Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 PM

Question Trans installed but wont go into gear...

Ok, so I have LAN's super trans installed and it is in park. I put it in reverse or any other gear (d-1) and it does nothing. As in it dosent sound like it goes into gear or lurch or anything. What did I forget to hook up or do wrong?

All fluids are filled properly.

Thanks.

Greg
Old 10-21-2007, 01:13 AM
SVXtreme

Did you hook up the linkage?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
who installed it?? Were they sure they had the torque converter fully seated on the oil pump prior

Tom
Old 10-21-2007, 09:42 AM

I installed it. The linkage is hooked up but could it be done wrong? Because: in park the car does not move 9a good thing), but every other gear I put it in I can just roll the care in both directions.

As far as the torque converter, everything is mated up perfectly. Unless there is something I dont know about or understand.

The car does start up if anyone was wondering.

Greg
Old 10-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
the inhibitor switch is the electronic device on the side of the transmission which the shift linkage connects to. There is a hole in the shift linkage arm, a hole in the inhibitor switch arm, and an indenture in the transmission which should all line up with dowel pin (or appropriate size hex key, etc). Then you tighten the bolts which hold the inhibitor swtich on all the way.

The outside of the shift cable bolts to the back of the transmission. The inside of the shift cable connects to the shift linkage arm.

Did you at any time disconnect or adjust the shift cable end inside the car?

If everything in the shift linkage is correct then the problem probably goes back to the installation of the torque converter (or you don't have anywhere close to enough fluid in it).

How much fluid did you put in it?

Did you take out the input shaft? Did you put the input shaft back in all the way? Did you get the torque converter seated correctly? Three things must spline. The ones that turn are the input shaft (center most) and the pump shaft (outer most); the middle one holds the stationary part of the torque converter stationary. The input shaft turns the internals in the transmission. The pump pumps the fluid to operate the clutch packs and lubricate everything.

You can disconnect a transmisison fluid cooler hose and use a clean galon jug to catch the fluid. Have someone else start the car and it should pump fluid faster than you can imagine (so have the other person ready to turn the engine off quickly). If it doesn't you still don't have the torque converter installed correctly and the pump isn't being driven.

If it's pumping fluid and the shift linkage is operating start looking around your garage for the input shaft.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Just some dude.

I grabbed your statements from the original thread you started because looking at them I see some reason to suspect you are still doing something wrong with the torque converter installation or possibly damaged the pump or torque converter on the first go around.

The circlip that holds the pump shaft to the torque converter doesn't hold it from rotating. It only holds it on so when you pull the torque converter out it pulls out with it. The circlip is on the outside end of the pump shaft that installs into the torque converter. Since it is in between the torqe converter and pump shaft which are locked from rotating by the tab on the pump shaft it's impossible for the circlip to cause a binding like you described. You must have done something else wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus_7 View Post
After installing the new torque converter into LAN's trans and attaching it all to the car (4 bell housing bolts and 4 torque converter to plate bolts) I can only rotate the shaft about 1/8 a turn before it rubs on something/binds. If I push threw it clunks/pops and moves another 1/8 turn...What did I do wrong? I am pulling it off tomorrow to see if there is something not lined up right but I dont know how there could be.

After taking the trans back off we found the C clip that held the torque converters extension came loose and they separated. Went out and bought a really skinny pliers to reach in and pull it out. I had to reuse the old c clip and then decided to use the old extension as well. We then reinstalled the trans and everything now seems to be working. The New one would just disengage if moved even slightly.

Greg
Old 10-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Just some dude.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:54 PM

the torque converter and extension that came with the new trans, the c clip was very loose and if you would look at the extension funny it would pop out, so the first time I installed it, it of course Came Out and I had issues fitting everything together because with the roating of the torque converter it lined up incorrectly and then didnt fit properly because the budges were not in the notches then. I then replaced the c clip with my old one and everything went back in perfectly. I will try running the car with a hose detached and make sure the fluid is moving.

Last edited by nexus_7; 10-21-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Just some dude.

Like I said that comment makes me question what you are doing with it since the circlip can only come loose if you are pulling on either the torque converter or the pump shaft (I believe what you are calling the extension is the pump shaft--the thing I posted the picture of above). The circlip doesn't really have any function in operation and can't cause any binding or rubbing; it can't even go anywhere and the shaft can't turn inside of the torque converter even if you didn't use the circlip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus_7 View Post
the torque converter and extension that came with the new trans, the c clip was very loose and if you would look at the extension funny it would pop out, so the first time I installed it, it of course Came Out and I had issues fitting everything together because with the roating of the torque converter it lined up incorrectly and then didnt fit properly because the budges were not in the notches then. I then replaced the c clip with my old one and everything went back in perfectly. I will try running the car with a hose detached and make sure the fluid is moving.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:01 PM

Correct, but the clip it came with was not even strong enough to hold it in place when I was installing it so it came loose thus did not fit properly so I used my other one.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:45 PM

Im not saying the torque converter isnt the issue, but that is the deal with that initial issue.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:38 PM

Ill pull it all apart again this week and put it back together again....unless anyone else has an idea.

So, if I pull off a trans line and it does not have fluid the issue is the torque converter?

Greg
Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Just some dude.

well if you are sure you are understanding how it goes together and are puting it together right now, ok. It just sounds fishy because of the mechanics of the pieces involved. I think anyone and everyone who has ever installed a torque converter on a 4eat would agree.

I was trying to give you a check list of things to go through before.

Since your car rolls when you take it out of park we can at least say your shift cable is connected.

If you installed the torque converter bolts then the torque converter is turning when the engine is on.

If the torque converter is turning when the engine is on and it is installed propperly then the pump is turning.

If the pump is turning then the atf cooler outlet line will pump massive amounts of fluid.

Check and see if the atf cooler outlet line is pumping massive amounts of fluid or and then we will at least know if the pump is being turned.

when we know that I will continue the checklist of what to do from there.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Ok, so I am confused. I dont seem to have pressure out of the trans lines but I know everything is put together properly (it couldnt fit any other way). Everything is mated up perfectly with no gaps and the torque converter and flywheel are bolted together just fine. With the starter it starts right up. (I dont have the 2 rear o2 sensors but I dont think that would matter). I shift the car inside and it goes read, neutral and so on and matches up fine and as I stated, when i park it does not move, but in any other gear I can just push it around in both directions.

It has plenty of fluid in it but it is not moving...Ugh.

So, no fluid can flowing out (I tried both lines just incase I picked the wrong one some how).

I didnt disconnect anything inside the car.

So, remove and try again?

After removed, i there a way to attach something to the torque converter to make sure the pump is working? I dont want to pull it out, and put it all together again to find the same issue that I could have tested prior to install.

Thanks

Greg

Last edited by nexus_7; 10-21-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:02 PM

when you have the car on and you shift it into any gear, does the correct light on the gauge cluster lite up?