Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 02-09-2004, 11:42 PM
lupus

SVX's in Australia

G'day i'm new to theses forums but in the last few days i've had a sudden obsession with the SVX. I'm only 17 and at the moment i drive an Impreza RX and up until a few days ago i had no idea what a SVX was. I'vs done a bit of research and read some posts and i just wanted to know a few more things about them as in later years i would really like to own one.

I know that there are only like 250 in Australia and i have read that there are only 5 in WA which is unfortunate because i live in Perth and that will make it all the more harder to get. Ok for starters i would like to know what the general asking price for one is, i've seen some on the net for around 20k but you guys seem to think that is to much.

More questions to follow soon.

Cheers for any assistance

Lupus
Old 02-10-2004, 03:20 AM

Re: SVX's in Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by lupus
G'day i'm new to theses forums but in the last few days i've had a sudden obsession with the SVX. I'm only 17 and at the moment i drive an Impreza RX and up until a few days ago i had no idea what a SVX was. I'vs done a bit of research and read some posts and i just wanted to know a few more things about them as in later years i would really like to own one.

I know that there are only like 250 in Australia and i have read that there are only 5 in WA which is unfortunate because i live in Perth and that will make it all the more harder to get. Ok for starters i would like to know what the general asking price for one is, i've seen some on the net for around 20k but you guys seem to think that is to much.

More questions to follow soon.

Cheers for any assistance

Lupus
G'day Lupus and welcome to the forum, I hope that you find the answers here to your questions.

The SVX, and most people on this forum, are a good bit different from the norm. (All good thoughts here)

The SVX was built with the intention of producing a Grand Tourismo style of vehicle which would cover great distances in comfort and safety regardless of the weather. This was a move away from Subes normal economical and robust cars. Result was that they built a beautiful car that they forgot to market.

I think that 250 SVX's in Oz is a bit optomistic, others will be able to give a better figure on this, what with crashes and wrecking etc.

The price of a car is really a matter for you to decide, this will always depend on age, mileage, condition and how much you want it. I've seen '92's for about $15K I think I've heard of cheaper but can't recall seeing these ads myself. Mine is a '92 which I bought last year for around $17k, this was originally advertised for $22k, I would have probably have been happy to pay 20K for it but when we started dealing the price just kept coming down, good for me.

Dearest I've heard about is $39k for a '96-7. I have seen an ad for a '92 at the $30k mark. One thing for sure is that as soon as you've bought one there will be a bargain pop up, seems to be the law of average's.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Kenn
BTW I sort of remember a black '92 for sale in Melbourne for about $11. Reports on the condition of the car were not good at the time.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi there and welcome!

As Kenn has said, it was designed as GT.

There were, as far as we can find out, approximately 250 sold in the 5 years from 1992 to 1997 - at last count, there were about 96 registered in NSW but there have been a few through the wreckers.

Hmm...how much to pay - how long is a length of string!

I had an immaculate 1992 with 77,000km on it, new transmission, ATF cooler, full Subaru service history and 6 months rego - sold it for $20,000.00, largely because I am going overseas and better to get rid of it quickly.

I have seen 180,000km cars in bad condition for $19,990 here in Sydney - cue hilarious laughing- so all depends on:

a) condition
b) year/kilometers
c) why the seller is selling it - if I had not wanted to get rid of it as fast I would have had $25,000 or thereabouts on it.

(C) is the most important - have a look at various cars, walk away if the asking price is too high etc etc, there are often more cars than potential buyers so the ball is in your court.

Also, we try and keep track of the cars since some are wholesaled from place to place and *shock horror* their service books seem to go 'missing' and the odometer wound back!
So...if you see one you like, make a note of it and someone on here may know something of its history.

Cheers

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:55 AM
lupus

Thanks for that, seems like im gonna have to start saving. Its going to be pretty difficult to get my hands on one what with all the hassle of buying one from the eastern states. And i don't think ill have that knid of money for a year or two, but as long as i can get one i definitely will.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:58 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

I have seen 180,000km cars in bad condition for $19,990 here in Sydney - cue hilarious laughing

HAHAHA!!!

I looked at one of those cars myself! TERRIBLE condition!

HAHAHA!!!

Jason.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:02 AM
lupus

Thanks for that, seems like im gonna have to start saving. Its going to be pretty difficult to get my hands on one what with all the hassle of buying one from the eastern states. And i don't think ill have that knid of money for a year or two, but as long as i can get one i definitely will.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:03 AM
lupus

By the way is there any Perth owners on these forums who i can talk to?

Cheers

Lupus
Old 02-10-2004, 04:53 AM

Quote:
By the way is there any Perth owners on these forums who i can talk to?

Cheers

Lupus
There are one or two who post occassionally.

Post a new thread calling for West Aussies and wait for a reply.

Kenn
Old 02-10-2004, 05:14 AM
lupus

I found this right in perth, damn if only i my parents would give me 20grand...

Vehicle 1995 SUBARU SVX
Price $19,999
Kilometres 120,800
Body 2 door Coupe
Colour Red
Long Comments Always cherished and fasidiously maintained her, including regular prof. detailing. She has full service history, four new tyres, and still looks and runs like new - everything works. SHE IS A BARGAIN - don't delay.

arghhhh

Lupus
Old 02-10-2004, 02:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Quote:

Vehicle 1995 SUBARU SVX
Price $19,999
Kilometres 120,800
Body 2 door Coupe
Colour Red
Long Comments Always cherished and fasidiously maintained her, including regular prof. detailing. She has full service history, four new tyres, and still looks and runs like new - everything works. SHE IS A BARGAIN - don't delay.

arghhhh

Lupus
Where did you see this one???

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

Where did you see this one???

Down boy! You're moving . . . remember?

Welcome, Lupus, from us chaps "Up Over."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-10-2004, 07:37 PM
lupus

I found it at carsales.com.au There were two others for sale as well in other states

Lupus
Old 02-11-2004, 02:46 AM

Quote:

Vehicle 1995 SUBARU SVX
Price $19,999
Kilometres 120,800
Body 2 door Coupe
Colour Red

arghhhh

Lupus
May be gone by that time, don't worry there'll be more, RED.... Eh??

Els how's the credit carrrrrrrrrrd ugh!

Kenn
Old 02-11-2004, 02:49 AM

Lupus,

That Red '95 has been listed on Carsales for over 6 months. From memory the asking price was originally $25k. Like you, I didn't find out about SVXs until they were out of production - but I just had to have one! Mine is a '92 that had 160,000 km but was a one-owner with full maintence history. It was originally listed for $25K but I managed to get it for $15K. As Jamsvx has found (sadly) it's a buyer's market. Patience - if the red '95 is still listed in six months time, the asking price will likely be around $15k too.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:03 AM
lupus

I wish it was still there in 6 months for that price but its gone as of today

Damn

Lupus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: