IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Subaru "Clear" Prototype Article

"....
Equally significant, TheDetroitBureau.com has learned, Subaru’s Boxer Sports Car – as it is currently referred to – will come only in rear-wheel-drive configuration. It will, in fact, be the only model in the Subaru of America line-up that won’t be sold exclusively with all-wheel-drive.

Toyota is showing off its own prototype of the new sports car, the FT-86 Concept II.
As one source said, “You want a car like this to be a little tail happy,” meaning you can truly toss it around in the corners.
The final production model will be a bit smaller and a fair bit lighter than the current Impreza- based Subaru models, and what you might call well-founded rumors suggest it will deliver about 200 horsepower, compared with the WRX at 265 hp, and STI at 305.
The transparent concept vehicle is more than just a metaphor. It offers a functional opportunity for Subaru to demonstrate precisely what it has brought to the project, notably including the 2.0-liter, Direct-Injection, naturally-aspirated inline-four powerplant."

See the whole article:
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...er-sports-car/

I do thoroughly like where Subaru has laid out the proportions on this mock-up. Let's hope those make it to the production car.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Re: Subaru "Clear" Prototype Article

This prototype is the announcement of the platform.

It is official. The production bodywork may or may not follow the silhouette of this mockup, but it is close to the FT-86 II concept, which shares the platform with the Subaru brand.

Frankly, my opinion is that this car would make a fine Toyota with Subaru power inside.

But this is not a Subaru, without even the option of AWD. The press release mentions the XT and SVX... but successor to those, this car is certainly not.

I wanted a new SVX successor, or at the least a successor to the 2.5RS or overseas GC-coupe WRX, with AWD.

Without AWD, it isn't a successor to any Subaru coupe of the past. It is underpowered compared to the Mustang, Genesis, or 370Z, and not as much lifestyle fun as a Miata convertible, and with only 2WD, it isn't an all-season warrior, either.

I was hoping for a coupe based on the Impreza Design Concept, with some up-market options from the Legacy/Outback/Tribeca lineup:
-STI/Tribeca's 5x114 hubs,
-Subaru monobloc or upgrade Brembo brakes,
-SI-Drive with magnetic Bilstein damper control programs in addition to gearbox and ECU variable maps,
-Automated-clutch gearbox. (6MT optional. Maybe with an additional 2.5 STI turbo flat 4/6MT STI variant)
-DCCD control with auto mode, and torque-vectoring rear limited slip differential.
-Powered by an EZ36 with D-4 port/direct fuel injection, and Valvematic variable valve lift, and ~100 horsepower more than the stock EG33, corked to protect it's 4EAT.

35-40K would compete with the G37x, and base A5, and this car would be more advanced than both, with better AWD than G37x, and more power than A5.

Most of that technology is already in the WRX STI, or in Toyota's current catalog for the engine tech, or otherwise on the market.

Heck, Geneva even has a car that shares some traits with the SVX, and goes further. Too bad it is a Saab. The Saab PhoeniX concept.

Minus the weird winglet arches, it is a pretty decent looking car. A straight clean black canopy would be fine. It even has window-in-a-window.

The subaru RWD coupe does nothing for me that my Miata doesn't already do better, with the top down. No current Subaru properly succeeds the SVX or 2.5RS.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 03-01-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
The transparent concept vehicle is more than just aC metaphor. It offers a functional opportunity for Subaru to demonstrate precisely what it has brought to the project, notably including the 2.0-liter, Direct-Injection, naturally-aspirated inline-four powerplant."

See the whole article:
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...er-sports-car/

Calling it an inline-four shows just how little this reporter knows about Subaru's heritage. I really wanted to like this car too, but seeing this chassis setup pretty much eleminates any possibility of it ever getting AWD due to engine/trans placement. Boxer' is right on the money describing it's competition in the current market. The only way that they could have redeemed it would have been to make a "Subaru Lover's Car" like you described to set it apart. From what I've seen; there's no reason to buy this over the Toyota variant other than brand loyalty, BUT the car itself isn't loyal to the brand either. Frankly given a choice between the two I'd more likely pick the Toyota for it's Celica-ness but on the market I imagine a Genesis would be a better purchase than either.

Subaru makes me sad. When they can't make a single product that appeals to a lifetime fanboy like me then I'd say that they've lost their path.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Domo Arigato

I like how they showed the drivetrain....on this one

Can't see the drivetrain so much, but it's cooler presentation!

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 AM

Registered SVX

Why are there spoilers over the side windows?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Why are there spoilers over the side windows?
IT'S NOT A TOOMA.

I still will be surprised if we see a US Subaru variant of the joint effort. I haven't seen anything besides SOA Blog (on NASIOC) reacting to AutoBlog (which is borderline tabloid) to show signs pointing to YES.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Nice display. I've been following the development of this car a bit and am truly disappointed at no awd version. I really was hoping to see something along the lines of the Panamera V6 which is about $70,000 Cdn.

The overall lines are similar to the Subaru prototype. The actual car exudes finesse and the cabin size and feel is similar to the SVX.
http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/panamera/panamera/
http://www.driving.ca/Test+2011+Pors...273/story.html
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 03-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Hater

Just what i wanted - a RWD Scion chick car. :yawn:

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 AM

With the report of the impending demise of the Mitsubishi Evo today...

The future for Subaru competition with that, and Subaru AWD performance in general may be in a bit of doubt.

Subaru of America already has a reputation for hindering the US market examples of the Legacy GT, compared to the JDM and ROW options.

If they point to the failure of the EVO, they could possibly use that as rationale to hinder US availability of AWD performance even more than they already do.

The future of the WRX and STI might not be so bright without the prod of competition, let alone the prospects for an AWD coupe, Grand Tourer or otherwise.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post

Without AWD, it isn't a successor to any Subaru coupe of the past. It is underpowered compared to the Mustang, Genesis, or 370Z, and not as much lifestyle fun as a Miata convertible, and with only 2WD, it isn't an all-season warrior, either.
Remember that the XT was produced with many of the cars in FWD configuration along with the even earlier GLF coupe. There has just never been a rear wheel drive only Subaru that I know of. In all honesty it would broaden the Subaru market if they would produce other than AWD vehicles. Check the southern market--you do not see many Subarus at all. AWD is not needed.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
There has just never been a rear wheel drive only Subaru that I know of.
Surely you remember Subaru's Rabbit and 360!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

And Huck's SVX!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
In all honesty it would broaden the Subaru market if they would produce other than AWD vehicles. Check the southern market--you do not see many Subarus at all. AWD is not needed.
True. Even in Florida there are relatively few subies. A RWD one would sell great around here I bet.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 PM

It seems to me that there are plenty of RWD performance cars for people who live where the weather is nice most of the year.

So I guess those of us in the snow belt get to slogg through sucky winters, AND not get a new AWD sport coupe to enjoy while we do so.

Do the people in the sunny south really need more benefits? ;-)

------------

Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
RIn all honesty it would broaden the Subaru market if they would produce other than AWD vehicles. Check the southern market--you do not see many Subarus at all. AWD is not needed.

Lee
True. The only Subaru dealership within 100 miles of here sank like a stone and closed years ago. (Now they sell Chevys there, natch.)

There is something of an AWD market here in the Appalachian foothills, though. Forester and Outback sightings are definitely on the increase (most seemingly piloted by the weekend/vacation/retiree crowd). I've still yet to see an SVX in this state other than my own.

My then-wife and I bought our first Subaru, a 4WD GL wagon, because the drive to land we'd purchased here in north Ga. was unpaved and rutted and steep. Someone who works next door drives the same car, same color, same white-spoke wheels. If I knew it was for sale, I'd have to give it serious thought. That's a Real Subaru.

dcb