Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: UV Coating beginning to delaminate from front grille and headlamps. Solution?

I am personally not a fan of the glass headlights. They seem to be more susceptible to road rash and once they become hazy there is no way to repair them. I have imported a few sets of glass headlights over the years, and have not been happy with the clarity of them. I think a new (or well maintained) set of the plastic lights have a nicer look to them.

I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes. This is just my opinion based on my own experience.

Also, considering the plastic lights have lasted over 22 years and are only now JUST starting to lose their coating (only that small bubble on the grille), A new set of plastic lights should last for at least that long as well.
2001 Audi S8
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Re: UV Coating beginning to delaminate from front grille and headlamps. Solution?

I have taken the cheap way to polish my headlights/waterfall grill and put on a coating. Need to do it a couple of times a year but doesn't take long. Just use toothpaste and a mildly coarse scrub sponge. Then I coated them w/Meguiar's PLASTX and put a final coat of Meguiar's HEADLIGHT PROTECTANT (claims clarity /UV protection). Headlights have remained very clear. I have also been told that a less expensive UV protector is universal clear floor polish available in any supermarket/Home Depot/Target; not a WAX but the clear acrylic type.