How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Registered SVX
power or sport mode upgrade

I have a 97 LSi. I really want the JDM sport mode. I've heard our USDM cars are set up to be wired for the sport mode. They just don't have it hooked up. I was wondering if any of you have done this upgrade to your SVX and in particular a 96 or 97. I know most of the cars changes occured between 95-96 and wasn't sure if that's gonna make a difference. Any suggestions or success stories please lemme know???

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: power or sport mode upgrade

Search it, there's a thorough thread on the subject, if a bit lengthy. Then post in that thread if you have any issues. It's an easy mod, I have the one in my 97 set up as the manual mode switch, and the manual switch relocated behind the ashtray. It's the same with the 97s as any other year as I recall.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...power+mode+mod
Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM

Registered SVX

Actually this is the thread I was talking about: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133

Esp the pictures in the beginning should come in handy.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 PM

I tried the power mode mod today and it didnt work? i put the wire in the 4a pin and grounded it like it says...or dose it need to be grounded to the ecu wire??
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling92SVX View Post
I tried the power mode mod today and it didnt work? i put the wire in the 4a pin and grounded it like it says...or dose it need to be grounded to the ecu wire??
Going to guess your car is a 92? (If it is a 96 or 97, then there is no green "power" light in the gauge cluster to light up, but the mod will still work.)

Double check that you put the wire into the right pin, on the right module (TCU, not ECU). Make sure the wire makes a good connection at both ends. You can use any ground you like. Idk if you put a switch, but it would be silly not to have done so.

Make sure that the power light bulb is good. Have you activated the power mode the normal way, by pressing down on the throttle quickly while driving? I think the bulb should also light at startup. If the bulb doesn't work, you should still be able to feel the difference. (Here is another situation where a switch would come in handy.)

Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM

yes i have the 1992 svx, and i stuck it in the correct pin hole and grounded it to the fram of the car bc its a good ground... between the two blue wires maybe i didnt put it in far enough?? an yes my bulb works and i have activated it with regular
Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling92SVX View Post
yes i have the 1992 svx, and i stuck it in the correct pin hole and grounded it to the fram of the car bc its a good ground... between the two blue wires maybe i didnt put it in far enough?? an yes my bulb works and i have activated it with regular
it has to go through the connector and to the pin on the tcu, so its likely your wire was not all the way in. Many people have put an actual pin in the connector to facilitate this. I did not but the wire needed to be way inside I had to use a stiff thicker gauge wire.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

You can pull out the plug and make sure the wire goes all the way through. Trial and error is ok here. I highly recommend adding a switch if you haven't already.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Does the power mode modification do the same thing that the re-programmed TCU from ECUtune does ... affect the shift maps and maintain more consistent pressure to the transmission ?

If it does something different, does it complement the re-programmed TCU ? Anyone know or have experience with this ?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM

Registered SVX

The upgraded TCU makes for a happy medium between the power mode and regular (economy) mode. Each has drawbacks: power mode keeps the torque converter from locking like it should (crappy gas mileage and unnecessary heat at higher speeds); economy mode feels super slow. If you have one of LAN's upgraded TCUs I wouldn't bother with the power mode mod.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The upgraded TCU makes for a happy medium between the power mode and regular (economy) mode. Each has drawbacks: power mode keeps the torque converter from locking like it should (crappy gas mileage and unnecessary heat at higher speeds); economy mode feels super slow. If you have one of LAN's upgraded TCUs I wouldn't bother with the power mode mod.
I have installed the TCU from ECUtune. It certainly improved the driveability of my SVX in an important and positive way. I think maybe I shouldn't mess with it any more.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
it has to go through the connector and to the pin on the tcu, so its likely your wire was not all the way in. Many people have put an actual pin in the connector to facilitate this. I did not but the wire needed to be way inside I had to use a stiff thicker gauge wire.
that would explain it i do not think i pushed it all the way through thanks