Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 01-02-2005, 03:33 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Race concepts uses bradi rotors, and they are $100 +$16 shipping. The other bradi rotors on ebay are $129 + $24 shipping. so i would save $37 with raceconcepts. Also, raceconcepts still has very good feedback on ebay, although alot of it may have been obtained by the previous owners.

-Evan
Old 01-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr
Your right Drive, race concepts isn't owned by the same person but people have ordered them since and I haven't read any negitive comments on the quality of the product, so what makes you say the company is run by some not so good people?

well i take that back.. Porter had a very bad experience when the company was just changing hands. However, as this thread indicates
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...284#post225284
Ben seems to have been able to do pretty well with SVX owners since then... Here is Porter's side to the story:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=raceconcepts

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 01-03-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:32 PM
deruvian

Well, I finally got back from my vacation to my parents' in California, and managed to get everything installed! The installation went pretty well, sans the two bolts on the caliper frames in front...

They were baked into their threads so well that a hammer-to-the-breaker-bar action wouldn't even loosen them. On the passenger side, I had to use the floor jack to apply the appropriate leverage to the breaker bar to loosen the bolts. On the driver side, this wouldn't work, of course (right-tighty, lefty-loosy!) So, I had to use the breaker bar and the bar for the floor jack, and use a little downward transverse leverage via the frame... Anyway, it sucked, but it had to be done to get the old rotors off and the new ones on.

I've got (once again): Akebono ProACT pads in the front and the rear, zinc-coated slotted front rotors from Dayle (they're Bradi, I believe), and Valvoline SynPower brake fluid.

After the install, the brake pedal went straight to floor a few times, until adequate pressure built up. Then they got incredibly firm! I took it for a spin around the neighborhood, and noticed a definite howling from the slotted rotors upon braking. The first few times that I came to a complete stop, I also noticed a very loud grinding noise from the front brakes that also made the car shake a little. I continued driving, cautiously, and both the grinding and howling went away.

There is no audible howling from the brakes anymore, they're incredibly firm, and I definitely feel more confident stopping. There's still a little bit of a grinding noise when coming to a total stop and then allowing the car to roll forward a few inches, but I've heard this before, and also heard it go away before. So, no worries.

I just wish that I could have fixed my cigarette lighter first, so that I could GTech my 60-0 braking distance/G's before and after the install. However, I figured that the ability to stop at all was more important than a functional cigarette lighter.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:10 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
Well, I finally got back from my vacation to my parents' in California, and managed to get everything installed! The installation went pretty well, sans the two bolts on the caliper frames in front...

They were baked into their threads so well that a hammer-to-the-breaker-bar action wouldn't even loosen them. On the passenger side, I had to use the floor jack to apply the appropriate leverage to the breaker bar to loosen the bolts. On the driver side, this wouldn't work, of course (right-tighty, lefty-loosy!) So, I had to use the breaker bar and the bar for the floor jack, and use a little downward transverse leverage via the frame... Anyway, it sucked, but it had to be done to get the old rotors off and the new ones on.

I've got (once again): Akebono ProACT pads in the front and the rear, zinc-coated slotted front rotors from Dayle (they're Bradi, I believe), and Valvoline SynPower brake fluid.

After the install, the brake pedal went straight to floor a few times, until adequate pressure built up. Then they got incredibly firm! I took it for a spin around the neighborhood, and noticed a definite howling from the slotted rotors upon braking. The first few times that I came to a complete stop, I also noticed a very loud grinding noise from the front brakes that also made the car shake a little. I continued driving, cautiously, and both the grinding and howling went away.

There is no audible howling from the brakes anymore, they're incredibly firm, and I definitely feel more confident stopping. There's still a little bit of a grinding noise when coming to a total stop and then allowing the car to roll forward a few inches, but I've heard this before, and also heard it go away before. So, no worries.

I just wish that I could have fixed my cigarette lighter first, so that I could GTech my 60-0 braking distance/G's before and after the install. However, I figured that the ability to stop at all was more important than a functional cigarette lighter.

Thanks for all the help guys.
those noises are normal with new pads and the zinc plating
on the rotors. Break in your new pads like suggested in the
instructions and be easy on them for the 1st hundred miles
or so if possible. ....enjoy

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."