SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-12-2001, 11:53 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Unhappy

<sigh> it's been a long day. Looking forward to returning home tomorrow and driving my SVX again... not gonna happen.

No, it's nothing too bad... the car's fine... but I'm not. Last night at 1am the rental car I was driving in NY slid through an intersection at southbound Park Ave. and 58th on a slick road... and met with a cab coming down 58th.

Thankfully noone was hurt seriously... but I've now got airbag smoke and dust in my throat that's made me insatiably thirsty, my left knee is bruised up from hitting the dash during the collision... and my right arm is nicely bruised and battered from being hurled into the center console by the airbag. Nothing broken but my arm's hurting and in a sling for a couple of days. No driving for me!

The rental car; a 2001 Nissan Altima with 700 miles on the clock (630 of them racked up by me!), was totalled as near as I could see. Still, at least it took the brunt of the collision instead of me.

I know this is OT, but I figured that since this is a community, you might be interested in the happenings in a member's life.

I'm going back to the hotel now to get some sleep... I hope!

TTYL!
Old 04-12-2001, 12:00 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Youch!!

Glad you're OK. I assume your employer will deal with the car rental people, so you won't have that PITA, also. Get well soon!

Cheers
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-12-2001, 12:10 PM
Headed to Texas...

Unhappy

Thumper, it's terrible you went through all that - but it's great that you're still relatively OK!
I have been a critic of airbags (especially the earliest versions), but they can be a lifesaver.
Again, glad you're alright . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thumbs up Good News

Bad news about your accident, but good news that you came out in one (although slightly battered) piece! I guess the usefullness of airbags is not just hot air! Take some Advil and check back in with us soon....Take care...Don
Old 04-13-2001, 07:49 AM
alanscouse

Thumbs up

Thumper : Glad you are OK and the airbag sure sounds like it did it's job . What happened to the other car ?
By the way I remembered you last night when I got the dreaded message 40 routine on the Yahoo board .When I ended up there I looked at some of the old posts from 1998 and recalled that you were one of the earliest members .Glad you're still around ! Alan.
Old 04-13-2001, 10:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
OT Threads

I'd just like to add that I think it's GREAT to have personal messages like these here. WE do care about our members and you shouldn't feel bad about posting OT when it's personal.

The THREAD subject will help keep the "worried for time people" from 'having' to read OT messages.

Please, to all, feel free to express feelings, share in personal events and just to talk.

Thanks for your post.

Get better. Be glad for that bruise on your arm, it could have been your face.
Old 04-13-2001, 10:38 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Thumper, best wishes on a speedy recovery. Darn, if it weren't Easter weekend, I'd offer to drive the three and a half hours to St. Louis and chauffer you around -- just so's you won't have to miss riding in your SVX (I know how it feels to be 24 days without it). Get some rest, and recover soon.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-14-2001, 03:56 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Cool Big Thanks...

Thanks to all for your kind wishes... it's been pretty arduous. On the bright-side, my "1-handed typing" is coming along leaps and bounds

The other car in the accident was an NY yellow cab who was coming down 58th street at about 50mph... on a suspended license no less. The driver wasn't belted in, and despite being removed from the car on a stretcher, was discharged before I was in the custody of a couple of nice NY cops. He walked out of the ER... I limped!

So far I'm popping a lot of pain killers... actually I was going slow enough at the time of impact that my face never touched the airbag, but righr after it I just wanted out of that car and away from "airbag smoke"... still ended up with some of it in my lungs though, but I'll live.

I also forgot to mention that I dislocated my shoulder in the wreck too, but popped it back into place before the ambulance arrived... didn't feel it until the next morning... adrenaline's a wonderful thing, no?

Thanks for the offer dubjay, I'd take you up on it, but that's what my wife's doing until Monday when I fly back to Manhattan for 3 days to finish the job (work sent me home 1st class flight to recuperate... is that cool of them or what? )

Anyhow, my arm should be out of the sling by Monday, but I'll be wearing a wrist brace through the end of the week to allow my poor bruised tendons time to heal (and the swelling go down). I'll be quiet on the net for a few days, but hey... aren't I always any more?

And yes, I was a "founding father" of the Yahoo! club... but even I haven' checked in over there in weeks. Go figure
Old 04-14-2001, 08:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Big Thanks...

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx
<<The other car in the accident was an NY yellow cab who was coming down 58th street at about 50mph.>>

So, We're probably talkin' "Caprice" here, huh?

<<He walked out of the ER... I limped!>>

Yeah, that's what cranked me about the accident when I got my Spitfire totalled. The elderly gentleman who'd just pulled in front of me stepped out of the vehicle, unhurt -- walking with a cane. I thought to myself, "He must be looking for recruits (my kneecap was busted).

<<adrenaline's a wonderful thing, no? >>

Oh yeah.

<<Thanks for the offer dubjay, I'd take you up on it, but that's what my wife's doing until Monday when I fly back to Manhattan for 3 days to finish the job>>

Oh my goodness -- that was more harrowing than the accident, when I was injured! My wife had to drive me to work for about a month (3 days of the week, anyhow). I was a nervous wreck. I always thought the kids were exaggerating!

<<(work sent me home 1st class flight to recuperate... is that cool of them or what? )>>

Now that's major neat-o peachy keen!
Well, don't stay gone long -- there's still fun to be had. Take care.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI