Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to andreoz
Registered SVX
Inside Roof Trim - any ideas?

A few months ago I noticed that the section of roof trim just above the rear window started to slip out but it was just a matter of using my fingers to plug it back in and it seemed to stay there for a while. It is now getting a lot worse and when it slips out more and more of the fabric gets lose to the extent that it can be affecting visibility. Any hints as to how to attach it permanently. It seems that the fabric is detaching itself from the solid section of the roof trim. How is the fabric stretched and moulded over the solid section - is it done with some form of heat treatment. Any advice would be welcome before I have to take it to a car trimmer.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 PM

Re: Inside Roof Trim - any ideas?

What about a hair drier & while the material is hot, stretch it over a similar former on the bench?.
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Registered SVX

I was hoping to be able to do it without taking off the whole trim from the roof but maybe that will be the only way.....
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 AM

Registered SVX

You're probably not going to get it right without removing that internal panel.

I've removed 2 interior roof panels now, each time without damage. So I'm happy to help.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestone View Post
You're probably not going to get it right without removing that internal panel.

I've removed 2 interior roof panels now, each time without damage. So I'm happy to help.
I spoke to a trimmer and he said you have to take the sun roof out etc etc and put a brand new lining - $850.00!!!! Apparently the material is glued to some foam and it loses its glue so they have to scrape all the foam off before they glue the new material off. What have you found on the SVX and were you able to glue the original material back on?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:11 PM

I've done a couple of other cars in the past using this method.

Sounds like you could do it yourself - when you remove the roof lining, carefully seperate the material from the foam with a small sharp knife, then use a scraper (NOT a knife to clean the back of the roof lining material) you don't cut through with a scraper.

Then clean off foam from the other side - now you have to pieces cleaned without foam spacer.

Find some closed-cell foam, cut to shape.

Now the tricky part, do you glue the foam onto the interior material first or glue foam onto backing material first, then glue to other side last? any thoughts.
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 AM

Registered SVX

No you don't have to remove the sunroof.

But yes if the foam has perished (very likely), you'll be scraping and scraping and scraping... There will be no point trying to re-glue to foam that's falling apart.

When you're putting it all back together, start with glue on the hardest surface (i.e. the board). You might get yourself some glue in a spray can to make that part easier.

For me personally, I'm probably going to start with a fresh new lining (I'm doing some reupholstering as part of my restoration project). So that's slightly less scraping and slightly more scope for cocking it up.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
No you don't have to remove the sunroof.

But yes if the foam has perished (very likely), you'll be scraping and scraping and scraping... There will be no point trying to re-glue to foam that's falling apart.

When you're putting it all back together, start with glue on the hardest surface (i.e. the board). You might get yourself some glue in a spray can to make that part easier.

For me personally, I'm probably going to start with a fresh new lining (I'm doing some reupholstering as part of my restoration project). So that's slightly less scraping and slightly more scope for cocking it up.
I am thinking of a new lining ( inside material) as one side of it is water damaged and perishing away. Where can you get some lining material to match?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreoz View Post
I am thinking of a new lining ( inside material) as one side of it is water damaged and perishing away. Where can you get some lining material to match?
I'm sourcing Ultrasuede from the States, so I'm thinking of just throwing an extra few metres into the order and going nuts on it.

By the way, Ultrasuede is what Ecsaine was marketed as in the US - it's the same furry stuff that's on our dash/doors.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 AM

Where you buying from, others may want to know....
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm sourcing Ultrasuede from the States, so I'm thinking of just throwing an extra few metres into the order and going nuts on it.

By the way, Ultrasuede is what Ecsaine was marketed as in the US - it's the same furry stuff that's on our dash/doors.
What's the cost etc and I might ask you get me some for my roof as well if you have not ordered it yet..... Are you going to use that for the roof or are you redoing the dash and doors????
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 AM

Registered SVX

So far I've only received my sample packs of Ultrasuede and Ultraleather that I bought. I haven't actually placed an order for the lengths I'm thinking of.

I'd rather see how my own order goes before I effectively advertise for them.

But from memory you're looking at around USD$60 for 1 yard @ 55" wide. Certainly not the cheapest fabric out there...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: