Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 03-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Direct bolt-on calipers

I've searched thru a bunch of these brake threads, and just so I haven't missed anything, there are NO upgraded calipers that will directly bolt onto the SVX, yes? I read one that said WRX calipers have the same bolt holes, but the SVX rotors are too thin and you'd have to get thicker rotors.

So again, there are currently NO calipers that are a direct, bolt-on replacement for the stock SVX calipers that won't require changes to anything else?
Honda Accord wheels 17x7.5, 235/45s, 5mm rear wheel spacers; "3.3" and "AWD" badges on front fenders; AMR radiator/fans; lowering springs, s/s brake lines, drilled rotors; Stebro exhaust with quad tips, mid-muffler removed; tinted windows.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Direct bolt-on calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
I've searched thru a bunch of these brake threads, and just so I haven't missed anything, there are NO upgraded calipers that will directly bolt onto the SVX, yes? I read one that said WRX calipers have the same bolt holes, but the SVX rotors are too thin and you'd have to get thicker rotors.

So again, there are currently NO calipers that are a direct, bolt-on replacement for the stock SVX calipers that won't require changes to anything else?
correct there needs an adapter to bolt up any other caliper
Old 03-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

There is a project over on SVXNATION And HISE-TECH to bring over the 4-pot calipers, designed for the JDM SVXs.

4pot front/ 2pot rear, plus larger rotors, designed for the OEM 16" wheels.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
There is a project over on SVXNATION And HISE-TECH to bring over the 4-pot calipers, designed for the JDM SVXs.

4pot front/ 2pot rear, plus larger rotors, designed for the OEM 16" wheels.

As far as I know the JDM SVX didn't use any other calipers, if so we could just put those on the usdm svx they didn't change any brake mount locations on any of the svx, it wouldn't make financial sense to do so. for such a limited number of cars, However that being said there is a plan underway for "cheap" 4 pot/2 pot to be made to fit
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
As far as I know the JDM SVX didn't use any other calipers, if so we could just put those on the USDM SVXthey didn't change any brake mount locations on any of the SVX it wouldn't make financial sense to do so. for such a limited number of cars, However that being said there is a plan underway for "cheap" 4 pot/2 pot to be made to fit
Check with Jamie Price over on SVXNATION. This is the whole idea. The JDM 4 pots do fit. He can explain all the technical details to you. Send him a message.

The first sets of calipers are en-route from Japan. For those of you inquiring about the brake upgrade kits Unfortunately they are being shipped PAL which can take up to 14 weeks to get to Philly.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM

That sounds all well and good, but right off the bat I wouldn't be interested in that, because the JDM calipers would have to come from Japan, and I'm sure they won't be cheap. What I'd be interested in is being able to take calipers off a WRX or something similar, and with minimal effort, bolt them right up to a stock SVX brake system. No bigger rotors, no changing hubs, etc. That, combined with s/s brake lines, should be a "Stage 1" brake upgrade. Simple, not very expensive, and something that won't require special tools or a lot of time.
Honda Accord wheels 17x7.5, 235/45s, 5mm rear wheel spacers; "3.3" and "AWD" badges on front fenders; AMR radiator/fans; lowering springs, s/s brake lines, drilled rotors; Stebro exhaust with quad tips, mid-muffler removed; tinted windows.