IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 12:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
OK, Rob won, so anyone with video advice?
Andy, as I said, I asked a friend of mine, but he hasn't replied yet. I'll prod him right now. It's possible he just requires more info.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-12-2003, 02:24 PM
arondale

Quote:
Yeah, buy a Mac. j/k. Without looking through these 11 pages, can you restate your most recent obstacle with what you are trying to accomplish?

arondale
Old 12-12-2003, 02:45 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by arondale

Yeah, buy a Mac. j/k. Without looking through these 11 pages, can you restate your most recent obstacle with what you are trying to accomplish?

arondale
Actually, I asked Andy what he was using, and part of his hardware / software list included his Mac.

His problem is that he's shooting on DV in 16:9, but when he's converting it to a format suitable for the web, he's losing the aspect ratio.

Andy, can you see where along your process you're losing the correct aspect ratio? Maybe you need to tell 'movie maker' that you're editing 16:9 footage. Maybe you need to tell the compressor you're using that it's got to output the right resolution.

At any rate, I think it's a software problem. Find out where in your process you're losing the correct aspect and then look in that program's help for 'aspect ratio,' '16:9,' 'resolution,' etc...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-12-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Can't give you any advice, but, I finally sent the kids out, grabbed dinner last night, walked into the living room and turned on the DVD player. Settled back on my plumped pillows to watch the show on my 42"SONY ---

READING . . . READING . . . READING . . . WRONG OR DAMAGED DISC

Crap!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-12-2003, 02:53 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Can't give you any advice, but, I finally sent the kids out, grabbed dinner last night, walked into the living room and turned on the DVD player. Settled back on my plumped pillows to watch the show on my 42"SONY ---

READING . . . READING . . . READING . . . WRONG OR DAMAGED DISC

Crap!
I'll ask again - what DVD?

I get the impression that you got it from Andy. If that's the case, it may very well not work. The UK uses a video standard called PAL and the US uses NTSC. They're two totally incompatible signals - different in numbers of frames per second, lines of resolution, etc. That's probably why your DVD player said 'wrong or damaged disc' - it may have really been the wrong disc.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-12-2003, 02:58 PM

yeah the UK has region 2 DVD's we have region 1....that is why my DVD didn't work..

Doug....i'm waiting...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Okay. You're older, so any point I make is automatically wrong since you have had more time on this planet, and any studies I show you that prove you wrong are 'incorrect' studies since they aren't as old as you.

- Rob

No, not every point you make is wrong. Every point you make that is wrong, is wrong. Your point was about inter/intrapersonal communication. I'm fairly confident that I have more experience in those areas than you have. Please give me evidence to the contrary and I'll concede. Now, if you want to talk to me about, say, skateboarding -- I will be happy to listen to anything you have to say and deem you as more experienced in that matter. Rock climbing -- I have very little experience in that arena. I'm sure there are younger folks who have more experience than I.

A person can be "younger" and have more "experience." However, in dealing with people, I don't think that's the case between you and me. Now, when Ron Mummert or Larry III speaks on matters in which they have more experience than me, I'll listen -- they're older than me, and more experienced in dealing with people as a result. However, I know each of them well enough to know that if they need knowledge from me in an area that I'm more experienced in, they will ask me.

It's more about experience than age. I've only been dealing with computers since 1991, so, I'm sure you have me far outweighed in experience category where THAT's concerned.

And, I'm glad you're done with this thread. Otherwise, I'd have to expect a response.

Meanwhile, I think I'll ask for a re-count on your declaration of being the "winner." I think I see your chad hanging.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-12-2003, 03:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I'll ask again - what DVD?

I get the impression that you got it from Andy. If that's the case, it may very well not work. The UK uses a video standard called PAL and the US uses NTSC. They're two totally incompatible signals - different in numbers of frames per second, lines of resolution, etc. That's probably why your DVD player said 'wrong or damaged disc' - it may have really been the wrong disc.

Yes, I'm familiar with PAL/NTSC (I work at a video production company). Andy had sent me a SECOND try that he thought would work. We have a PAL/NTSC switchable unit in Edit Suite A, I guess I'll just have to bring it into work and have it transferred.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-12-2003, 03:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
yeah the UK has region 2 DVD's we have region 1....that is why my DVD didn't work..

Doug....i'm waiting...

Kelli
WHAT DVD???

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-12-2003, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Yes, I'm familiar with PAL/NTSC (I work at a video production company). Andy had sent me a SECOND try that he thought would work. We have a PAL/NTSC switchable unit in Edit Suite A, I guess I'll just have to bring it into work and have it transferred.
I realize where you work, but you've also claimed to be 'just a writer.' So I figured I'd offer it up. I wasn't even sure that there was a difference in the encoding of all-region PAL and NTSC DVDs, so I had to ask. I thought it might be in the player, not the disc. But it turns out that the encoding is very different.

Yeah, I'd try that disc at work.

And I'll ask again - what DVD are you talking about? You guys are driving my nucking futs by not telling me. So at this point I figure that's the reason you're not telling me, in which case I say, 'good show.'

I bet there is no DVD.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-12-2003, 03:08 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Oh, I was going to add: about the DVD. I'm not telling you. NANANANA BOO BOO!
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 12-12-2003 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:10 PM
arondale

16:9 ASPECT RATIO

I believe the problem you are having is the export settings. Try using custom export options in your program. You should be able to constrain a fixed dimension to your choosing. Just use basic algebra to keep it at a 16:9 dimension set and you should be fine.

For instance, 320x180 would probably be the largest to export for the web...which has a 16:9 ratio.

arondale
Old 12-12-2003, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 16:9 ASPECT RATIO

Quote:
Originally posted by arondale
I believe the problem you are having is the export settings. Try using custom export options in your program. You should be able to constrain a fixed dimension to your choosing. Just use basic algebra to keep it at a 16:9 dimension set and you should be fine.

For instance, 320x180 would probably be the largest to export for the web...which has a 16:9 ratio.

arondale
I suspect the same, but since there are several steps involved in Andy's process, I wanted to make sure he was watching for where he was losing the aspect ratio. It's possible that his editing program is giving him a 4:3 movie before it even gets to the compressor he's using.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Hey!.....this is exactly how I feel when I see J-LO's ass.

You da' man Aron!

Ron (Forgive me Lord for having impure thoughts).
I say again - Ron, I love you - man.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
Mac users tend to not wash their hands after using the bathroom.
With characters like Landshark hanging around here, I may never leave.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.