How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2001, 11:05 PM
tober76b

gas gauge

about 4 weeks ago my gas gauge started to register incorrectly.
i'm aware of the pessimistic qualities (showing empty when there 4.5 galllons left), but now it'll show empty even earlier -- 3-4 gallons earlier. my dummy warning light will still come on like normal (all but one time when it came on when i had 14 gallons left).
that said, should i try disconnecting my battery overnight to reset the CPU? is it a float problem in the tank itself?
am i just clutching at straws?
any thoughts would be great.
toby
Old 09-10-2001, 10:01 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
This'd be one for eddy, who to our dismay will no longer be posting.

I wouldn't think the ECU would have much to do with it. I would think it would have to do with the tank, but I'm not sure
Old 09-10-2001, 11:03 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: gas gauge

My gauge goes to 3 quarters after driving 25 miles, and shows dead at 150 miles, and I can keep on driving until 250 miles, when it will show with some accuracy somewhere south of a quarter tank.

This was posted in the alt.autos.subaru newsgroup. It may be of help. If you decide to tackle it, please post results.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Fi....doit.wisc.edu

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by tober76b
about 4 weeks ago my gas gauge started to register incorrectly.
i'm aware of the pessimistic qualities (showing empty when there 4.5 galllons left), but now it'll show empty even earlier -- 3-4 gallons earlier. my dummy warning light will still come on like normal (all but one time when it came on when i had 14 gallons left).
that said, should i try disconnecting my battery overnight to reset the CPU? is it a float problem in the tank itself?
am i just clutching at straws?
any thoughts would be great.
toby

Last edited by vkykam; 09-10-2001 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2001, 02:16 AM
tober76b

uh...thanks for the post reference--it would be perfect if i wasn't afraid i was going to goof it up (probably drop a screw in the tank).
that's getting a little too tricky for my taste.
i think i'll just keep an eye on my mileage.
btw...does your dummy light still function properly?
mine has only been incorrect once.
toby
Old 09-13-2001, 08:17 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Yup. Idiot light works on cue. You are refering to the one that says "Idiot, I'm out of fuel!", right? Mostly I wait until the light comes on before fueling up.

And don't feel bad for yourself, if the best you fear is droping a screw in there. I'm afraid I'll blow the whole block up!

VK

Quote:
uh...thanks for the post reference--it would be perfect if i wasn't afraid i was going to goof it up (probably drop a screw in the tank).
that's getting a little too tricky for my taste.
i think i'll just keep an eye on my mileage.
btw...does your dummy light still function properly?
mine has only been incorrect once.
toby
Old 09-18-2001, 03:57 PM
tober76b

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Yup. Idiot light works on cue. You are refering to the one that says "Idiot, I'm out of fuel!", right? Mostly I wait until the light comes on before fueling up.

And don't feel bad for yourself, if the best you fear is droping a screw in there. I'm afraid I'll blow the whole block up!

VK

so how much do you put in when you fill up? 13.5 gallons? (that's when mine kicks in usually.)
i usually drive for at least another 100 miles after it comes on (w/ A/C on) and still don't get close to using the full 18 gallons.
toby
Old 09-18-2001, 09:27 PM
The Road Less Traveled

I've put in as much as 17.5 gallons on several occasions.

Usually, after the light comes on, it'll take 15+ gallons. As I consistantly drive it until the light comes on, I'm fairly certain that it doesn't come on at 14.5 gallons (55 litres), but shortly there after.

VK

Quote:

so how much do you put in when you fill up? 13.5 gallons? (that's when mine kicks in usually.)
i usually drive for at least another 100 miles after it comes on (w/ A/C on) and still don't get close to using the full 18 gallons.
toby
Old 09-19-2001, 04:31 PM
tober76b

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
I've put in as much as 17.5 gallons on several occasions.

Usually, after the light comes on, it'll take 15+ gallons. As I consistantly drive it until the light comes on, I'm fairly certain that it doesn't come on at 14.5 gallons (55 litres), but shortly there after.

VK

hmmm, my guage must be a little more pessimistic then....mine's consistantly at 13.5.
the most i've ever put in it was 16.75. it felt like i was driving for ages after that dummy light illuminated. heh.
toby
Old 09-19-2001, 04:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

toby
My guage is off, too. So is the one in my wife's '90 Legacy. So is the one in my mom's '96 Legacy, and her '92 SVX.

It's amazing how a company that builds such great cars can eff up something like a gas guage for TEN YEARS.

But the one thing my SVX is consistent on is the fuel light. When it comes on I know I have 4 gallons left. Always.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE