How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Question Something wierd about different brands of gas...

Please consider the following......

This is something really wierd I've noticed since I've bought my SVX 9 months ago.

Before I became a Sam's Club member (Co. of Wal-Mart) I used to fill my gas tank up at normal Chevron, Texaco, Gate, gas stations. (And, yes of course with the premium stuff) What I noticed was that when my Gas tank was getting close to empty that when I started my car that a good-sized puff of white smoke would come out both exhausts.......at the time I really didn't think much of it, I just didn't like the look of smoke coming out the back of my car. But N-e-wayz.....I became a Sam's club member and decided that I'd get gas from Sam's because it's a little cheaper (by about $.05). So for the next 3 months I filled, and ran almost down-to- empty on Sam's premium gas......and you know what....no smoke at all!
I didn't make a conclusion then that all gas except Sam's Gas made my car smoke.......but I soon did when I went out of town and filled up twice (from empty) with Amaco's premium gas and once again when I started my car (this time not even when the gas tank was close to being empty) it puffed out a cloud of white smoke. It's been about 3 months since I've went on that road trip and so I've been using only Sam's gas since then and I haven't seen smoke since then at any time when starting my car.
I don't know what anyone else thinks, or if anyone has the scientific reason to why this is happeneing, but I just think that is pretty wierd because it's just Sam's Gas... not like Amaco's Top of the line, premium gold stuff, which does undoubtedly make my car smoke when starting.
If anyone can enlighten me or is/has experiencing/ed the same, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank-you!
Joe
Old 04-07-2002, 02:46 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Something wierd about different brands of gas...

I know that a few companies use large amounts of methaine in the production of their gas. I'm not sure where SAM's get's their gas from...my sams club doesn't sell gas. I know sunoco has a high level of methanie...but anyways, it's something to look into. Maybe you car likes the methaine