SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Of coures it isn't the battery. you said "if i jumper the solinoid on the starter to the battery it starts instantly(and the starter sounds stronger", ... My starter sounds stronger all the time with the Bosch relay on it because it is getting the full voltage from the Battery right to the starter!

That certainly doesn't sound batteryish to me LOL

If it is, I would like to have a "bad battery" like yours, maybe at least to start my SVX on a cold morning
lol, i changed batteries at the same time i finished the wiring for my 5spd swap so i could start my car from the inside9i was starting it under the hood with a wire to the solinoid. i charged my battery overnight and it now starts the car without a problem. but it seems to lose significant power if undriven for more then 12 hrs...
thats why i'm thinking that my battery is bad,
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM

things that are not constant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast View Post
lol, i changed batteries at the same time i finished the wiring for my 5spd swap so i could start my car from the inside9i was starting it under the hood with a wire to the solinoid. i charged my battery overnight and it now starts the car without a problem. but it seems to lose significant power if undriven for more then 12 hrs...
thats why i'm thinking that my battery is bad,
are sure a bummer. I would suggest if you are intent on a new battery, Costco batteries are great and virtually guaranteed forever ( if you play your cards right)
Might swing by the neighborhood auto parts store and pick up a Bosch relay for stock in case you need one anytime soon! LOL
Take care and hope it all works out soon.
Keith
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
are sure a bummer. I would suggest if you are intent on a new battery, Costco batteries are great and virtually guaranteed forever ( if you play your cards right)
Might swing by the neighborhood auto parts store and pick up a Bosch relay for stock in case you need one anytime soon! LOL
Take care and hope it all works out soon.
Keith
who said anything about a new battery i'm just gonna put it on a charger when i get home every night. it's worked well one day in a row...
god this is a very half assed temporary solution
thanks for the help
Old 11-15-2007, 11:45 PM

this is a permanent solution

open the attachment for wiring information
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx starter2.jpg (118.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM

i understand the wireing involved. i just dont want to wire in a relay. besides i already orderd a new ignition switch when i started this thread. if that doesn't fix it, i'm gonna have to get out my meter and trace some circuts. I don't like rigging stuff, there is a reason for the drop in voltage i will find it.
Quote:
Might swing by the neighborhood auto parts store and pick up a Bosch relay for stock in case you need one anytime soon!
i am your friendly neighboor hood parts guy.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Jeff don't be suprised if you find the voltage drop is simply from crappy wires that have aged beyond their useful life. A starter later that was all my XT needed.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:38 PM

don't worry ben if it's only old wires i will be happy
Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
don't worry ben if it's only old wires i will be happy

Yeah its a simple fix. Once you've already broken your back contorting yourself under the dash.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
i understand the wireing involved. i just dont want to wire in a relay. besides i already orderd a new ignition switch when i started this thread. if that doesn't fix it, i'm gonna have to get out my meter and trace some circuts. I don't like rigging stuff, there is a reason for the drop in voltage i will find it.
i am your friendly neighboor hood parts guy.
Exactly correct.

As both Beav and I have stated many times, the band-aid addition of a relay, does not eliminate the actual fault which is causing resistance In the ignition switch circuit. The fault remains and whatever is causing it, could later develop to a point whereby there is an open circuit, or resistance such that relay does not operate. No doubt this will occur on a rainy night far from anywhere.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
did you try changing out your ignition switch?
Keith,

A thoughtful and very interesting question, notably ignored.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Trevor,
That is what I said! Please try to understand the words instead of always trying to impress the few faithful people that still depend on your "expertnesses".
This problem has came up before and you tried to connect it to the temperature of the car because the cooling fans would come on. not even close to what is happening. now you want to use the existing circuitt to the relay. That is what I said!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is far more important to try to help people than to impress people. You need to send your white horse to the glue factory? Don't try to come riding to the rescue now when you couldn't work it out weeks ago when the same thing came up. It is already worked out and many people will benefit from this information.
With this system, nothing else on the car has to be changed. The alarm system works, and so does everything else. Again my car actually starts quicker than it ever did because the full voltage from the battery is applied right to both terminals on the starter,
Wake up and read the words!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When something is posted and you don't understand the words, sending a private message might be a better idea. I call it "save face"
(just trying to help you)
Your friend,
Keith
Keith,

You insinuate that my objects here are to impress rather than to help people, on the basis that I express myself accurately. This is the absolute opposite of my intentions. I often go to considerable lengths in order to avoid any impression of lecturing or suggesting paternalism.

You have previously accused me of extracting text directly from the internet, by way of making an impression. Writing complicated specifications was part of my trade, and I see no reason why I should not use the skills acquired. I reject any suggestion that I should dumb myself down, regardless that you take umbrage.

I agree that it has been necessary to again examine your confused description in order to exactly interpret the meaning, a point not in your favour. A little more effort in respect of your posts would be worthwhile, in particular the use of the the return key when it is required !!!!!!!!!!

You advise, ”This problem has came up before and you tried to connect it to the temperature of the car because the cooling fans would come on. not even close to what is happening. now you want to use the existing circuitt to the relay.”

