Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2003, 05:54 AM

Cool New Members

Thought I better introduce myself a bit.
It's good to see that I'm not the only insane person on this continent, wife still can't beleive that I acually went out and bought a SVroomX. Sorry until the novellty wears off you'll have to put up with the Vroom.
I've got a 92 Silver/grey with a black roof and spoiler. It was originally made in May 92 and I think sold in July that year. It had 159K last week, now has just under 161K.

I've been a Suby nut since my first one in 1976. This was a very sharp 2 door (mellow yellow) and as with all Sub's well fitted out at the time,much better than your average car anyway it had a 1400 motor which performed more like a 1600 or 1800. I know it used to make funny noises at 150kmh. Eventually with that type of treatment it died quite badly abd we had part company. The only Suby that I've managed to badly damage.

A few years later our second one, a 4wd wagon red in colour. 82 I think this little car travelled some 280k for us and when it was sold it iwas still purring.

Our next was a silver 86 or there abouts DL wagon one of the last sold before the ULP requirements. This did some amazing trips up through state forests and mountain tops, seemed to always make it OK though coming back down from them was a bit hairy we kept this until it had done about 360k. It went to northern NSW to do some farm work, The only problem we ever had with this was having to put in a new water pump at about 275k, everything else was still as per factory fit out.

We bought another DL wagon this time blue, another stayer, not as much power or fuel ecomony (ULP engine) in this one but yes certainly earned it s keep, sold it with 256k on the clock.

Next was a 90 Liberty GX 2.2l wagon with all the gear. Height adjustment etc Had to try and sell this to get the SVroomX. I think that this has out performed all the other Subies that we have owned. Could certainly corner better that or other Liberty. It has gone to a more gentle life (I hope), It had approx 385k on the clock and although a rattler and groaner still does the business.

Currently we have a 95 gl wagon with 260k or so on it it goes well, probably could benefit from a visit from someone with a spanner.

Anyway this is in the past I am looking forward to many years of fun from the SVroomX. We are heading to Warwick tomorrow for a bit of a drive and will see how it travels with the traffic. Warwick should give us about a 450 to 500 km trip.

I don't know much about spanners and their use also tech stuff goes over my head. So don't expect too much from me in replies to tranny's etc. (I'm old enough to remember that a tranny used to be a RADIO).

Look forward to hearing from you.

KennEls
Old 07-26-2003, 06:10 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Whoa, KennEls, what do you do in your spare time- because I know what you do with the rest of it.........drive around? Sounds like you live in your cars considering the kilometres stacked on.

My father has a silver/black with 220ks +, and is a real enthusiast as well. Perhaps take heed of the transmission and wheel bearing information on the site, as you never never know....
Cheers, and good luck. Mark. Remember to put a photo in your locker.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:02 AM

000,000K's

What spare time, I thought that that disappeared when we went metric. I used to think that we we're a bit over the top with the mileage on our cars, but a friend in Melbourne beats us hands down, she's had Subies for about 20 years or so. I also believe that in Ipswich Qld a travelling salesman there goes through the 300k's about 6 months before the 3 year warranty is up. So Iguess we're just average

Quote:
Originally posted by OZ_SVX96
Whoa, KennEls, what do you do in your spare time- because I know what you do with the rest of it.........drive around? Sounds like you live in your cars considering the kilometres stacked on.

My father has a silver/black with 220ks +, and is a real enthusiast as well. Perhaps take heed of the transmission and wheel bearing information on the site, as you never never know....
Cheers, and good luck. Mark. Remember to put a photo in your locker.

Last edited by KennEls; 07-28-2003 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:13 AM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

Angry Fuel gauge

Hey Ken got your message re. fuel...

Driving back from a far away place I; as has others, had the embarassment of putting 50c worth of fuel into the car after filling up ...thinking..that can't be full !!, so after paying I tried to squeeze in more thinking air lock, dodgey gauge a bit slow to register [true], or stupidity, something else then only to find that 40c of this premium was now degreasing the bloody driveway and melting my imitation leather shoes..Bugger

but interestingly I took the green machine up the Sunshine Coast last week drove round up there on empty for about 150km then the Fuel light came on..Crikey !!!..then I drove for about another 50kms until I ran out of nerve and one less ear after my wife had chewed it off...but I ended up putting 60 litres in it, so it still had about another 9 - 10 ltrs left..

If this is was such a widespread problem how is it that these fuel pickups weren't replaced during 3 yrs of warranty by Subaru

That'll do for now

David
Old 07-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
David

Mine is the very same. It used to put on the fuel light when I had the car first, going on three years ago.

Now it rarely comes on, and I drive for miles on E before the light shows. Normally, if I travel a lot on empty, it will take 55-60 litres of fuel. Once, recently, on a long run I decided I was lonely for the fuel light, and kept going till it came on. The tanks took 65 litres! Out of a total of 70, I won't be doing that again, the light will have to get along without me.

Apparently, it can be reset, by disconnecting something, and re-connecting with a full tank. There was a how-to described in a post about two years ago, I must run a search and re-adjust mine.

cheers,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-28-2003, 06:07 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
If this is was such a widespread problem how is it that these fuel pickups weren't replaced during 3 yrs of warranty by Subaru
I guess this is part of the mystery (mystique ?) of SUBARU
I'm doing the usual Sydney thing by filling up each Monday night and seem to average about 250 klm's each week and generally put in around 35lts (must be my lead foot)
10 klm's down the road and the guage can read empty again
I know when I bought my car, it was basically empty. The fuel light came on and I think I put about 63lts in it, which brings me to that other fuel related problem How do you fill the tank in less than fifteen minutes!
I've tried all the advice and the best I can do is to squeeze the trigger gently and just fill reeaall slooww
This annoys the hell out of backward cap Civic drivers waiting for the only premium pump at the station, tough.

Speaking of which, it's time to go fill up!
ARTHUR.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi

I had the same problems with the fuel and fuel light and also with the filling.

What I have found works is to put the filler in with the handpiece rotated to the 9 or 10 o clock position (hope that makes sense!)

So....

1) put in filler normally - the handle will be underneath (the 6 o clock position)
2) rotate the handle clockwise (ie, towards the rear of the car) till it is parallel to the ground and pointing to the rear (9'o clock)

3) try that - if still iffy, then rotate to 10'o clock

This works for me every time and cures the tirade of obsenities that used to otherwise be directed at the petrol pump!

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The fuel gauge thingy.

What a wonderfully job they have done on the fuel gauge. The only time it is right is when you fill it up. At least the fuel light is accurate comes on with 7/8 Lts to go. I just zero the trip meter when I full up and look for 700kl as the limit.

The tank is two tanks, the one on the right side is the return, which has a venture pump that pumps the fuel over to the left side. That side has the pump outlet to the engine. Each side has a fuel sender unit in series. Hows it work?

James has the filling sused out, I also pull the nozzle out a bit for a quick fill.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

You Oz people will be happy to know that the funny fuel gauge isn't attributable to your being born on the wrong side of the planet. We topsiders have the same SVX "feature". I've heard that the fuel floats get saturated & begin to sag with age, just like a women's ...
uh...nevermind. The whole thing could be remedied by inking a white line below the "E" on the gauge. Even so, I can still drive well over 50 more miles (90K) after the light comes on.

Ron (hard to gauge).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
You Oz people will be happy to know that the funny fuel gauge isn't attributable to your being born on the wrong side of the planet. We topsiders have the same SVX "feature". I've heard that the fuel floats get saturated & begin to sag with age, just like a women's ...
uh...nevermind. The whole thing could be remedied by inking a white line below the "E" on the gauge. Even so, I can still drive well over 50 more miles (90K) after the light comes on.

Ron (hard to gauge).
Ron, my best girl saw your reply, she reckonds that they are not the only thing to sag with age I tried to look puzzled, but I think she knows, we know, what she means.

Harvey.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Ron, my best girl saw your reply, she reckonds that they are not the only thing to sag with age I tried to look puzzled, but I think she knows, we know, what she means.

Harvey.

Yes, Harvey, tell her we old farts have added inches just by hanging out. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ron (What a drag).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
*laughing head off*

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:38 PM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

You senior members are a real worry?!?!
My hubby is at work, so ive dialed into the internet and whats this
the finance page is gone!!! replaced with some subaru svx site... what have you done to my husband??? priorities sure have changed...no more breakfast in bed, no more taking the rubbish out etc.... just joking , he never did those things anyway, but a girl can always live in hope... But on a good note... GREAT site... great information base, great support, much appreciate the advice avaliable.... now, wonder if there are any wives out there who would like to start up a similar network ..say on SHOPPING!!!

BYE..
Old 07-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Didn't work Ron!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Yes, Harvey, tell her we old farts have added inches just by hanging out. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ron (What a drag).

Ron I tried to tell her what you said,,,,,,,,,,,that it's just hanging out. She laughed said whats new?

I told her "it's not just hanging there, It's looken nat me new boots"

She said " you should have bought a new hat"

Whats she mean Ron.??????

Doesn't matter mate, I think she is just pull en my leg.

Harvey.
Ps sorry, Earl.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:36 PM

Registered SVX
Ron's's do'in a shoe shine.

Harv's get'n an item pulled.

Trev's, blush'n cos wee wee James's look'n. *<)

Does/can R tip his hat ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 07-29-2003 at 12:05 AM.