Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Considering Buying a Crumpled SVX

Hey guys, a female friend of mine has an SVX thats hit in the front that she would like my assistance in selling. However, I'm thinking about just buying it myself, making it drivable, and keeping it for a winter car. I'm looking for some input from you guys.

The story is kind of funny. She's been talking about this car and how she loves it so much for as long as I've known her (about a year). I never saw the car and I come to find out that its actually in a barn at her parent's house due to some kind of transmission issue (seems pretty common). She just didn't have the money to get it fixed and so it sat. Fast forward to a couple months ago and apparently a friend of the family worked on the car and put it together so that it would be drivable and sellable. My friend happened to become friends with a self-proclaimed Subaru mechanic so she decided to let him check out the car. He drove it for a bit and I'm not sure if he did anything, but he said that the car was perfect and that it drove great.

The "funny" part is that he was out driving this car, making sure it was good to go, and while he was texting my friend to say how great it was...he ran into the back of another car. Long story short, he's not paying anything and she can't afford to fix it. So she just wants to get rid of it.

Its a White 92 w/115k. Here are some pictures:

LINK

So what do you guys think? Think I can slide hammer the hell out of that front end and get it drivable? Front bumpers seem to be hard to come by, as do hoods. Looks like the only thing it NEEDs is a radiator (and condenser if I want AC). Any comments or things I should worry about? Would it be worth $500 considering its wrecked and in essentially unknown condition? Are there tranny problems that go away and then resurface later?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
If that car was for sale near me for 4-500 bucks I would buy it right away. Tranny's are very fickle creatures on these cars. However, for that kind of money though I would go for it. A bumper is not that hard to get ( talk to Budfreak he may have one), you can get a fiberglass hood from SVXfiles ( who lives in PA) for around 450ish or an OEM one (again try Budfreak for that). You can get a radiator off of ebay for under 200.- and for the condenser.... Budfreak. Ignoring any potential tranny problems you could have that drivable for about $900-$1100 (I am going to assume you have some mechanical abilities because you mentioned hammering out the bumper beam). So... all in all would have spent $1600 or so. Not a bad deal for a 92 with 115k
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
P.S. if you need a grille I have one...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
It's probably repairable to a driveable condition... but that bent front crossmember worries me. I'm not sure how much of a load bearing component that is, but I suspect it's for more than just hanging the radiator on.

As for other damage... well be aware that the tranny cooler lines are almost certainly trash as well... replacing those might actually require a flush and/or refill of the cooler (note the stock cooler is integrated with the radiator). Beyond that, I'd check the oil pan for damage... not to mention the timing belts and/or timing cogs behind the plastic at the front of the engine. I'd also check the block around the timing belts VERY carefully for cracks... you might have a trashed engine on your hands.

It's a sad story... tragic, almost. Honestly, worst case if the tranny is good you can probably sell it relatively easily... maybe part the car out. I doubt anyone would buy it in that state, though... except maybe as a parts car. There's just not enough motivation to repair these things.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
pah. New front clip, some beating with a hammer to get the metal back into shape, find the idiot and kick him in the face...

Very nice looking car other than the damage. If you have time/resources/ability to make a project out of it I'd say go for it! Keep another one on the road and out of the scrap yard.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-20-2007, 05:04 PM

I dont believe it is load bearing. I had an old fogie pull out in front of me in a 92 tank of a volvo. I hit my brakes but I still hit him. The bar that the radiator mounts on was bent pretty good, but the body shop was able to straighten it. You can still tell bu looking at it that something has happened but there are no ill effects.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys. Engine damage would definitely be a worst case scenario. I'm not even sure how close I could look at the block until the front end is dismantled. I haven't taken a close look under the car but is that front cross member bolted or welded to the body? I honestly am not looking for a project here. I'm leaning more towards "beater" but I didn't want to use that word in the OP for fear of offending you guys.

If it requires more than a couple hundred bucks and a weekend, I doubt it would be worth it to me. I'm certainly not going to be paying $400 for a hood. Thats what hammers are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
pah. New front clip, some beating with a hammer to get the metal back into shape, find the idiot and kick him in the face...
Well, he has a warrant out for his arrest. Apparently the police are quite familiar with this guy...
Old 04-20-2007, 05:11 PM

It's welded... $200 bucks, ah I don's think that you can pull that off. At the very least maybe $500. See if you can get the seller to lower it to $300.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie
It's welded... $200 bucks, ah I don's think that you can pull that off. At the very least maybe $500. See if you can get the seller to lower it to $300.
Actually, she hasn't stated a price. I was just going to offer her $500. I'm beginning to think its not even worth that much unless someone has the time and patience to part it out.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 PM

Small update if anyone cares...

Well it looks like I can get this for $300 plus a computer monitor. I'm probably going to go over there tomorrow and try slide hammering it out enough that the engine can turn unimpeded and see what happens. If I'm really lucky, the radiator won't leak and I can at least try to take it around the block and see if the tranny is hosed. The more I look at it, the more I think the radiator might actually be fine. But I won't know until I can pull the fan shroud far enough away from the belts to run the engine safely.

Oh yeah, can anyone tell me how to remove the bumper or is it obvious? Some cars can be pretty tricky.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
For $300, hell id buy it!

Let me know if she has to part with it.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
300$ and a computer monitor is a very good buy. Here's my two cents:
First off, let me state my qualifications. Most of the people ofering advice may or may not have done similar work. I am an experianced welder/fabricator, and have a year's time in a bodyshop, mostly doing pep and paint work...but Ive learned alot through observation
Also might add that I bought a pearl with 120k that was in a front ender, and used it for parts. The frame rails needed to be replaced on that one..which is another story all together

Anyhow, personal advice.That engine is fine, dont worry about it one bit. The engine from the aformentioned accident car was touching the rad support, and the motor mounts broke because the cradle crushed. Even after 4 years in the junkyard that motor ran better than either of my two current svxi
The radiator is most likely damaged. Even if it is still straight, Id suspect the top tank to be craked. thay usually break on their own, let alone after an accident. It actualy looks as if it were already repaired. It might work welll enough for s short test drive, if at all
The radiator support. Looks to be twisted and slightly buckled...That could be remedied with a slide hammer. Worst case scenario, you need to order a new one and weld it in (They are around 80$ at subaruparts,com)
The hood....Get a new one. That one has it's crumple zone fold, and some crinkleyness right where there's underlying supports. Hammering it out likely wont work.
Bumper: You're going to need the cover and the beam. Noth are quite easy to remove. The bumper cover is held in with screws going into the fender underneath the marker lights (Remove the inner fender liner) as well as a few under the grill. I think there might be two or three under the front of it as well. Subaru's are pretty easy like that. The bumper beam itself slides into the open end of the frame rail, and is held in with two gigantic bolts going right through the top (You'll have to remove the battery or the headlights to get to them)
Transmission problems: They are fairly common, but dont let it discourage you. You'll find MANY remedies, fixes, and alternitives on this site.

Anyhow..there it is. Peice of cake..youd be a fool to pass it up. Once you drive the car, youll be hooked. They really are just a great balence between luxury, proformance, cool and sophisticated. btw, you have a private message
-Eric
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-20-2007, 09:59 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Minjin,
It looks like a steal!
I have a white rad support for free if you want to fix the car.
A white front bumper and beam for cheap.
And NEW black fiberglass hoods are $350.00.
301-707-3437
Tom.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Network Design Administrator

On behalf of the rest of us here... Please dont part it out...

I mean, seriously.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
If, somehow, this doesn't get bought. I would happily put a bid in. what are we up to now? I can put out 350$ + my gf's cat!
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!