You are stating, again in very a confused way, that in a previous instance I was wrong in some way. Please advise exactly how, when and where.

I have no need to ” save face” and I abhor sarcasm.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:58 PM

Hello again Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Keith,

You insinuate that my objects here are to impress rather than to help people, on the basis that I express myself accurately. This is the absolute opposite of my intentions. I often go to considerable lengths in order to avoid any impression of lecturing or suggesting paternalism.

I was mistaken... sorry

You have previously accused me of extracting text directly from the internet, by way of making an impression. Writing complicated specifications was part of my trade, and I see no reason why I should not use the skills acquired. I reject any suggestion that I should dumb myself down, regardless that you take umbrage.

Again, I was mistaken and I already said I was sorry about that

I agree that it has been necessary to again examine your confused description in order to exactly interpret the meaning, a point not in your favour.

On the surface, you not understanding the words looked like it was in my favour, but I will again accept your counsel on that one.

A little more effort in respect of your posts would be worthwhile, in particular the use of the the return key when it is required !!!!!!!!!!

Thought I detected a little sarcasm there, but again... I am probably mistaken

You advise, ”This problem has came up before and you tried to connect it to the temperature of the car because the cooling fans would come on. not even close to what is happening. now you want to use the existing circuit to the relay.”

You are stating, again in very a confused way, that in a previous instance I was wrong in some way. Please advise exactly how, when and where.

I could look it up for you, but you would probably not be able to accept it, and I am trying to be the "Kinder, Gentler Keith

I have no need to ” save face” and I abhor sarcasm.
Trevor, It is my nature to help others and I hope you don't take this in the wrong way but you misspelled a couple of words. in the sentence with
"a point not in your favour, I believe it is spelled favor. In the sentence right above, your last sentence, it part that says "and I abhor sarcasm".
should read "and I adore sarcasm".

Take care and thanks for the input!
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 11-17-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:43 PM

Trevor and Jeffast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Exactly correct.

As both Beav and I have stated many times, the band-aid addition of a relay, does not eliminate the actual fault which is causing resistance In the ignition switch circuit. The fault remains and whatever is causing it, could later develop to a point whereby there is an open circuit, or resistance such that relay does not operate. No doubt this will occur on a rainy night far from anywhere.
While you and Beav are stating that, what is a person supposed to do. I have already had this occur on a rainy night far from anywhere. After that experience, I put in a toggle switch under the hood temporarily and spent weeks working and tracing these circuits to no avail.

If Subaru had simply put in a relay for the starter like they did for everything else on the car, would you say their relay and fuse was a band-aid?

Jeffast, when this whole thing started, I said you don’t need an ignition switch. I was right
Now you say “I'm gonna have to get out my meter and trace some circuits. I don't like rigging stuff, there is a reason for the drop in voltage i will find it.”
Now I will say, “it isn’t in the wires” You will find that I am right again

3 years ago My Subaru wagon was totaled by a 16 year old girl type that basically totaled me as well. I will be 78 years of age in a few months and I know about the torture of spending weeks trying to work out this circuit. getting the under dash, under hood, under the car to check the circuit because , of course, the start circuit does go through the transmission switch so I am even under the car.

When you guys work it out please let us all know so I can take out the relay circuit that starts my car better than it did "when it was working right" and I can fix both of my SVX's the "right" way.
I might even take out my relay that works better than the car ever did before and put it on the shelf! On the other hand, I just might not! I kind of like the instant start thingie. Eat your heart out, Jeffast!!

Hope it works out well for you and maybe my information could help you till you get out your meter and get on that wire thing!!

Keith
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 PM

wait wait wait,
it routes the starter through the neutrial safty switch.
that suddenlt makes sense i may or may not have used to small a gauge of wire when wiring up my 5spd swap that could make sense.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:54 AM

Dang Trevor,

Quote:
Keith, did you try changing out your ignition switch?

A thoughtful and very interesting question, notably ignored.________________
Trevor, New Zealand.
[QUOTE=Trevor;509210]

....Can't you get something right just once Trevor, and make my day??

I did fall into the trap and bought a new ignition switch and installed it is on my SVX. I checked it first and when I got reduced voltage in the circuit from the old switch (about 8 volts,) I thought the contacts were bad. I sent Jeffast a private message explaining that I changed the switch and it didn't fix the problem...
I farther explained the relay that I designed that works along with all the other things that work right. I made the schematic and put it on as an attachment as I told him I would in the "private" message.
Since you get offended if I keep information from you, Trevor, I better tell you about the new rear view mirror with a compass and automatic dimming from the headlights driving behind me. I wired it up and it looks and works great. I should not explain how I did it for fear of ridicule from you.
You would probably regard it as a band-aid since it didn't come on the car from the factory and I get my feelings hurt real easy.
Come to think of it, the majority of new Subaru's from the factory do not come equipped with the great rear view mirrors. Many people buy one and have the dealer put it on.
Question: Is it a band-aid if the dealer installs it or would the band-aid only be if you or I install it?? I can always take it off and put the original back on.

Please help me with the correct answer. To my credit, It is a new Subaru mirror from the factory!
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 11-17-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Closed Thread