Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northeast Region
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2001, 12:22 PM
ddinaro

Question Transmission Flex Plate

Help, I need info on a Transmission Flex Plate. I had my Transmission replaced at a dealer in Allentown, Pa. (Becker), the tranny is under warranty period. Flex plate went bad ? Was that an action of incorrect replacement by the dealer and should that be under the warranty ? What does this flex plate do ? I had put the car in the shop for repair, replacement of the oil pump, because the values where banging. They also replaced the timing belts, they said they were oil soaked as I had a oil leak in the front seal. Does this sound correct, or does this sound like the dealer " South Side Shuffle " ? Need to know to make intelligent decesion on which way to proceed ! Its my opinion the transmission replacement job was botched by the dealer and thats why the flex plate cracked all around the bolts in the center ! What does the experts out there say ? Thanks , Don
Old 07-06-2001, 06:03 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Transmission Flex Plate

Quote:
Originally posted by ddinaro
Help, I need info on a Transmission Flex Plate. I had my Transmission replaced at a dealer in Allentown, Pa. (Becker), the tranny is under warranty period. Flex plate went bad ? Was that an action of incorrect replacement by the dealer and should that be under the warranty ? What does this flex plate do ? I had put the car in the shop for repair, replacement of the oil pump, because the values where banging. They also replaced the timing belts, they said they were oil soaked as I had a oil leak in the front seal. Does this sound correct, or does this sound like the dealer " South Side Shuffle " ? Need to know to make intelligent decesion on which way to proceed ! Its my opinion the transmission replacement job was botched by the dealer and thats why the flex plate cracked all around the bolts in the center ! What does the experts out there say ? Thanks , Don
It's possible that they didn't check to make sure the alignment dowels were there or that they didn't tighten a bellhousing bolt. Both of which will cause the flexplate to crack due to the stress put on it from excessive movement between the engine and tranny. But it's be pretty hard to prove unless you were standing right there when they pulled the tranny out to replace the plate.

It's always a good idea to replace the timing belts while you have them off, for any reason. Unless you just recently had it installed.
I'd certainly be willing to spend the extra bucks to have it done, there is no additional labor charge.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:36 PM
GT

Hello Don
I just had the same thing. My flex plate was bad before Level 10 rebuilt the transmission. They didn't notice it was cracked all around like yours. My Subaru dealer (Faulkner) said to go back to Level 10, which I did. They charged an additional 800 to remove the tranny again and replace the flex plate (flywheel). My warranty paid half of it. What a load of crap that is.
GT
Old 08-01-2001, 02:15 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by GT
Hello Don
I just had the same thing. My flex plate was bad before Level 10 rebuilt the transmission. They didn't notice it was cracked all around like yours. My Subaru dealer (Faulkner) said to go back to Level 10, which I did. They charged an additional 800 to remove the tranny again and replace the flex plate (flywheel). My warranty paid half of it. What a load of crap that is.
GT
Well, I'm not Don, but why the hell did you pay it? I might have been willing to pay for the plate, but certainly not for the labor. If they wanted to recoup their loss on the missed problem they should have charged you nothing and billed your extended warranty, and gratefully taken what they got.

I'd be curious if you could pull the part number out of your invoice and check with a dealer or subaruparts.com, or even cdasubaru.com and find out what the plate actually cost. Bet it ain't 400 bucks.

Let's see...R&R flexplate pays less than 5 hours, but let's use that as a guide. And let's also say that the flex plate was 400 bucks, that means they charged you 80 bucks an hour to fix something they should have caught in the first place.

Yessir, I'll be running up to ol' Level 10 when my tranny takes a dump.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:07 PM
GT

<why the hell did you pay it? >

I don't know why, Eddy. I guess for the same unknown reason that the warranty company paid. I already feel stupid enough. But you are right, nonetheless.