How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2001, 02:43 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by carpedick
Hey, is it too early to say aredub? Maybe the previous owner of yours decided they didn't like the blue "tinted" glass and decided to take it all out and replace it with bronze. Hey...it's possible.

Oh, and for all those who care, I checked on parts.com. 3 are listed that look like they'd be in decent shape. 1-94 in MI for $200, and 2-92's in CA for $500 each. So you'd be talking about $150 or so in shipping still not a bad deal.

Oh and one last thing, regardless of how it's listed, tinted or blue, in the process of replacing mine, I held a sheet of white paper behind it, and the tint is blue.

The controversy continues....geez if it isn't AWS it's the tinting of windows.
If you end up having to buy one in CA for 500.00 + 150 shp (650 total), then, I'd go ahead and buy new from subaruparts.com and spend the extra 105.25 (price is 755.25) and get free shipping. But then, that's just me.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-17-2001, 03:57 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Now, I'm laying this out up front to avoid any possible tincture of an inkling that I'm being argumentative. I'd like to know for absolutely sure also. I did look it up in my handy dandy parts book. The "Shaded" (it didn't list it as "blue" as a Subaru part -- it did as an a/m part through NAGS). The bronze was more expensive than the "Shaded" which, I would think, would indicate that there was something different besides the color -- but, that's just me. The '92's were listed with "Tinted Solar Control Glass" as standard. No differentiation. Mine is an '92, it has gray interior and has a bronze tinted windshield. Hmmmm. Again, I'm just wondering, here. I only know what I've been told. I'll have to do some more research, I supposed -- yes -- I could be wrong (about this, at least ) Still doesn't explain why radar detectors (both Leo and Steve Wasion) work better on a "blue" windshield than a "bronze."
When I had to get the windshield replaced on my first SVX (teal green '92), I checked on this issue and they told me there was a "grey" and a "bronze" available. I asked for the bronze, but they said it wouldn't look right, so I decided not to try with it.

I have noticed though that if you look closely you can see the different coloring in the glass. If you look at a black 94 & up SVX with the tan interior after it's been rained on, you can see the bronze reflecting in the raindrops on all of the windows, not just the front. I've also noted that if you look at black over claret '92 SVX's from certain angles, you can see that the front windshield has a bronze tint to it. My 2 cents on the issue.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 07-17-2001, 04:57 PM
KEVINL

When I had my windshield replaced they asked me what color it was I gueesed and said it was blue. I don't know what color my car originally had. I'm assuming it goes by the color of the car
Old 07-17-2001, 05:04 PM
carpedick

Quote:
Originally posted by KEVINL
When I had my windshield replaced they asked me what color it was I gueesed and said it was blue. I don't know what color my car originally had. I'm assuming it goes by the color of the car
Now it all makes sense, I have a friend with a black svx and his windows are tinted black, no wonder he has so many accidents. He's gonna be happy to hear this.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:01 PM
tat2skullz

Quote:
Originally posted by SvXit

I have noticed though that if you look closely you can see the different coloring in the glass. If you look at a black 94 & up SVX with the tan interior after it's been rained on, you can see the bronze reflecting in the raindrops on all of the windows, not just the front. I've also noted that if you look at black over claret '92 SVX's from certain angles, you can see that the front windshield has a bronze tint to it. My 2 cents on the issue.
Wow! Olu staring at an SVX, in the rain, in complete amazement at the color of RAIN DROPS on the windshield? What an image!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present a true SVX fan in the purist sense, still just as mystified by this car as they day he bought his first.

Damn! I miss my SVX

Seth

ps. Good to "see" you Olu
Old 07-17-2001, 09:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tat2skullz

Wow! Olu staring at an SVX, in the rain, in complete amazement at the color of RAIN DROPS on the windshield? What an image!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present a true SVX fan in the purist sense, still just as mystified by this car as they day he bought his first.

Damn! I miss my SVX

Seth

And, good to see you Seth. I've seen you lurking. When you coming to KY to slug some Ale-8-1's? Ain't it about time you replaced that SVX? C'mon, you know you want to. There are plenty of cheap ones in New Jersey --
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-18-2001, 07:48 AM
tat2skullz

Quote:

And, good to see you Seth. I've seen you lurking. When you coming to KY to slug some Ale-8-1's? Ain't it about time you replaced that SVX? C'mon, you know you want to. There are plenty of cheap ones in New Jersey --
Thanks Aredub! Ya know, actually, that might not be a bad idea, going to KY. My wife has never been there, and I could visit some relatives along the way. If I ever make that plan, I'll be sure to swing by Owensboro. I actually mentioned getting another SVX to my wife the other day.... the scowl I got wasn't pretty... I guess she still has some reservations about the last one. But, as soon as I get a house, I'm sure she'll change her mind.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:19 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally posted by KEVINL
I saw a chart somewhere for that, I think it was in my SVX parts catalog. Each paint color is matched with a specific glass tint (blue or bronze).

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-18-2001, 08:24 AM
Habesha

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26

I saw a chart somewhere for that, I think it was in my SVX parts catalog. Each paint color is matched with a specific glass tint (blue or bronze).
IIRC, the claret and polo green SVXs got the bronze tint w/ the tan interior. The pearl and ebony SVX's got the blue tint w/ the charcol interior. I'm not sure if the lagoon blue got the blue or bronze tint, nor am I sure which leather they got (they had grey cloth seats on the L models though)
Old 07-18-2001, 09:37 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
But, as soon as I get a house, I'm sure she'll change her mind.
Well, come on down! And, yes, nothing like a high dollar distraction to make a lady ignore the "miniscule" price of a car. Let me know when you're coming and I'll clean the pigs and chickens out of the front room so's we'll all have a place to sit.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-18-2001, 09:41 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Habesha

IIRC, the claret and polo green SVXs got the bronze tint w/ the tan interior. The pearl and ebony SVX's got the blue tint w/ the charcol interior. I'm not sure if the lagoon blue got the blue or bronze tint, nor am I sure which leather they got (they had grey cloth seats on the L models though)
Hmmm. My tint definitely ain't blue. Are you speaking of the '92 or the 94 pearl? I'm guessing 94 since your speaking about "lagoon" (Laguna) blue and Polo green.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-18-2001, 10:06 AM
Habesha

Quote:

Hmmm. My tint definitely ain't blue. Are you speaking of the '92 or the 94 pearl? I'm guessing 94 since your speaking about "lagoon" (Laguna) blue and Polo green.
I *think* I got my info off Joe Spitz's web site. Then again, I may be misquoting some of it too - BTW, I'm rethinking that XT-6 offer
Old 07-18-2001, 02:53 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Quote:

Damn! I miss my SVX

Seth

I know it sounded funny, but I must've been walking past the car at just the right angle when I noticed that the raindrops on the windows had a bronze color to them! I have noted bronze tint on the black over claret '92s, all '94-97 black SVX's w/tan interior and 94-97 bordeux pearls. I've never noticed if the red SVX's from any year had bronze tint, and I'm certain the Laguna blue 94-96's and the 92 and 94 black over pearls had the blue/grey tint.

I'm a detail freak, so I tend to notice the little things about certain cars. Like I can tell the differences between stock '85, '86, and '87 Testarossas. Totally usesless tidbits of info, but I've managed to remember them. But I can't rattle off my new work address!

Nice to see you as well, Seth. I'm getting the hang of this "Other" club.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 07-19-2001, 06:10 AM

I recently replaced the windshield on my 92-black/grey. The cost was $1250 installed, thank god for insurance, and was blue tint to match the side windows. I have no problem with my radar detector but can't get my automatic toll reader to work.
99 Acura 3.2 TL, 51K
Old 07-19-2001, 06:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Satanta widshield...

Why did your windshield get replaced. Was it broke? or did you just convince the ins. company that you couldn't see out of it anymore. Mine is a mess and I'd like to get it replaced, but I've stopped short of throwing a hammer through it.

BTW, your car looked great!

- Jeff