Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Blinking AT oil temp lamp on startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Yeah that's the procedure. With any luck you'll never need it.

Yes. The select monitor can do it. Evoscan doesn't have support for TCU, only ECU. FreeSSM was supposed to be able to read all the transmission stuff, including tranny temp, but I'm not sure if they've got it working yet.

I can read my tranny temp using a homemade cable and some software I wrote. But it's just experimental. Nothing I could release as a product.
Are you talking about the Linux Alcyone software? Based on the cable selection page on the evoscan website, it sounds like they assume the OBD2 connector carries a SSM1 signal. I'm wondering if that cable will work with your software. What language did you use?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Are you talking about the Linux Alcyone software? Based on the cable selection page on the evoscan website, it sounds like they assume the OBD2 connector carries a SSM1 signal. I'm wondering if that cable will work with your software. What language did you use?
Yeah, that's it. Written in C, but the ecuscan and tcuscan programs require the "curses" library which seems to be omitted from more recently versions of linux. Have you ever done any C programming?

The OBD2 cars have SSM signal on pins 12 & 13 (or 4 & 5 if you get the numbering backwards like in the service manual). I think Nomake Wan had a go at using my software with somebodys OBD2 car. IIRC the basic communications was working, but for some reason the software wasn't happy. If you can do C programming then I'm sure you could make it work.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. Written in C, but the ecuscan and tcuscan programs require the "curses" library which seems to be omitted from more recently versions of linux. Have you ever done any C programming?

The OBD2 cars have SSM signal on pins 12 & 13 (or 4 & 5 if you get the numbering backwards like in the service manual). I think Nomake Wan had a go at using my software with somebodys OBD2 car. IIRC the basic communications was working, but for some reason the software wasn't happy. If you can do C programming then I'm sure you could make it work.
Yes, I have programmed in C in the past (C++ actually) but it has been awhile. It could be a fun project for my 13 year old son who likes programming and playing with Linux. However, I would prefer to have something that runs on windows and, better yet, on a pocket PC. So you think there was an issue with the software? Why would that be? If the cable is correct and the SSM protocol is the same (SSM1?) then there shouldn't be an issue, right? What problem was Nomake having? Do you know what cable he was using?

Could you PM me your phone number and what times would be good to call. This is too complicated to do by message board and I would like to discuss this with you. I have quite a few questions.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Yes, I have programmed in C in the past (C++ actually) but it has been awhile. It could be a fun project for my 13 year old son who likes programming and playing with Linux. However, I would prefer to have something that runs on windows and, better yet, on a pocket PC. So you think there was an issue with the software? Why would that be? If the cable is correct and the SSM protocol is the same (SSM1?) then there shouldn't be an issue, right? What problem was Nomake having? Do you know what cable he was using?
If you can understand C++ then you shouldn't have any problem with these simple little programs.

I don't recall what Nomake said the issue are/were.

If you want to have a go at this, then you need to make/buy a suitable cable. Then you need to send the commands to the TCU manually and see what data comes back.

Once you find the right command and figure out how to interpret the response then you can tweak the software, or write something new, to do it automatically.
Quote:
Could you PM me your phone number and what times would be good to call. This is too complicated to do by message board and I would like to discuss this with you. I have quite a few questions.
Sure. No Problem. Will do.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 10-29-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
If you can understand C++ then you shouldn't have any problem with these simple little programs.

I don't recall what Nomake said the issue are/were.

If you want to have a go at this, then you need to make/buy a suitable cable. Then you need to send the commands to the TCU manually and see what data comes back.

Once you find the right command and figure out how to interpret the response then you can tweak the software, or write something new, to do it automatically.

Sure. No Problem. Will do.
Phil,

I can PM you back because your box is full. I will try to call you Saturday night.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
Just got my first SVX, a 1996 EP LSi. Woot!, and I've noticed a few problems with the new toy.

I read in the owners manual that if the automatic transmission oil temperature light blinks after you start the car, it means there is a problem and you should take the car to Subaru immediatly. Blinks about 16 times, IIRC.

I have also read on the SVXWN that 1996 and later models simply don't have a transmission "Power" lamp in the dash. How would you know if the trans is throwig a code without the power light?

My questions: Can I pull the codes from the TCU myself? Could the AT oil temp lamp be the TCU error code signal?

Anyone have experience with this problem?
If you do not have to a SSM, the first thing that you should do is to check the resistance of the dropping resistor, mounted between the battery and the inner fender.
If it shows no resistance...
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!
Then you need to repair or replace the dropping resistor.
I mention this as it is the most common cause for a trans code.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link