Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
head gasket job

anybody happen to know roughly what a head gasket job is going to cost. my car went under a couple of days ago. just got a call from subaru and said that it is looking like the head gasket. i thought it was the thermostat...but i guess i am wrong.
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM

I had to redo my HG's last year at this time-- I ended up doing it myself because I had more time than money, and I'm semi-crazy, but the estimates I got and the information I've seen here indicate it's a $2000-3000 job. Most shops will tell you that pulling the engine is required, though I did it with the engine in the car. Probably would have been easier to pull it, but I didn't have a hoist at the time.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Just had mine done as well a couple months back. The shop replaced valve guides and exhaust valves, cleaning up the heads, etc for just under $3K.

Glenn

Now that I think about it, that included both front motor mounts as well.

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
just after i posted this, i called my "new' mechanic and he said it's going to be a major job and just like dave had posted 2 or 3000$...which i can honestly say, i am hesitant on the job. he suggested that i look for another engine to drop in there instead.

and looking at what i've spent on the car already - $25 000+ in just about a year and a half. i think i've had about enough on this car. i didn't choose a good car to buy and it showed itself even before i started driving it about a month and a half after i had purchased it. i brought it in to get checked out and already things had to be replaced. seized parts after seized parts or worn parts had been replaced almost every time i brought the car in for some job that wasn't an oil change. and i really sucks that i dont have much know-how or time to do work on my own.

and of course on the other side of not keeping the car - i will only get a small fraction of what i had put into the car fixing it. i'm even wondering if i would even get what i paid for the thing now. $3500.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
just after i posted this, i called my "new' mechanic and he said it's going to be a major job and just like dave had posted 2 or 3000$...which i can honestly say, i am hesitant on the job. he suggested that i look for another engine to drop in there instead.

and looking at what i've spent on the car already - $25 000+ in just about a year and a half. i think i've had about enough on this car. i didn't choose a good car to buy and it showed itself even before i started driving it about a month and a half after i had purchased it. i brought it in to get checked out and already things had to be replaced. seized parts after seized parts or worn parts had been replaced almost every time i brought the car in for some job that wasn't an oil change. and i really sucks that i dont have much know-how or time to do work on my own.

and of course on the other side of not keeping the car - i will only get a small fraction of what i had put into the car fixing it. i'm even wondering if i would even get what i paid for the thing now. $3500.

$25,000+...is that a typo?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Bill, Look where he lives!! Parts must be Hella expensive there.

More seriously though, swapping in a used motor might not be a bad idea.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
no that wasn't a typo. and believe me there isn't much upgrades on the car. parts are really expensive here..just recently bought four struts from subaruparts.com and saved myself 800$. believe that or not!
i am looking around for an engine..but a lot of places here in dont carry subaru engines..i find that one odd..i stopped calling places since they would be closed...when i started calling i think most of them has shut down for the night already
Old 12-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
where's budfreak to jump all over a thread like this one?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
drop in a used engine for $500-$700
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 PM

Yes, you can probably find a used engine for $500-700, at least in my area-- not sure about the "gates of hell" Labor costs to R&I an engine will be about the same as a head gasket job for most shops, probably $1200-$1500.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
update

ok. on friday. subaru called me and told me that they replaced the thermostat. (they went with the cheaper route). though i thought it was the thermostat (not knowing too much about cars - i thought the thermostat opened up for the coolant to go through)situation was that i noticed the overflow tank to be completely filled. so i turkey basted it back into the rad but it went back to the overflow tank and the temperature gauge in the car was going up really fast and went high enough to be at the H.

anyways. they replaced teh thermostat and said that i will only know in a week or two if that was the problem. wouldn't i know that right away? the temps are staying normal right now.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Frequent User

Take the radiator cap off, start the car up, and let it run for about 10 minutes after the temperature gauge reaches its normal operating temperature position. Watch the top of the radiator to see if any air bubbles escape. Having the overflow tank fill up is often a sign that there's air captured in the coolant system.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
Angry upate

well. got the car back from subaru last friday morning. they told me that they changed out the thermostat- the cheaper route and said that i will know in a week.
going home from work this morning,after i get off the highway the temperature gauge starts going up again..holy ****..what are the chances?!?! i called them yesterday asking what i was looking for. and the service guy said that i could smell the coolant - it smelt like burnt oil. which he told me would be an indication.
i tried to call a few places for engines last week...but nothing...
i'll have to try again after i get some sleep...i hope i can find one.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
no that wasn't a typo. and believe me there isn't much upgrades on the car. parts are really expensive here..just recently bought four struts from subaruparts.com and saved myself 800$. believe that or not!
i am looking around for an engine..but a lot of places here in dont carry subaru engines..i find that one odd..i stopped calling places since they would be closed...when i started calling i think most of them has shut down for the night already
Where you mean by "here.." ??

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Where you mean by "here.." ??
He means Canada. I can vouch for the price of Subaru parts in Canada!