Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX
rear lateral link bushing replacement

I have at least one bushing on each side of the car in the rear lateral link/control arm that has gone bad. I plan to repair all four lateral links.
I have been presoaking the fasteners with kroil to aid removal and fear removing the bolt that secures them to the hub as I understand that one can be a problem.
For those who have done this job, is it advisable to just get new control arms to avoid the hassle of replacing the bushings, or is the bushing replacement not as bad as others have indicated?
Any other tips?
Thanks.
Bill
Old 10-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: rear lateral link bushing replacement

I had my sway bar bushings replaced a number of years ago with poly bushings. The mechanic said it was straight forward. He did say the differential bushings were a royal PITA.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:03 AM

Re: rear lateral link bushing replacement

I got the Strongflex bushing kit (Google..they are in Poland) for my 92. No real difficulty with removing my lateral bars but this has been a Southern car all its life. I got a Harbor Freight installer set (for ball joints, etc) which made removal/insertion easy. In the past I have taken a propane torch to the old bushing inserts and burned them out. If there is a metal shell, a hacksaw can slit them so you can drive them out with a chisel/punch.

I put the new bushings in he freezer for a day or 2 thinking they may shrink a bit like I do for bearings but not sure if this really works but does make the new insert nice and hard so it doesn't deform very much when I was pressing it in. I used 2 measuring tapes to confirm my rear toe in was the same after messing with the toe bolt removal. The setting was a bit different even though I marked the bolt with its line pointer before removing..new bushings probably had different tolerances than my 23 year old ones. While you are in there, add "Old Tom's " 20 minute" swaybar link mod to stiffen up things. StrongFlex sells poly rear swar bar bushing which are very easy to replace..just make sure both wheels are off the ground so the SB isn't loaded.

Good Luck