IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: "Precious Reduex"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
That we agree on... Primer, base coat, etc... but after the final Primer/base coat you should apply a dark color ie Burgundy, check for imperfections (on a dark actual paint color), then do the red one...
No... you are talking about a guide coat. This is when you spray a VERY light coat of a dark paint... usually black, to check for imperfections. BUT Eric is simply having the body shop do all the work, so none of this matters anyway

Tom
Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
No... you are talking about a guide coat. This is when you spray a VERY light coat of a dark paint... usually black, to check for imperfections. BUT Eric is simply having the body shop do all the work, so none of this matters anyway

Tom
Guide coat, that's it. It could be what you said, but do you think that all bodyshops follow the best way there is?

Again, we are no experts in this, we need a certain guide done by a pro to follow or even the description of layers of paint used by the manufacturers...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Guide coat, that's it. It could be what you said, but do you think that all bodyshops follow the best way there is?

Again, we are no experts in this, we need a certain guide done by a pro to follow or even the description of layers of paint used by the manufacturers...
a guide coat should be used whenever any bodywork is being done... EVERY shop should do it, and if they have a good reputation, I doubt they are eye-balling primer

Tom
Old 09-09-2008, 04:09 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

I used to spraypaint my cars with walmart krylon. had a different color every other few months it was neet....yeah Im no expert, I want it to last so im letting them do it all.

I stopped by today and talked with the guy. He said they used PPG? I think that was it. Anyway he told me about 2 grand. and that would be with filling door dings, paint clear coat wet sand buff and all. He told me he has some new rubber stuff to put around the garnish panels under the rear upper glass.

She gets dropped off this sunday a.m....approx 2 week turn around time....got Butterflies

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

PPG is good paint. I use it everyday at work. PPG is also guarenteed for life as long as you own the car. Theyguarentee stone plasted panels, delamination, sweeling of body work, and others that pertain to adheasion problems. 2k is cheap I was quoted over $3500 just to paint from the trunk lid down stock red and another $1000 or so to spray the trunk up tricoat black.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
word words wording

She is still in the body shop but I snagged a couple shots after they buffed it so it looks kinda crappy because its got white powdery chunks on it, but its not peeling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0922081711.jpg (392.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 0922081710a.jpg (429.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 0922081710.jpg (388.4 KB, 78 views)

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
She is still in the body shop but I snagged a couple shots after they buffed it so it looks kinda crappy because its got white powdery chunks on it, but its not peeling
I knew the paint still had shine under there!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Should have got them to fill in the emblem holes. Looks Great!!
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 AM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Should have got them to fill in the emblem holes. Looks Great!!
i thoght about it, several times. im putting the alycyone badge back on though.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:00 PM
word words wording

sorry for the lack of updates for those interested....I have once again overstretched myself with projects. The rust bucket I bought from gads has begun its transformation a few months early. The monte carlo got a full body adjust and some electrical attention. House, work, dead trees, cats, summit point, wife, video games, drinking, in-laws...man I need a break!

She is still coming along just at a snails pace. Got most of the exterior body panels back on, gotta put new window guides to stop the scratching, wire for the sound system, got the drivers seat.. 4.44 tranny and rear are in. Exhaust woes..Im slacking on getting the calipers powder coated. Do i send them off or do I get my own powder coating stuff?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

How do you get the side trim off? I need to take mine off when I paint my car, I got part of it off the fender and pulled it out just far enough to get to the bottom bolts on the fender, but I couldn't quite figure out how to get it totally off, is it glued?
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 AM
word words wording

no glue just clips and 10 mm nuts. if your talking about the part on the door, the door trim pad must be removed. if your talking about the rear section the rear trim pad below the window will need to be removed. then you will have access to the nuts. The very front piece on the fender is all clips on the top half.

If you have patients, use needle nose to slightly squeeze the tabs on the pink clips and save yourself $2 per clip. sometimes they are brittle and will break anyway.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Network Design Administrator

I am always looking for updates here, I am sure she is loving life at this point.

I only hope it's her that is able to come to Reading next year. She was at Reading I, I would hope she makes it to Reading X.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
no glue just clips and 10 mm nuts. if your talking about the part on the door, the door trim pad must be removed. if your talking about the rear section the rear trim pad below the window will need to be removed. then you will have access to the nuts. The very front piece on the fender is all clips on the top half.

If you have patients, use needle nose to slightly squeeze the tabs on the pink clips and save yourself $2 per clip. sometimes they are brittle and will break anyway.
I was talking about the part that goes from the fender down the rocker panel to the rear, although I will have to take it all off when I repaint the car (Not going to paint everything with it all assembled, like whoever painted the car before I got it did...)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 AM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
I am always looking for updates here, I am sure she is loving life at this point.

I only hope it's her that is able to come to Reading next year. She was at Reading I, I would hope she makes it to Reading X.
She is definitely happier now then she was the first time I laid eyes on her.

The paint is A huge difference. Honestly, I never really cared for red. I wanted the car for its Anniversary properties, I even considered tampering with metallic in the paint.

But looking at her almost completely assembled, shes really shaping up to be a beautiful/sexy car. Red does something to me now. I start staring at her, then I cant turn away. Some kind a chemical reaction in my head that aspires me to work on it when its 17 F outside. Its like eye sex. I cant get enough!

Im not sure how far along ill be with everything but ill make sure shes mechanically sound. If you go to reading 10, I will take her there. Just dont kill me and take her back. She gets under your skin and makes you do crazy things, but im sure you knew that.