Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-23-2001, 04:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
AWS Saved my A$$ !

I KNEW that would get some attention.
NO! I'm not opening that can of worms again.

But seriously folks, this is the 3rd time in as many months I've had to 'evade' a truck pulling into me as I overtook them.

The car handles great, but I shouldn't have to make such manuvers at 5:30 in the AM. I discovered yet again that pounding on the center of the airbad does little to alert the idiot that he is about to make metal to metal contact!

Those little horn buttons really are dangerous.

Blow by blow:
Overtaking pickup. He decides to pull into my car for no apparent reason. I brake hard, search for horn and turn away. Unfortunately, now I'm headed for that stationary piece of metal on the side of the road....correct (easy now..don't panic) and one more swerve and I'm on my way.

I drive with one hand, lower right, on the wheel, which presents a slight problem when braking hard and trying to control the car. I overcorrect sometimes in 'severe panic' situations. "I'm half asleep at this hour! for cryin' out loud"

I cannot sit at ready with both hands the 'proper' racing position (waiting for some yahoo to pull a stunt like this) for 45 minutes at this hour in the morning. I'm trying to relax and get to work.

Be careful out there. This is a wonderful car that handles so well but it seems to be so invisable.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
The Aws........!!!

I have to mention this since I thought it would be of interest.

In the great definition debate known as 'passive 4ws' a while back, I made mention of the 8 series BMW having passive rear steering. A recent used car test (from an English magazine) that I was reading in Borders (nope, I read it and left...naughty James!) made mention of how complex the rear passive steering mechanism was....and how it was envisaged that amongst the updates that were planned for the 8 series (the M8, a drop top and also a smaller engined 830i) that never made it due to the car bombing in the marketplace, was to eventually add hydralics rams to the rear passive steering mechanism to ultimately make it an active rear steering car.

Why am I writing this? Since I am thinking of crashing into the bmw.org site and raising hell with talk of 4wd 8 series!!!

In all seriousness, I thought it was interesting and also because I happen to like the 8 series which, like the SVX, was a damn good car at the wrong time.

At least they had the sense to put a 6 speed tranny in a few hundred of the V12's!!!

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 07-23-2001, 08:58 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: AWS Saved my A$$ !

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
I discovered yet again that pounding on the center of the airbag does little to alert the idiot that he is about to make metal to metal contact!

Those little horn buttons really are dangerous.

I know how you feel, Jeff. I was searching for the horn buttons the day the Excretion . . . um, Excursion backed into me. I found them AFTER he had his bumper buried three inches into my fender (but he heard them -- exchanged stock horns for Fiamm Sidewinders).

But, it was probably better than washing my windows at him, which was what I used to do while driving the wife's van, after driving the Spitfire. In the Spitfire, the horn was on the end of the turn signal stalk. In the Van, the windshield washer was on the end of the turn signal stalk. If someone pulled out in front of me when I was driving the van, I simply "squirted" at them. The first time, it happened, the wife and kids looked at me -- I saw them out of the corner of my eye. I just looked at the offending driver and yelled, "Take that, sucker!"

On another note, my brother-in-law is an EMT. He says that he has had to pick peoples thumbs out of the back seat who have been laying on horns similar to ours, when the airbag deployed. Yikes.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-23-2001, 08:20 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Darn hard to see...

<This is a wonderful car that handles so well but it seems to be so invisable>

Know exactly what you mean Jeff. Since I live in the land of the pickup (and SUV and big rigs etc.) and have a black car, I have taken to running with my headlights on. Like motorcycles, I think people have a real hard time seeing our cars....

....of course if their eye test was like MINE back in Tennessee years ago, their blindness is understandable! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-23-2001, 08:23 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Going stalkers....

<In the Spitfire, the horn was on the end of the turn signal stalk. In the Van, the windshield washer was on the end of the
turn signal stalk. If someone pulled out in front of me when I was driving the van, I simply "squirted" at them. The first time, it
happened, the wife and kids looked at me -- I saw them out of the corner of my eye. I just looked at the offending driver and yelled,
"Take that, sucker!">

ROTFLMBO!!!! Jean and I were just going through some old pictures today, and came across the pics of the day we bought our Spitfire in Ipswich. Your post brought back some fond memories... Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-24-2001, 03:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Headlights

So....do you all think that headlights go a long way towards helping this stealthy problem?

I'd run them but they're expensive ya know....

It's getting near 'dark commute' time anyway so they'll be on all the time anyway.

Note the time.... in the AM! It's SO quiet here in the morning.

We're on shutdown right now (mosty for manufacturing) so the place is dead anyway. I'm the ONLY one here in a building where there is normally several hundred.

I'm SO lonely..... and I love it.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Headlights

Quote:
So....do you all think that headlights go a long way towards helping this stealthy problem?

I'd run them but they're expensive ya know....

It's getting near 'dark commute' time anyway so they'll be on all the time anyway.

Note the time.... in the AM! It's SO quiet here in the morning.

We're on shutdown right now (mosty for manufacturing) so the place is dead anyway. I'm the ONLY one here in a building where there is normally several hundred.

I'm SO lonely..... and I love it.
I never turn off my headlights, or foglights. I still get "flashed" at nights with the foggers on. But, without them, I might not see "Bambi" waiting in the wings. I just drive at night with one finger on the turn signal stalk to give oncoming flashers a quick"nope, THIS is bright."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-24-2001, 11:38 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Running lite

<I never turn off my headlights, or foglights. I still get "flashed" at nights with the foggers on. But, without them, I might not see
"Bambi" waiting in the wings. I just drive at night with one finger on the turn signal stalk to give oncoming flashers a quick"nope,
THIS is bright.">

I do exactly the same, except I only use the fogs at night. I rarely get flashed anymore: those new high intesity white bulbs make ours (regualr plus fog) seem a bit dim. Like you Randy, I am ready with the stalk if they REALLY want to see some bright lights! ("Oh, sorry! I thought you were on high beams...where did all these SPOTS come from???) Don

Old 07-24-2001, 11:41 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Running lite

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
seem a bit dim. Like you Randy
One little punctuational slip and this reply coulda turned into something totally different.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-24-2001, 11:56 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Dot com...

<One little punctuational slip and this reply coulda turned into something totally different>

Periodically Randy, I get it right... Don

Old 07-24-2001, 01:43 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Dot com...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
<One little punctuational slip and this reply coulda turned into something totally different>

Periodically Randy, I get it right... Don
Ain't dot de troof. I get your point. The lowest comma denominator.

Randy, STOP IT!

No!

Not you . . . the other Randy.

He's not here right now.

Schizo!

I am not.

I am too.

I am not.

I am too.

I'm beside myself over this.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-24-2001, 03:41 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Pun ctuation

A man fell into the copy machine at the office one day.
Over a hundred copies were made before he could extract himself from the workings.
Looking at his stunned coworkers he exclaimed....

<I'm beside myself over this>

Don

Old 07-24-2001, 04:18 PM
Lowered SVX

i too never turn off.....

my headlights and foglights. i love the svx because i never have to think about my lights. they go off when the car is turned off, ahhh the simple beauties!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-25-2001, 04:40 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: AWS Saved my A$$ !

Quote:
I KNEW that would get some attention.
NO! I'm not opening that can of worms again.

But seriously folks, this is the 3rd time in as many months I've had to 'evade' a truck pulling into me as I overtook them ... Be careful out there. This is a wonderful car that handles so well but it seems to be so invisible.
Unfortunately, that's because of the color. I think the SVX looks great in black (especially the '97's with the grill) but they really are invisible! Many years ago when I had my green SVX, I had stopped at the bottom of a slight hill at night to make a left turn (put my turn signals on long before slowing down, and tapped the brakes to light up the third brake light). As I looked in the rearview mirror, it dawned on me that someone was coming up very quickly and wasn't changing lanes. I had to abandon the idea of turning and just floor the gas. He changed lanes and barely missed me by a couple inches, and my gf at the time was sitting back there, unbelted; I shudder to think what could have happened.

Since then I have gotten in the habit of using my headlights alot. This is especially important in cars like the SVX, XT Coupe, Alfa Romeo 164 and other cars that just have a strip stretching across the back of the car. It doesn't catch the eye of other drivers as quickly as large, bright tail lamps do. I haven't had a problem with nearly being rear-ended with the black over pearl, but it was kinda scary with the teal car, so nearly getting hit 3 times in one month in an ebony pearl doesn't surprise me.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 07-25-2001, 04:49 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: i too never turn off.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
my headlights and foglights. I love the SVX because I never have to think about my lights. they go off when the car is turned off, ahhh the simple beauties!
I used to do that, but then I noticed that my headlights blew out more often. My rule of thumb is when the sun is in my eyes, I have my parking lights on and when the sun is behind me, headlights. Also, if I'm driving through a park I ALWAYS have the lights on, day or night.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele