Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Registered SVX
Mystery Brake Leak, Help!

so, I once again have the dreaded dead pedal. and Ive lost a bottle of fluid, over the last 1,000 miles or so, and I can bleed the brakes, get a pretty solid pedal, and then, like someone pulled a petcock, I check and im out of brake fluid, and light comes on, this time ive really had enough.

I cannot find a single drop of brake fluid from the rubber hoses, to the calipers. and all engine compartment lines. The calipers check out good, and im not leaving any fluid where I park, other then the oil my eg33 likes spewing.

I cannot find the lines that run around ( in??) the car? a diagram would be really killer! or someone with a similar experience,

I even sat in the garage and pumped it for an hour, and got NOWHERE.

help please!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Mystery Brake Leak, Help!

The brake lines to the rear brakes run through the insides of the car. It's possible for a leak to hide along those somewhere. Start looking from the back forward since those areas are more prone to rusting. They go through the inside of the car, under the carpet/door sill area on either side, then at some point they go back outside of the car toward the rubber lines. I remember some lines going through floor under the rear seat, but I forget if those were fuel or brake lines or both.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

All that fluid has to be going somewhere! That stuff eats paint and lots of other stuff for lunch, so I'd pop those door sill covers and prepare to suck it all out with a baster or such. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

IIRC Mike621???(sp) had a master cylinder leak at the firewall in the inside. If you are loosing that much fluid it should show up somewhere. Are you noticing any unusual amounts of exhaust smoke?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 AM

I would add that if its leaking inside the car you should be smelling it, that does not sound like any fun, good luck with the fix...............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Registered SVX

found some fluid seeping between the master cylinder and down onto the exhaust,

Finally getting around to replacing it in the next few minutes, fun fun fun.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
IIRC Mike621???(sp) had a master cylinder leak at the firewall in the inside. If you are loosing that much fluid it should show up somewhere. Are you noticing any unusual amounts of exhaust smoke?
Yes.

Check your master cylinder reservoir.

The black gasket where it meets the reservoir was leaking on my car, albeit slowly.

Also check under the center rear of your car for fluid for any additional leaks, as the rear hard lines do go out on our cars and I had to replace them on mine, too.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The brake lines to the rear brakes run through the insides of the car. It's possible for a leak to hide along those somewhere. Start looking from the back forward since those areas are more prone to rusting. They go through the inside of the car, under the carpet/door sill area on either side, then at some point they go back outside of the car toward the rubber lines. I remember some lines going through floor under the rear seat, but I forget if those were fuel or brake lines or both.
I checked before my parts car was taken away, the passenger side is brake lines, the driver's side is fuel lines. (In case anyone's searching years later or something).
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 PM

Registered SVX

icing death, thanks,

suspision of master cylinder was correct, all the paint came off my brake booster, go figure. it was loaded up with crud too, bench bled the master, dropped her in, went to bleed the wheel cylinders, and flush out the old fluid.... and well, she didnt exactly like the high pressure.

well, I hear a hissing after I shut the bleeder, figuring the evening was getting to me, after watching the wings game and a late start, and suddenly a crack and torrent of brake fluid rushes from the hardline inside of the subframe railing directly above the fuel filler tube.... I need this thing to work to travel 600 miles this week!

Where can I get hardlines!? can i use one of those patch things??
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wrix View Post
icing death, thanks,

suspision of master cylinder was correct, all the paint came off my brake booster, go figure. it was loaded up with crud too, bench bled the master, dropped her in, went to bleed the wheel cylinders, and flush out the old fluid.... and well, she didnt exactly like the high pressure.

well, I hear a hissing after I shut the bleeder, figuring the evening was getting to me, after watching the wings game and a late start, and suddenly a crack and torrent of brake fluid rushes from the hardline inside of the subframe railing directly above the fuel filler tube.... I need this thing to work to travel 600 miles this week!

Where can I get hardlines!? can i use one of those patch things??
I replaced my rear hardlines when my rear subframe and differential was out. They are fairly inexpensive from subaru and the junction where they connect is on the left side of the car in front of the wheel adjacent to the subframe bracket.

If you have a flare tool, you may be able to patch it if you can see the actual leak, but I am unsure of the success in "patching" lines and would avoid addressing the problem in that manner unless it was an emergency situation only. (Even in that case, the only safe way to fix a corroded brake line is to replace it, IMHO)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM

Registered SVX

yea, id like to drop the subframe to doit thats just rather impossible for me., can the line be weaseled out with the subframe in?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wrix View Post
yea, id like to drop the subframe to doit thats just rather impossible for me., can the line be weaseled out with the subframe in?
The line's stock position utilizes clips which are clipped into the underside of the trunk pan, so you might be able to weasel something in there, but it would not be retained properly and could wear through again/corrode if not securely fastened.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks mike,

well, here it goes... out the to garage.

Ive decided first ill try to patch it, if this appears to be illogical ill
try to replace the line with a hand bent line, in the same place.

if all else fails my car gets custom brake line routing until I can get some more time to tear her apart......

I really REALLY love my svx... im hoping we can have a lasting relationship and put this behind us!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX

rust. rust. rust. plus brittle lines = major headache.

and Id really hate to be a pest, but was just on subaruparts, I cant find the SVX? can someone send me brake line kit link? wasnt much help.

I really should do most of the brake lines on this car, they really have some devilish bends eh? Should I eventually drop the subframe? and do all my brakelines
Handbend the lines or should I just get a kit. michigan dirt and salt sucks.

is there an easy other route or do i match the factory bends? does it matter?

Last edited by Jay Wrix; 03-29-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

For Subaru Parts.com, you need to have an account and be logged in, then select OEM Parts, scroll down to parts look up there will be a link for SVX and one for 02-05 Imprezza. Once you are there navigation is pretty easy.

Here is the link for the 92 SVX brake parts pages.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ear=1992&scn=2
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007