Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Re: Twin Turbo EG33 Build - cozykat

twiddles thumbs waiting for next update...
I got a TD04 for free last month and can get a few more cheap currently and with soon picking up a MS2 for the SVX I'm getting that itch and it's all your fault Marisa!

On the intercooling note. I"ve seen a couple pipedream drawings on the wall at Synaptic3 using RX7 OEM intercoolers and using them as part of new manifolds. The two main guys over there are secrect SVX nuts and their mother is on her third SVX. (Sweet old lady about 5' tall... maybe 80lbs! LOL)
On the FMIC note I would think a long skiny core up front with do the trick just fine. Plus just adding in a hood scoop just in place to run fresh air over the engine and cool the engine bay will provide all the cooling you need. Along with a nice say PRW radiator. Seriously this radiator rocks! I actually have to NOT turn on the heat in the car till the engine warms up cause it cools so efficently in the winter. Even to the point that if I set the fan too high it cools too much and I get blasted with cool air...
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Okay.. so I am terrible at updating. Well really, there wasn't much to update on.

I decided to purchase Mike's 244 duration intake camshafts with the 264 duration exhaust camshafts since they seemed like a good option. From order to delivery it took about 2 months (I think) due to it being a custom job. Mike has to acquire cams first since I opted to keep my stock cams. I consider installing my stock cams and dynoing and then swapping to compare results. However, I kinda just want my engine together already.

good news: started assembling my block. A coworker who is a veteran mechanical engineer offered his workshop and guidance. His job is building/rebuilding engines while testing the effectiveness of oil lubricants. Considering it is my first engine build from the ground up, I've been hesitant to simply start slapping things together. While I can follow directions, I lack the experience to have developed techniques and tricks to ensure a successful build. So its been a great opportunity for me to learn good techniques.

The short block is assembled and its starting to look like a long block:

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram

Last edited by cozykat; 08-16-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Registered SVX

Hi Marisa,

Nice pics, it looks like you are making great progress
Keep the pictures and news coming
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat

Thanks This will probably be one of the slowest builds EVER!

Side note: As Shaun (yourconfused) mentioned way earlier.. I like the idea of a FMIC.. the alternative would be air to water intercooled. I am still struggling with my final decision and probably will until I simply purchase one or the other.

I don't think I posted up pictures when I played with the Perrin FMIC (purchased for the STI) and the bumper I got from Dayle:

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Driving in Style

Looks very nice! I plan on dropping the engine out of my parts car sometime this year. It runs well but has 160k on it.. i don't plan on such a nice rebuild, just a very stockish overhaul one of these days.. i would love to see that in pieces, looks like fun!

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM

Registered SVX

Looks extremely nice. How long will you wait before you introduce forced induction?

By the way, I like your dial torque wrench.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Smile Re: Twin Turbo EG33 Build - cozykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
Thanks This will probably be one of the slowest builds EVER!

Side note: As Shaun (yourconfused) mentioned way earlier.. I like the idea of a FMIC.. the alternative would be air to water intercooled. I am still struggling with my final decision and probably will until I simply purchase one or the other.

I don't think I posted up pictures when I played with the Perrin FMIC (purchased for the STI) and the bumper I got from Dayle:

It will fit but you will need a torch to cut the bumper beam. The cover is not the issue. Not bad though I have a 18x9x3 core behind a stock bumper.

Clean project and I look forward to the finished project!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Yeah, in the STI we had to remove the bumper beam altogether. I don't want to do that in the SVX but I don't want to hack anything either. I need to see what the dimensions are for the Mini FMICs. Maybe they are narrower but just as long... Again, I may just go air to water but it was cool to see as far as the bumper was concerned, the opening was just about a perfect match to the intercooler.

Last edited by cozykat; 08-17-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Your catching up to me... I need to get my rear in gear haha

Good progress!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
Yeah, in the STI we had to remove the bumper beam altogether. I don't want to do that in the SVX but I don't want to hack anything either. I need to see what the dimensions are for the Mini FMICs. Maybe they are narrower but just as long... Again, I may just go air to water but it was cool to see as far as the bumper was concerned, the opening was just about a perfect match to the intercooler.
Most companies sell a replacement bumper support beam with their FMIC kits I'd like to get the dimensions of the perrin one and see if it will bolt up to our front end with little to no modification. will check into it.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Driving in Style

Any more progress? Where is this being built in SA?

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM

In my garage. And yes some progress made, but I'm slow. I was supposed to have everything sealed up this weekend but got side tracked. Breaking down and ordering wiring harness.. Having exhaust and intake manifold coated but I'm fighting myself about the iris and if I should just remove it.

Last edited by cozykat; 10-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat View Post
In my garage. And yes some progress made, but I'm slow. I was supposed to have everything sealed up this weekend but got side tracked. Breaking down and ordering wiring harness.. Having exhaust and intake manifold coated but I'm fighting myself about the iris and if I should just remove it.
I would keep it, as it will still provide the torque between 2000 to 4000, that may be lacking with the turbo. Every little bit helps.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I would keep it, as it will still provide the torque between 2000 to 4000, that may be lacking with the turbo. Every little bit helps.

Harvey.
FWIW I have kept mine with no issues.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX View Post
FWIW I have kept mine with no issues.
Mine seems to have disappeared!

The same, there's a reason the thing's there: It's a performance part. Naturally, by adding some turbo action, it either helps the same, is just in the way, or... could be tweaked? Is it possible that it might give you some sort of performance benefit by being activated at a key RPM that may be different than when it is now?

IIRC, it's closed in the lower RPM range. I'd consider keeping it for the off-boost moments?