5" crank pulley and 2.25" supercharger pulley at 7,000 RPM the supercharger is spinning roughly 16,000 RPM. I'm just over the max edge as it is and looking at the efficiency graph I'm out of juice at that point.

Also this isn't the w100ax it is a 1600ax which has a listed max RPM of 13,000 and the graph is tested to a max of 15,000 RPM.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:47 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

Doh, you're right. I was looking at the wrong model on the chart. I didnt realize the max rpm for the 1600AX was so low. I wonder if the 100 has the same dimensions as the 1600AX. Maybe it could be swapped out with the newer model?
Old 01-30-2020, 04:16 PM

Registered SVX

Mike DO you have this set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
I can't promise I'm going to supply these as part of the kit yet but I've made a 4 piece crank pulley which allows me to change the boost with the change of only the ring which drives the supercharger. The belt doesn't even have to be changed. I haven't drilled and tapped it for assembly yet but otherwise it's complete. Four 6mm socket head bolts will hold it together. With this pulley I've also started recessing the belt grooves .03 inches so that there are flanges on the sides of the belts to make sure they don't walk.

4 pieces with two different size drives for the supercharger belt.

Starting with the alternator drive face down, the smaller choice of supercharger drives stacked onto it.

Then the spindle stacked onto that.

Then the ac drive stacked onto that.

A view of it on it's side

A view of it with the larger supercharger drive selected.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

No, he only made 7 kits and they are scattered across the world. I have one in Texas, Jason has one in Massachusetts and i'm not quite sure where the rest are. I think one made its way to Australia, but i could be wrong.

Ray

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: