Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 11:26 PM
flamebird

SVX Article on Drive.com.au / The Age

Article can be found in full here

Subaru SVX coupe
By David Morley
The Age
Monday April 19 2004

The Subaru SVX coupe looks like a fighter jet but performs like a jumbo, writes David Morley.

Japanese car-makers had failed to build a truly sporty big coupe in the 1980s, but this didn't stop them having another go as the '90s rolled around.

Mazda's RX-7 was the obvious exception, but cars such as the Nissan 300ZX and Toyota Supra were never in proper sports-car territory. They both had their merits, but razor-sharp handling, poise and suppleness were not among them.

Meanwhile, Subaru was steadily enlarging its market share, and educating people that it was a maker of more than just quirky little all-wheel-drive station wagons. Suddenly it made sense for Subaru to have an entrant in the big-coupe category, and Australia wasn't going to miss out on that. Not on your life.

The car was called the SVX and it was launched here in 1992.

Subaru's claim at the time was that the SVX was indeed the full nine yards when it came to sporting ability. Sadly, the reality was a bit different.

Which is not to say the SVX didn't have its uses, but as a sports car there were plenty of better-credentialled contenders. The most striking aspect of the SVX was its styling, which was equal parts traditional sports coupe and fighter plane.

The bulging wheel arches disguised the otherwise slabby sides a little, and the slim light clusters at each end accentuated the car's width.

But the real highlight was the glasshouse.

With blacked-out window frames and a black roof, the idea was to make the top half of the car look like a single glass unit -- like the cockpit of a fighter plane.

The theme was continued into the front side windows. These were fixed around their edges with a separate smaller inner section, which did the actual opening.

Years before Subaru had made all-wheel-drive standard on its entire range, the all-paw SVX stood apart from its rear-wheel-drive rivals.

The system works extremely well and gives the car enviable grip on loose or slippery surfaces, although the SVX can still feel a bit nose-heavy when driven with enthusiasm.

The other downside of the all-wheel-drive system was that it made the car heavier than it might have been and takes the edge off straight-line performance, as well as pushing up fuel consumption. At 1.7 tonnes, the SVX is heavy for a car, and positively overweight by coupe standards.

Power is from Subaru's trademark horizontally-opposed piston design, but it broke new ground for the company by being a six-cylinder unit (its forebears had all been four-cylinders).

Similar to the flat-six in the current-model Liberty Outback H6 (not to mention the Porsche 911), the engine was torquey, smooth and, for the time, quite powerful.

It was moderately high-tech for the day, too, with dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. With 169kW at its disposal and a hefty 309Nm from its 3.3 litres, the engine nevertheless struggled somewhat with the SVX's bulk.

It was further compromised by not being available with a manual gearbox.

Instead, Subaru elected to fit the SVX with a four-speed automatic. To be honest, the auto gearbox was spot on for its market, but a manual would have been a much better driver's car.

Not surprisingly, the SVX was loaded with standard equipment, including cruise-control, alloy wheels, a CD player, climate-control air-conditioning, power windows and mirrors, central locking and leather trim.

On the safety front, anti-lock brakes were standard from day one but a driver's airbag only became available on cars that hit showrooms from 1993 and a passenger's airbag joined it from late 1994. In the bigger scheme of things, the SVX was a sales flop around the world. Not that Subaru gave up early -- the SVX hung around until 1997 when it was quietly discontinued.

These days the car's relative rarity plays against it a little and you might find that some trim items and even window glass will be difficult to locate for crash repairs.

Servicing, however, follows Subaru's four-cylinder car structure with a service every 12,500 km.

A minor service should cost about $210 and an intermediate (every 12 months) about $265. There's a major service at 50,000km (which nearly all SVXs will have had), costing between $550 and $600, and another major service at 100,000km, which will cost the best part of $1000.

What to pay

When the SVX was new, it cost more than $80,000. Surprisingly, good SVXs are still fetching up to the mid-20s (maybe a little more) from dealers. At that price they don't represent a bargain, especially given that some are more than 10 years old.

The competition

The competition For a big, cruisy, Japanese coupe, the prime suspects are the Nissan 300ZX in its final form and the Toyota Supra. The Nissan is the more resolved car but there's something tempting about a Supra with the romper-stomper turbocharged engine. Either would leave an SVX gasping in its wake on any measurable basis. Prices and details correct at publication date.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Once again, the Australian press displays a complete and utter lack of understanding of the SVX or what it was.

It was never meant to compete with a Supra or "sports car" such as the RX7, 3000GT or GTR to which they incessantly compare it. Rather, the SVX was more a direct competitor to the Soarer (never sold here new, hence never compared) or an GT *bold, underline, highlight, flashing lights*, BMW 8 series, Porsche 928, Eunos Cosmo - ie, a swift luxurious coupe to get you from A to B in comfort and being able to get out at the end, stretch and go "ahhh" not "*&^*&^, my back is out again".

That article is a mismash of every article to date written in OZ (see my website - I've scanned most of them in) and it is clear he knows sweet f/a about the SVX.

And no, not my bias but rather the "its an auto, how can it be a sports car, its too heavy, 169kw is not enough"...err...try what had 169kw TEN YEARS AGO.

As a USED car, the SVX is brilliant and, as the American's have demonstrated, I would much rather be in my (damn....)...AN...SVX when the 'big hit comes' and let the 1.7 odd ton of mass absorb the impact and survive than the rubbish that the press lauds praise on today.

All together now...."He's a C L O W N"

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:24 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
All together now...."He's a C L O W N"

I couldn't agree more!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 04-19-2004, 12:35 AM

Sorry, just have to add these final comments:

"The other downside of the all-wheel-drive system was that it made the car heavier than it might have been and takes the edge off straight-line performance, as well as pushing up fuel consumption. At 1.7 tonnes, the SVX is heavy for a car, and positively overweight by coupe standards".

SPEED:
Why or why is the measure of a car its ability to drive fast in a straight line? By this analysis, a 3000hp methanol funny car is surely the car to have!
Perhaps the AWD system that so blunts the 0-100kph red light derby so favoured by the HSV/WRX ilk of Australia means that when those strange things, so foreign to armchair motoring journalists called CORNERS appear, said SVX will be able to continue around the corner without a loss of speed whereas the 0-100 hero has to brake....point to point, there is not much between an SVX, WRX, Supra, Porsche 968, Liberty B4, various Commodores and a host of other cars....Jason's SVX will *ahem* remain silent on these little incidents and a very embarrased Ferrari 328 pilot whose initial comment of "pity its not a Ferrari" was shoved where it belonged on a Jamberoo blast....but I digress

WEIGHT:
By what standard of a coupe? Toyota Paseo, Mitsubishi Mirage, Toyota Celica??? Or Mercedes CL class, BMW 8 series, Bentley Continental?

*shrugs*

He's just jealous!! *and I bet he had read here too!!*

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:44 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
when those strange things, so foreign to armchair motoring journalists called CORNERS appear
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Jason.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:23 AM
flamebird

Too true!
Old 04-19-2004, 04:54 AM

He's a C L O W N"

Quote:
...."He's a C L O W N"

Degree in literature..........None in sense., Motoring writer?

The one or two little niggles I have with the SVX is the ABS and it's weight on dirt roads. Don't flame me just yet the car handles supremely on dirt the problem is when you come to a tight bend and the wheels start braking, opening and braking on dirt, this doesn't inspire confidence but outside of the Liberty's etc I have yet to find any ABS system that handles this well.

The weight of the car pushes me too deep into the corners and a good bit of drift is called for to correct this. Thankfully the engine has enough umph to recover from this. Still it goes round these corners much faster and smoother than my Ford, which is 12 years younger. What a fright, surprising how much faster the rear end of the Ford is to the front end.

Reality is that the SVX wasn't designed as a dirt car, it's a full highway cruiser and that "dead weight" sure keeps the car smooth. I've had runs to Sydney (1,000 kms) and Melbourne (1,800 kms) galore and in a variety of cars. Top run of any car I've used is the SVX. As James said it's the only car I’ve ever gotten out of and didn't complain about the car or drive or, for instance after my last run to Melbourne, require two days R&R.

I remember years ago when Morgan released the Plus 8, Vroom, that the motoring writers condemned it because sports cars should have 4 cylinders not 8. Same writers condemned the Plus 4 for being underpowered in a straight line. Writers today well Plus 8 superb dream car. Guess we won’t win against stupid clowns.

Kenn
Old 04-19-2004, 05:11 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
Suddenly it made sense for Subaru to have an entrant in the big-coupe category
I guess he would try to use the excuse that he was only talking about Australian releases but, everyone seems to forget the Vortex, which was released in the U.S. in an all wheel drive, six cylinder varient called the XT-6.
I only mention this after having a sit in one recently.
SVX owners would immediately notice the heritage once seated, minimal blindspots, multi action seats, multi axis steering (with a flip up lever!) and all the other extras we are used to.
It even retained one of my favorite SUBARU atributes, Frameless door windows!
In fact those who can remember some of my first posts on the SVX site may recall my complaint at the lack of instrumentation for a sports car with an auto box!
Surprise, surprise, the VORTEX dash came standard with a volt meter and an oil pressure guage!
(I have heard a rumour though that there was an oil pressure problem with the engine at times)
Yes, it's a bit of a shame the XT-6 was never released in Australia, as who knows where that could have led to?
Just think, a little restyling, some rounding off, (maybe some rally wins) and the WRX's may never have existed.
And just maybe, the B11 might have been sporting a FLAT EIGHT!!!
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:26 AM

Registered SVX
What really surprised me about this article is that David made absolutely no mention of the potential mechanical problems that SVXs can experience!!

(transmissions, wheel bearings, brake discs etc....)

Given that this article is a "used car" review, one would think that this is exactly the kind of information that a prospective buyer would want to know!!

It makes me wonder if David did his homework before writing that review...........!

"At that price they don't represent a bargain"

HA! What a load of.........................<insert expletive here>!!!

Jason.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:29 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
OH, for those who haven't looked at a VORTEX site for a while (if ever), check this out....
http://www.xt6.net/Galleries_main.htm
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:47 AM

Votex

Quote:
Originally posted by pylon500
OH, for those who haven't looked at a VORTEX site for a while (if ever), check this out....
http://www.xt6.net/Galleries_main.htm
Arthur.
I found out the other day that a guy at work drives a Vortex, I heard him answer a question about why he has one and his reply was much the same as any of ours on why we have SVX's. Neat car and as with all previous Subes, of that era, a natural follow on from the previous models.

Kenn

Last edited by KennEls; 04-19-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:21 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Why do we own these interesting cars?

Having had my fair share of motorcycles- large American twins are a particular favourite, there was a simple response to that painful question when people asked why do you own one of those....the answer was: if I have to explain, then you will never understand. It is about the feel of the machine and your attitude towards it.

The SVX was created as a GT, for long loping runs on open stretches of road (bendy preferably). So it is a bit weighty- BIG DEAL. I have really never found the SVX wanting for heaps more power or anything for that matter. I will agree there are a few annoying little traits that the car has, but they are not enough to stop me buying one second hand.

My belief is that the SVX represents fantastic value for money. Just tell a seasoned M3 driver or similar how much the SVX fetches second hand after they have put it through its paces, and I can assure you they are generally very impressed. I agree with James- the man is a first class clown who has not done his homework.

I have never driven in a car that has returned so much driving pleasure as the SVX. I too have had quite a few QLD runs and returns to Sydney- and many times to the snow country and unless you have driven one of these on an icey road, through some real twisty bits (Harrietville to Hotham, Dinner Plain and beyond in full winter snow) well... if I have to explain, then you will never really understand anyway! Cheers everyone, let's keep it the best kept secret. Mark.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:57 AM
unkle worn

Send a message via AIM to sjlwel
SVX review

So, she doesn't do as well as the writer would like on the straight away. Remember, it's the curves that make her SVXY.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:07 PM

The cult is strong here!!

A few years back, I did not buy a car which, to this day, I regret:

$6000
Subaru Vortex
WRX engine, gearbox, drivetrain, custom driveshafts to the wheels, MOTEC computer, front mount intercooler and variable boost control

The only thing that was needed to be done was to convert the suspension from the AWD Vortex springy stuff to proper shocks ($4000 that I could not afford at the time)

The car drove but just a bit wallowy.

Suffice to say that I have been in some very very fast cars but never in my life have I experienced acceleration like that - just raw brute force

The fellow, a Polish guy, was a classic - used to think it hilarious to 'bait' people into races That's definitely a 'doer' for when we come back to OZ.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:59 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Why do we own these interesting cars?

Quote:
Originally posted by OZ_SVX96
I will agree there are a few annoying little traits that the car has
Just out of curiosity - what are those traits?

Jason.