Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-01-2018, 02:36 PM

glowing dash idiot lights

I have replaced my alternator twice and my battery in the last 8 months but some of my idiot lights have started to barely glow when the 95 LSi is at idle after driving for awhile. The lights that glow are the battery symbol, power steering light, brake and bulb out lights;I'm thinking the alternator is gone again but when I had it replaced the second time (under warranty), the mechanic said the battery was the cause of the alternator failure so it was replaced and is only about 8 months old. I'm going to bring the car in for the mechanic to check both the alternator/ battery but wanted to be prepared for his answer. Anyone have a clue as to what may be the underlying problem?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:54 PM

Re: glowing dash idiot lights

Check the ground wire that goes from the battery post and then goes underneath the battery to the frame. If wire has corrosion at all you found the culprit (I also call this the CHARGING GROUND WIRE)
Replace this outdated ground wire with a higher guage wire that can withstand more resistance with a zinc or gold connector. Mount to frame with bolt or screw.
Without this wire properly grounded to the frame you get no amperage output from the alternator and car runs on battery power.
Also check the engine 'Ground Strap'

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 06-03-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:23 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Make sure your crank pulley isn't seperating by putting a mark across the face of it, and then check after running it for a while and see if the line stays lined up between the inner and outer part of the pulley......as they are know to separate and slip.....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Took it to the garage yesterday and they checked w/gauges and found that the alternator is not performing correctly. This will be the third alternator in a year. Waiting for the alternator source to findout about a replacement under warranty. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:05 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Most of the rebuilt alternators for the SVX have inferior parts which are not up to the task and fail quite quickly. You'd be much better off getting a good used OEM (Hitachi I think) alternator.
I've had good luck with parts from these guys https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1995-1...u%7CModel%3ASV

Check their website. They have 14 SVX parts cars in stock. I bought a mint rear sub-frame from them.
http://sspparts.com/cars/Subaru/SVX

Last edited by Blacky; 06-06-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:13 PM

you're probably right about rebuilt alternators but it's under warranty so I don't want to spend the extra bucks. I'm still waiting to hear from the garage what the alt builder says. Last time he said the battery was at fault, making the alt run too hot, even though the battery tested good. I replaced the battery under warranty so let's see if he steps up. If not, then I'll look elsewhere for you recommendation.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 AM

All this talk about glowing dash lights, poor power, fluctuating MPG and the infamous "shudder" or "no power" (idiot lights) on key turn.... found out after careful inspection that my own engine ground strap/earth connector is bad..original factory wire still there!! HUH! It looks like it's been through a meat grinder and it's brittle n' soft. This would definitely explain my poor acceleration at certain RPMs going down the road and weak turn signals and other strange issues. Other than having to remove the Air Box and reconnect afterwards, this is such an easy fix! ��
I get poor acceleration between 40 - 50 MPH and then 55 - 60+ it always has topped out at about 60 on normal throttle (half throttle) which I find odd. When I bought it in 2000 it had much better range the first 5 years (had excellent range from 0 - 120 with ease!) then slowly dropped off with age...though I do have a ton of oil leaks I have to fix someday (this should help the performance and range once I can pay a mechanic for new intake gasket and valve cover replacement seals..costly) STILL need to have the original cam seals replaced..and I know they're bad. Haha.
Anyways, I'm on it! ��
Replaced that pesky Engine Ground Strap..yep, had to remove Air Box to get to it. Pain in the arse!! Old O.E.M. wire was melted AND corroded..no wonder my M.P.G. fluctuated so bad. ��
Blade connector was barely making contact. So I removed the 2 bolts holding on the ground wire (scraped the firewall down to metal for better contact) and replaced the wire with a proper 8" long Ground Strap from NAPA, (remove negative cable from battery before doing this) though I had to tape the ground strap with black electrical tape so it would not come in contact with any other wires close to it as precaution. Put it all back together, started it, drove away
Ok, it runs even better now. No power loss between 40 - 50 any more and it's 'spunky' with giddyap!! Hey hey! ��

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 06-22-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Oil leaks... Ground Strap
Old 07-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Finally needed to purchase a new (refurbished alt) to get it on the road since it's my daily driver. The tech who sold the first and second alternators wouldn't cover the second w/warranty; he only warranted from the date of sale of the first alternator, not from the date that I replaced the first failed alternator with the second failed alternator. Makes no sense to me since both failed alternators came from his shop. I checked w/Manic but they didn't have any SVX alternators in stock.