Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Swap Engine & Transmission

My son has a 93 SVX and the transmission is cracked. I picked up a 92 SVX that had been rear ended - but drives nicely. My plan is to pull the engine and transmission out of each and swap - put the 92 Engine & Transmission in the 93 SVX.

I've read on the forum that it would be easier to drop the engine & transmission (down and come out the bottom). Then replace the engine & transmission the same way (come up from the bottom).

Is there a written instruction for this? What problems will we face?

Any guideance will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 05:16 PM
I kill more trannies then god

change the sparkplugs and reseal the motor while its out. I gave mine a 100,000 mile service while the motor was out, i reccomend doing that as it is less then 1.5 hrs work with the motor out.
remove the pitch stopped,then your looking at 6 bolts to get the transmission crossmember off, then 4 bolts to remove the trannie mount and x-member from the transmission, then you neet to remove the two nuts in the bottom of the engine subframe next to the power steering rack for the engin mounts, then remove a butt load of hoses and unplug the electrical and it should come right out.
there you have it, the worlds longest run on sentence.
all said and done your looking at probably 1 days work if you know what your doing. 2-3 if you havent done it before

edit: on second thought if your changing the trannie and engine, you might want to drop it out the bottom, you would need to remove the engine sube frame, never done it, believe it's like six bolts

Last edited by jeffast; 12-12-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If you're JUST Pulling the tranny, drop it out the bottom...but if you're pulling the motor AND tranny, pull them out the top....the motor will NOT come out the bottom without removing the front sub-frame...

And like Juff said, install new spark plugs ( the correct expensive ones) and new valve cover gaskets while it's out as they are much harder to do in the car.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC SVX View Post
My son has a 93 SVX and the transmission is cracked. I picked up a 92 SVX that had been rear ended - but drives nicely. My plan is to pull the engine and transmission out of each and swap - put the 92 Engine & Transmission in the 93 SVX.

I've read on the forum that it would be easier to drop the engine & transmission (down and come out the bottom). Then replace the engine & transmission the same way (come up from the bottom).

Is there a written instruction for this? What problems will we face?

Any guideance will be much appreciated.

Thanks
The tranny alone weighs 250#s.
The engine weighs about 450#s

Either of these sharp edged jewels can remove a finger faster than you can say oops!
(Actually when you DO lose a finger you are usually much more colorful!0
I would remove them one at a time, transmission first.
A how to is in my signature.

When removing the engine, remember that the windshield costs up to $1200!

I hope that you do not think I am being rude/crass,

but if you removed these engines and transmissions all the time you would not be asking for advice.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm or call me.
Tom
301-707-3437
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 PM

OK - my son and I have liberated the transmission - well, almost, the transmission is not clearing the front axles. It would appear that we need to remove more of the front axle. What are we missing?

Plan is to finish getting the transmission out then pull the engine. Then, oh boy, we get to do it all over with the other car before beginning to assemble. I work a rotation away from home so, tomorrow will be my last day before I head back to work.

Just so you guys know, the last time I worked on a vehicle of my own, it was a '71 GTO - things seemed a lot simpler then (but really this hasn't been that bad). Great working w/ my son.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 04:00 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC SVX View Post
OK - my son and I have liberated the transmission - well, almost, the transmission is not clearing the front axles. It would appear that we need to remove more of the front axle. What are we missing?
Plan is to finish getting the transmission out then pull the engine. Then, oh boy, we get to do it all over with the other car before beginning to assemble. I work a rotation away from home so, tomorrow will be my last day before I head back to work.

Just so you guys know, the last time I worked on a vehicle of my own, it was a '71 GTO - things seemed a lot simpler then (but really this hasn't been that bad). Great working w/ my son.

Thanks
To remove the front axles you have to push out the roll pins by the transmission, and seporate the steering knuckle at the lower control arm.
I remove the pinch bolt rather than the three bolts and nuts holding the ball joint to the lower control arm.

Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link