Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-21-2001, 01:59 PM
Headed to Texas...

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that we probably should be more expansive or "international" in our thinking. After all, we're always interested in what our friends in Japan, Australia, etc. are up to!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-21-2001, 02:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
That, I think, is where "chapters" would come in. What we would need to do is draft a "charter" for the International organization, and, then, devise "main contacts" at each international location to dispense information to "chapters." Does this make sense? (I'm thinking out loud again)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-21-2001, 04:47 PM
Headed to Texas...

Thumbs up Chapters!

Ah yes, it makes perfect sense!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-21-2001, 05:06 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Having raised the issue, let me play devil's advocate for a moment. Are there existing SVX owners organizations in other countries, i.e., UK or Australia? If so, would they consider us as being presumptuous for having an "international" organization. If there are such groups, we might need to think about it a bit. If not, then I would see that one of the goals of the club would be to foster development of same.

Any of our friends in Europe, Asia or Australia have any thoughts on this?
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:02 PM
Rev Hard

SVXOAInternational

Hmmm. Let me think of this for a moment.......

ok heres the plan..

Create SVXOAI then, when we have our "chapter" spawned and controlled/organized plan launch dates or post that we would like to open a "chapter" in your area...aka other countries....

hows that sound.. that way we dont get too big too fast..

Remember growth is good as long as you can control it, once we start opening the gates are we prepared for it to grow exponetially?

PAUL!
Old 03-21-2001, 11:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
It's obvious that this will be a "walk before crawling" proposition. I mean, heck, we barely got a "dribble " of interest the last two times it has been mentioned. This is the first time that any "extended" converstion has taken place. I would, however, like to hear some responses from our partners 'cross the pond and elsewhere. m30svx? svexistentialist? Jams? It would be great to be able to run a common thread around this big blue marble! But, before we take a "leap" instead of a step, let's get input (input, no disassemble!).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-22-2001, 06:57 AM
Headed to Texas...

Question

This is where a "model" would be helpful. Meaning is there a car club out there with a car similar in scope?
Why are they successful? (or not)
At least we might avoid some mistakes or know what to look out for. I have tried to look back on my involvement with BMW CCA for some guidance, but it really doesn't apply to our situation - if nothing else, a BMW related club has an advantage of sheer numbers, multiple models, long history, and so on that the SVX will never have. Any clubs come to mind?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-22-2001, 07:47 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<Any clubs come to mind?>>

There are several rare Mustang Clubs that only deal with a single model. There are Shelby clubs, Cobra-Jet clubs, 69-70 clubs, 64 1/2 clubs. Most of these are specific to cars of less than 10,000 produced.

I don't see a problem with an SVX only club. I prefer not to be an affiliate of a generic Subauru club. Like I've said before, "I'm a snob, deal with it".

Doug
Old 03-22-2001, 08:02 AM

Doug

I don't think anyone is supporting the idea of having the SVX club be an offshoot, or special interest group within SOCA, although it would probably be in our best interests to maintain a liason with them. This would be an SVX-only club. The question is more whether to try to build a USA only club, or shoot for an "International" club that would have affiliates in countries where there are enough SVX owners to form a national club, i.e., UK, and offer membership to people in places where there might be only a small handful of owners. Think of it, 3/5 of all SVXs produced were exported to this country, the remaining 2/5 were/are scattered around the rest of the world.

Speaking of this, I've sent questions via PM to the people I can identify in Ireland, Hong Kong, and Australia, asking their thoughts and input. Hopefully, some of them will join this discussion. I still have to locate the Canadian members of this forum, and PM them, but will do so in the near future.

Old 03-22-2001, 08:06 AM
Headed to Texas...

<<I don't see a problem with an SVX only club. >>

No, I don't see a problem either, and didn't mean to imply that. And there's already a "all Subaru" club anyway.
The clubs you listed sound like a good place to get some info on how they organized, grew and maintain.
The main idea is to get from the "wouldn't it be neat" stage to "OK, how do we actually do it?"

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-22-2001, 08:32 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<No, I don't see a problem either, and didn't mean to imply that>>
Sorry everyone, I was reading the messages with my morning brain. Now I have my late morning brain on, I'll understand things a little better.

<<The clubs you listed sound like a good place to get some info on how they organized, grew and maintain.>>
Two things I know for sure from other clubs.
First, Someone is compiling a database with the history and whereabouts of as many cars as they can find. It is funded by membership dues and donations.
Second, Membership is solicited through DMV records. Most states will sell marketing information based on a certain Criteria (year, make, model) as well as have salvage records of totaled cars.

It would be a large database and would take a lot of time, but maybe it could be online and maintained by many different regions.

Bottom line is that we would need a fair amount of start up capital to market to all SVXers, so the first few years of dues may be high, but the payback would be great.

I don't mean to exclude our foreign members, I just have no idea how things are run outside the US and if information is publicly available.

I just had another thought. Perhaps since the SVX has been imported within the last 10 or so years, maybe SOA could sell us a list of all US Destined SVX's with VINs and the dealerships (states) that they went to.

Isn't there an SOA employee or family member on this board? Maybe they could find us a contact person to get started.

Doug
Old 03-22-2001, 08:38 AM

Registered SVX
<<The main idea is to get from the "wouldn't it be neat" stage to "OK, how do we actually do it?" >>

Yesiree! That's the idea. Some cars that come to mind that we might also draw some info from, are like the Morgan Club, Morris Mini Club, the Avanti Club. There's also the DeLorean organization. In fact, the DeLorean organization might be the perfect start. We've done a couple of conventions in the US that required a DeLorean (a "Back to the Future" theme). We found a guy in Chicago who was in the DeLorean Owner's Club (he also was a member of the Rolls Royce Owners Club, but, that's beside the point right now). From there, when we were ready to reincarnate the Show in California, he put us in touch with a member there. THEN, when a client asked us to use this theme in GERMANY, our fellow came through with a member there. How 'bout it? Sound like a plan, to get in touch with these guys, and see how they do it?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-22-2001, 12:36 PM
Rev Hard

So....

OK How do we do that?

(true im a smartass but im serious)

How do we do this?

again lemme know if i can help
PAUL!
Old 03-22-2001, 02:59 PM

Registered SVX
Perhaps, we'll start here:

DeLorean Owners Association

Web Site: www.delorean.com

879 Randolph Rd.

Santa Barbara, CA., 93111

Tel/Fax: 805-964-5296

This website doesn't take you to the "Association's" home page. Rather, it takes you to the Delorean Motor Company website and calls for a log in w/password.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-22-2001, 03:09 PM

Synergy

Great ideas, guys! Oh man, there's a really neat synergy here. It's really exciting to think this can actually happen.