SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Its rather simple... 5 bolts will do ya (Probly only 2 if it's been removed before)

So true.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:52 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
Well, it seems I had all 5 screws holding it in place. Now just one or two more questions:

How necessary is the Shift Lock Unit? I'm sure it exists for a reason, but what would the ramifications of its removal be?

I doubt removing the emergency brake will cause any problems, correct? Mine is almost shot as it is, won't even hold the car at full click.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
Well, it seems I had all 5 screws holding it in place. Now just one or two more questions:

How necessary is the Shift Lock Unit? I'm sure it exists for a reason, but what would the ramifications of its removal be?

I doubt removing the emergency brake will cause any problems, correct? Mine is almost shot as it is, won't even hold the car at full click.

I THINK YOU WILL WANT TO KEEP BOTH (SHIFT LOCK and THE E-BRAKE. THE EBRAKE IS VERY EASY TO ADJUST, AND YOU REALLY SHOULD DO THAT. On the "driver's side" of the console there is an opening with a cover - a small screwdriver will easily pop it off (but do it carefully). You can see two nuts to loosen - one is the locking nut (on the top). Loosen the locking nut (10 MM wrench) and begin to tighten (clockwise) the bottom nut. This tightens up / adjusts your e-brake. Of course, if you have the console off, this is MUCH easier to do.

Don't know about your location, but a car will NOT pass annual inspection here in Virginia if the e-brake doesn't hold the car when in gear. And as I mentioned, you really should have the e-brake and in good working order.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
The shift lock unit is needed if, say, your battery dies and the car is stuck in gear. Pressing the shift lock button will allow you to push the gear selector to neutral to push / tow the car away. *Usefull tidbit* If you car doesnt have the button itself, you need to pop off the decorative cover, unscrew the scrw with the arrow pointing to it (It's long and must be removed all the way) Slide the arrow lookin deal over, and use a screw driver to push into the hole. Dunno why the hell they made it so hard...but w/e

The shift lock computer thingy is small...It can probly be easilly located to somewhere a little more convienent. If you were planning on a custom console, you could make it right up against the shifter and have a nice flat spot over it for mabey like a cup holder or cellphone holding thinger
I think the e-brake is quite necicarry, ya know...just incase. Besides, what's the third passenger doing all the way up there anyway?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Yes, I was figuring it wouldn't be too hard to relocate that black Shift Lock Unit, I just wanted to know the ramifications of its abscence. I have the button that unlocks the shifter, and use it a lot since the shifter will sometimes 'stick' in park on startup - (does anyone have a fix for this btw?)

As far as the ebrake, I was just toying with the idea of removing it, the state of new jersey will not look too kindly on that come April... I think instead I'll cover it with a black leather shift boot and then custom fabricate grey carpeting/suede to cover all the nasty bits.

I really appreciate the useful help from you guys on this project, and will post pics when its complete
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM

+1 for the Elantra GT - almost bought an '05 for the wife. Got a Pontiac Vibe instead for a little extra space. But, yeah the interior was really decent.
1988 XT6
1996 SVX LSi AWD
Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Uh, Yea... vying for supremacy with Mercedes and Lexus I'm sure...

anyway, my console is torn apart, putting a leather shift boot over the ebrake handle to cover up all the nasty bits. I've removed the Shift Lock Unit, its actual function is hazy, since I can select gears with the key in/out of the ignition just fine.

To cover up the seatbelt retractors is the stock ABS plastic topped off with the center console lid (they fit together perfectly!) and the ashtray section is reversed backwards and sits on the floor..... this makes no sense without pics... but it works and looks good.

I've removed over 27+ screws and a lot of useless plastic, metal, springs, and other esoteric bits of plastic and metal whose function I will never know. I'd list the results of my weight removal, but my digital scale is low on batteries.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

thats the prototype, cupholder included but not attached
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 01-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
*Usefull tidbit* If you car doesnt have the [shift lock] button itself, you need to pop off the decorative cover, unscrew the scrw with the arrow pointing to it (It's long and must be removed all the way) Slide the arrow lookin deal over, and use a screw driver to push into the hole.
Only the earlier-year SVXs had the shift lock button. Later ones require opening the access cover.

Beware: You only need to push the screwdriver into the hole about 1/2" to move the mechanical lever. You should feel a slight springy resistance. If your screwdriver goes any deeper without touching the lever, you need to try again (try a slightly different angle).

If you shove a screwdriver too deep you can tear up the windings on the solenoid that unlocks the shift lever. (Don't ask me how I know this )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
... the shifter will sometimes 'stick' in park on startup - (does anyone have a fix for this btw?)
Were you aware you have to press the brake pedal? When you do, do you hear the aforementioned solenoid in the center console "click"? (it only actuates while the shifter is in Park and you press the large thumb-button on the shift lever)

As you can see, the problem could be in any of:
  • Brake pedal switch (if this is bad your brake lights won't work)
  • Wiring/connectors
  • Solenoid
  • Electrical switch activated by button on the shift lever

FYI, there's another solenoid in the steering column that prevents you from removing the key until the shifter is in Park.

Last edited by SVXdc; 01-20-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

well, I know to depress the brake to remove the car from park... its a slushbox thing, yeah. I only have the problem if the car is parked on an incline and I didnt use the parking brake to hold the car. Anyhow, I tightened the ebrake using the afforementioned method and now it holds fine, it was just loose
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge