SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2001, 04:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Slightly off topic - the movie "Drivel"

Just had to say this:

I had been waiting with bated breath for Driven to come out...the clips of a street race with CART (or are they Indy cars?) seemed amazing....till today

Please, end my life now. What a load of absolute garbage!!! Spot the computer graphics! I only went to see it for the driving but what amazes me is their ability, when racing, to drop back a gear and accelerate!!! I thought they were already close to top speed in top gear!

And the mutiple shots of the drivers, again flat out apparently, flooring the throttle! Was it not floored before? Why not methinks!

Drivel drivel drivel.

I hope Fast and the Furious is better...perhaps the US folk can advise

James chants "we love Ronin, we love Ronin"

It worked on me...I want an S8!!

RANT ENDS

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 08-23-2001, 08:43 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Car movies

Well, I'm sure it's just me, but car movies just don't interest me. There have been some pretty good scenes w/cars in movies...but movies with driving, or racing as the main focus just don't do a thing for me. After having worked on them for way too long, you get to see them for what they really are...a way to get from point a to point b. Now, having said that, there are different levels of comfort and speed and safety associated with different models that can make that drive more enjoyable.

I can't even recall the last car/race movie I've seen, probably cannonball run or gumball rally. To be honest there aren't many movies made anymore that aren't a disappointment. I think the last one I saw that actually surprised me was the sixth sense, and it wasn't just me, the whole theater gasped when you find out the truth at the end of the movie.

Thanks for the heads up James, I'm sure I wouldn't have gone to a theater to see 'drivel', but now I know not to rent it too!
Old 08-23-2001, 08:50 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: Slightly off topic - the movie "Drivel"

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Yes yes I do! Nothing like seeing an A6 on NOS tearing up Europe.

From what I hear, fast and furious is......ok.......

It's supposed to be better than Driven, but not much. I'm waiting till it hits video..so that tells you.

Once again, Ronin rocks! BTW Eddie, you might like this movie more for the non-car scenes...it's only about 10% car scenes really, but all around a good story.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-23-2001, 09:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Ronin was a great movie!

Another one I like is "Who Am I?" (Jackie Chan) Mostly because there is a Mitsu Evo IV in it. decent fight scenes as well.

Oh that and "The Substitute" Because there is a Grand National
Old 08-23-2001, 09:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Ronin is a very cool movie. Watch it on DVD so you can get John Frankenheimer's comments during the car chase scenes. Don't listen to him during many other scenes, though, because he has nothing to say.

Don't get me wrong, he talks - he just has nothing to say.

I dug Gone in Sixty Seconds. Not a great film, but a lot of fun. One of very few movies with a, XJ220 in it. The film suggests that they can be found in LA at a moment's notice. Heh. I wish.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-23-2001, 09:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Slightly off topic - the movie "Drivel"

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Just had to say this:

I had been waiting with bated breath for Driven to come out...the clips of a street race with CART (or are they Indy cars?) seemed amazing....till today

Please, end my life now. What a load of absolute garbage!!! Spot the computer graphics! I only went to see it for the driving but what amazes me is their ability, when racing, to drop back a gear and accelerate!!! I thought they were already close to top speed in top gear!

And the mutiple shots of the drivers, again flat out apparently, flooring the throttle! Was it not floored before? Why not methinks!

Drivel drivel drivel.

I hope Fast and the Furious is better...perhaps the US folk can advise

It worked on me...I want an S8!!

RANT ENDS

Jamsvx
As horrible as the movie may be (I don't know - I haven't seen it), please don't confuse the term 'computer graphics.'

Many artists had to work on that stuff. Is it bad? I dunno - I haven't seen it. Call it an effects shot if you will, but it's not 'computer graphics.'

I'm curious, though - was Driven just now released on the big screen in Australia?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-23-2001, 10:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
there is a show on the small screen we should all love:

Seinfeld.. In the parking garage during the Fish episode, there is an SVX (green I think) in the background
Old 08-23-2001, 04:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Re: Re: Slightly off topic - the movie "Drivel"

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

As horrible as the movie may be (I don't know - I haven't seen it), please don't confuse the term 'computer graphics.'

Many artists had to work on that stuff. Is it bad? I dunno - I haven't seen it. Call it an effects shot if you will, but it's not 'computer graphics.'

I'm curious, though - was Driven just now released on the big screen in Australia?
Driven was just released last week....yes, we are AGES behind the rest of the world and I don't have a cable modem so I can't download them from the Net....*cough*..er, not that I would of course!

By 'computer graphics', I meant what appear to be computer generated visual effects that appear on film so as to include something that is not there in reality: and with all due respect to the visual engineers/computer graphic artists/technical name that I am not sure of, the film looks worse for their inclusion. Have a look at it when you get a chance: the main ones that stick in my mind are:

1) the manhole cover being flung into the air
2) On the track, when it shows two cars in front......they a)don't even look real and b) look like two transparencies cut out and superimposed on the actual film....yuck!
3) The rain drop on helmet sequence and 'racing line' blurr effect.

It just irked me since I went there to watch cars and instead saw what I thought were really bad visual effects that would have been much better left out!

It wasn't meant to be a slander of the IT/CGI guys on here....jeez, you've seen my webpage and my fumbling with graphics on that.....but the point is no doubt a lot of money was paid to whoever put the CGI in the movie and a lot of money was paid also to those who allowed them (the effects) to stay....with me paying AU$13.50 to see Drivel! AVOID!!!!!

As for RONIN, it was an S8...an A6 is a smaller car. And if I am being a nitpicker, a Citroen XM outrunning an S8....yep.....wow, look at that, pigs in formation are doing aerobatic displays outside my window!

Jamsvx
PS: hope I didn't offend anyone

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 08-23-2001, 09:16 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Movies

"Grand Prix" - James Garner

"LeMans" - Steve McQueen

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 08-23-2001, 11:22 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I never liked car movies. And you can not drive like that in middle of Chicago. If you did, you will not be standing like that like in the movie. CPD would have been on your a$$ like there is no tomorrow.

However, the movie did have some cute chicks in there -- but then again, I only paid 4 bucks to see it, so it was worth it.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-24-2001, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I never liked car movies. And you can not drive like that in middle of Chicago. If you did, you will not be standing like that like in the movie. CPD would have been on your a$$ like there is no tomorrow.
Try racing 1am (before I got the SVX) my Dodge Stealth, one tricked out Honda, a lowrider honda (puke!!!), a Taurus SHO, and I think a mazda @ 115mhp+ thru downtown Chicago on I-290 in full traffic.

especially when you don't know the highway real well, and end up in what you think is a lane but turns out to be an exit, coming w/in inches of a cement divider at at least 100mph....I've slowed quite a bit since then