How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-11-2002, 01:57 PM
deligeds

Obd-ii?

Is the on-board diagnostic computer on SVXs prior to '96 OBD-II compliant? I don't really know too much about the OBD-II standard, but it's my understanding that most (all ?) '96 and new cars are compliant. I don't even know if the standard existed before '96. Can someone enlighten me?
Old 04-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Green1995SVX

96 and 97 was the only year that the SVX was ODB-II. The connector in those years is located where the 'coin holder' is in the earlier models. I hope that helps. It's all i have.

-Mike
Old 04-11-2002, 02:29 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
In theory, they are all supposed to be ODB-I complient. The only thing is that with ODB-II, you have the same socket for all cars (if I recall).

All SVXes will spit out the info for you from ECU/TCU if you probe it where it is needed.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-11-2002, 04:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
if you probe it where it is needed.

Isn't this a family oriented site?

B.C.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Smile Probably more info than anyone wants

There's more info available than just the 'stored in memory' codes that you can retrieve by jumping wires. Most domestic cars were OBDll compliant in '95, all had to be in '96. The main difference is the connector has to be identical on all vehicles (thank you!), adaptors for various cars could cost over $100 each before OBDll.

OBDll also requires that certain parameters be available with a generic scanner - 21 parameters, if I remember correctly. Most OEMs have many, many more available if you access them with their approved scanner.

Aftermarket scanners (professional type) typically $1500- $2500. Add in annual updates, $500 - $1000 for imports and the same again for domestics. If you want to be able to 'flash' the EEPROMs to correct driveability flaws in the firmware that became problems after the cars were engineered and sold, add a bunch more for the ability and that much more for an annual subscription to each OEM's updates.

There's a lot more to this, but I see I've run away from the simple question again....
Old 04-11-2002, 09:12 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
'coin holder'
coin holder? what? where? Oh, you mean that stupid plastic thing that nothing stays in...which converted my seat into the coin holder
Old 04-12-2002, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

coin holder? what? where? Oh, you mean that stupid plastic thing that nothing stays in...which converted my seat into the coin holder
On my FWD, whenever I do on the coners, the coins stay in. On my AWD, they fall out even with a small kick. I think the AWD and FWD react differently.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k

Last edited by Seraph; 04-12-2002 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:05 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

On my FWD, whenever I do on the coners, the coins stay in. On my AWD, they fall out even with a small kick. I think the AWD and FWD react differently.

Lwin
The coins in my AWD stay there just fine. But then, I drive like Granma Moses.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-12-2002, 11:10 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:

Lwin
When I got my indeglow gauges I failed to see the purpose in it. and I couldn't find anywhere to put the controller for the gauges, so I cut off the back of the coin holder, epoxied in a peice of plexi glass, cut a hole in the plexiglass for the turn nob and the toggle, stuck those in there, and now the rear ash tray is my coin holder. A great improvement
Old 04-12-2002, 11:35 AM

Quote:

When I got my indeglow gauges I failed to see the purpose in it. and I couldn't find anywhere to put the controller for the gauges, so I cut off the back of the coin holder, epoxied in a peice of plexi glass, cut a hole in the plexiglass for the turn nob and the toggle, stuck those in there, and now the rear ash tray is my coin holder. A great improvement
Can you post a pic? I am thinking of doing the same and can't think of a nice way to put it in.

Lwin
Old 04-12-2002, 03:22 PM
deligeds

That's too bad that only the 96s and 97s are compliant. For the few of you to whom it applies, there's some really cool software out there for laptops and even palms/pocket pcs that lets you actively monitor all kinds of cool operating info.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deligeds
That's too bad that only the 96s and 97s are compliant. For the few of you to whom it applies, there's some really cool software out there for laptops and even palms/pocket pcs that lets you actively monitor all kinds of cool operating info.
If you can look for the right connector, you can get it for you 94 as well. I had look around for it a while back. If you are interesed, I have a ton of info on that as well as a computer setup for your car.

Lwin
Old 04-12-2002, 07:45 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:

Can you post a pic? I am thinking of doing the same and can't think of a nice way to put it in.

Lwin
Good thing for you my hazard thing came in today (thank you small car!!) so I had to rip apart my dash and took some pics, I took some other randomness while i was at it. But here's the link:

http://svx.8m.net/svxinterior/main.html

Let me know what you think

PS, the out of batery thing was flashing when i took these, so the resolution isn't that great on some of the last pics. Plus it was at night.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Good thing for you my hazard thing came in today (thank you small car!!) so I had to rip apart my dash and took some pics, I took some other randomness while i was at it. But here's the link:

http://svx.8m.net/svxinterior/main.html

Let me know what you think

PS, the out of batery thing was flashing when i took these, so the resolution isn't that great on some of the last pics. Plus it was at night.
Thanks for the pics

Lwin