Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Gear Box

Hi All,
I am looking for any recommendations for auto transmission fluid. Going to change mine this week and don't want to end up buying the wrong type.

Cheers.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Gear Box

I like Redline D4. It is based on esters which are good for removing heat from metal parts. It also has seal conditioning capability which helps to minimize leaking if used in an older tranny which has seals coated in crud. Svxfiles likes BG products which are also synthetic. LAN like Subaru ATF with a bottle of Lubegard (red bottle) added. Lubegard is indeed very good stuff. If you have a high mileage tranny which may not have had regular fluid changes you might want to go with the Subaru/Lubegard combination as the seals may leak quite a bit once the synthetic fluid cleans off the gunk and exposes the dried and shrunken seal. If the tranny isn't very high mileage or has had regular fluid changes but you are still worried about seals leaking, you might want to lean toward Redline. You will get some leaking once the seals are cleaned off but, eventually, the seals will be reconditioned and expand back to their original shape.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjd7325 View Post
Hi All,
I am looking for any recommendations for auto transmission fluid. Going to change mine this week and don't want to end up buying the wrong type.

Cheers.
Been a 'stickler' for doing things by the book, I use COMMA DEXRON II which is the correct grade for our boxes, ....... according to the service manual.

No doubt I might be corrected

John

the older I get, the faster I was
Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 AM

Ok thanks for the replies :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: