SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Question Coolant leak

Hi all,
Sprung a coolant leak on the 92 Ebony today. Cant pinpoint source, nothing visible on top, with car on ramps, engine running, dripping from just behind waterpump area. Waterpump? Any hoses hidden there? The hoses that are visible on the waterpump look fine.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX
Re: Coolant leak

There are 2 smallish metal tubes that go from the top of the engine down to connect to the water pump with two short, roughly 90 degree rubber hoses. One of the tubes connects to the coolant crossover pipe by a short rubber hose on the back, driver's side of the engine. I think you can see this if you look under the intake manifold. I would consider any of those 3 short rubber hoses as somewhat likely to fail with age.

There is also a gasket between the WP and block that could possibly leak.

There are also 2 hoses on the top, rear of the engine that carry coolant from the passenger side, rear of the coolant crossover pipe through the heater core to one of the tubes that connects to the water pump. And 2 smaller hoses that go through the throttle bodies and join the same return tube. One of those hoses could leak, but I think they would drop down the back of the engine area, not the front.

Also an extremely bad headgasket could let coolant leak straight out of the block, behind the water pump, onto the ground. Ask me how I know...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Come to think of it, I have an engine on a stand that I can post pictures of to show you where all that is if you need.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Come to think of it, I have an engine on a stand that I can post pictures of to show you where all that is if you need.
Thanks! That would be great!
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Would be nice if you could post pictures, I'm currently trying to track down a leak that drips from the front of the oil pan??!! My plan was to replace the waterpump, as that's the only thing that I know is back there. Any other suggestions?

(It should be noted, it's a fairly steady drip drip, but turns to a gusher once I squeeze the radiator hose. Surprisingly enough when driving it doesn't leak too badly though.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 PM

I just replaced my water pump to fix a leak like you described. Pretty sure it was the pump-to-block gasket but I replaced the pump as well just to be safe. The coolant ran down the front of the oil pan and dripped off the front of it. Leak has stopped now (well, that one at least...)

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 AM

Yeah I replaced my water pump (along with all the other seals on the front of the motor and oil pump stuff) last weekend. Fixed the leak! I'm pretty sure it was leaking out the weep hole in the water pump, meaning that the internal seal on the shaft had gone bad.

So, for anyone else with coolant leaking down your oil pan, replace your water pump! (and cam seals, oil pump o-ring and fujibond, front main, timing belt, etc.)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 AM

Had the same problem last week, though it was the water pump gasket, so I replaced the gasket since the water pump looked new. Come to find out it was the water pump weep hole, once it was all back together.