Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Work, Sleep, SVX, Repeat

Speedometer no longer reading, have a cracked radiator..

ok so my radiator has been cracked, and I've known for like 3 weeks. Today about an hour ago my speedometer stops working, my power button flashed like...21 times or something. I really don't remember, and the check engine light is on. I checked oil and stuff, nothing wrong there. I'm suppose to be driving to portland and back tomorrow. I just worry about hurting my car. Anyone's thoughts on this would be helpful. For the record, svx's are really expensive

* I started up my car to see how many times the power light blinked...and I believe it was 21 times. So it's an ATF issue...I guess? I don't know how expensive this is to fix..but I pray to god it can be done in a couple hours and easily.

Last edited by BeneathNorthernSkys; 10-07-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 AM

Registered SVX
do a search for transmission codes it will tell you which code breakdown is , if you allowed your radiator to go low/dry you might have fried your tranny they like and i mean really like to overheat and burn up
Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
List of TCU Trouble Codes
Trouble Code Item
11 Duty solenoid A
12 Duty solenoid B
13 Shift solenoid 3
14 Shift solenoid 2
15 Shift solenoid 1
21 ATF temp sensor
22 Atmospheric sensor
23 Engine revolution signal
24 Duty solenoid C
31 Throttle sensor
32 Vehicle speed sensor 1
33 Vehicle speed sensor 2

There you go....ATF temp sensor faulty. Check http://svx-iw.com/ to find out your codes.
Get your radiator fixed....you will do damage either way with a short or long drive.

Hope that helps
Old 10-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Registered SVX
thank you for the list hope it helps him
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
ok so my radiator has been cracked, and I've known for like 3 weeks. Today about an hour ago my speedometer stops working, my power button flashed like...21 times or something. I really don't remember, and the check engine light is on. I checked oil and stuff, nothing wrong there. I'm suppose to be driving to portland and back tomorrow. I just worry about hurting my car. Anyone's thoughts on this would be helpful. For the record, svx's are really expensive

* I started up my car to see how many times the power light blinked...and I believe it was 21 times. So it's an ATF issue...I guess? I don't know how expensive this is to fix..but I pray to god it can be done in a couple hours and easily.
I would think that you do not have to be told to keep a close eye on your engine temperature and coolant level.

Code 21 only indicates a faulty transmission temperature sensor, rather than actual excessive transmission temperature.

N.B. Check the code again. I would expect a trouble code 32 or 33, resulting from a speed sensor fault, there being two sensors with only one involving the speedometer. I can not advise which as US and my DM are different. Failure of one is backed up by the other in respect of transmission functions, so that a problem in this area will not be apparent.

If you can establish that you have only a speed sensor problem, you will not cause any damage. However if the code is "21" correct indicating a faulty sensor, you could have doubts regarding transmission temperature as the cooler is part of the radiator.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:17 AM

about the radiator having the trans cooler inbuilt ?? how do ya top it up after changing radiators i had to get a new steel top on mine after the plastic one said game over??
Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
You need a funnel with a long hose, about 1.5ft in length. You fill it where the dipstick is on the tranny, near the firewall on the driver side, all the way down in there. Test your fluid level with the engine running, in park, on level ground. Add fluid with the engine off i believe. Any local hardware store will have the funnels for about 2$, just put the hose down in the hole the dipstick came out of and fill it up.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!