Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 AM

Want to Save a 1992 SVX in Florida?

I recently bought a black 1992 SVX that I plan to use as an engine donor for my VW camper (1978 Westfalia). But since the car is so rare I'm making sure no enthusiast misses out on the opportunity to save it. I will not sell it to someone else who's going to part it out.

What I want:
$1000 or a donor Subaru car or engine (EJ22, EJ25 SOHC, EZ30D) with all electronics and fuel system (a donor car is best). This could be a crashed car. If someone has a T-boned Subaru, they could keep the transmission and rear differential to swap into the SVX.

About the SVX:

Good:
Nice body, appears rust free. Engine runs.

Bad:
-The transmission doesn't work at all and is leaking fluid.
-True mileage is unknown because the odomoter stopped working, but it displays 159k. The previous owner thinks it's at about 170k miles.
-Interior is dirty and the gray leather seats are torn.
-Has an exhaust leak. -Engine misfires and doesn't idle steadily once it's warmed up (I think due to the exhaust leak).

Let me know what you have!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX.jpg (33.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Want to Save a 1992 SVX in Florida?

wow, I do hope someone can save that one it is a nice looking car. Appears like its in good shape.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Damn, almost makes me want to drag one of the few cars I have around down there. :/ Hopefully someone saves it.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:46 AM

It is a good looking car. I think it would take me about $2500 and quite a few weekends to get it back on the road. But then it would still have the unknown mileage issue, which would scare off the average car shopper. But, for an SVX enthusiast with a spare transmission and exhaust it would be perfect!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86aaz View Post
It is a good looking car. I think it would take me about $2500 and quite a few weekends to get it back on the road. But then it would still have the unknown mileage issue, which would scare off the average car shopper. But, for an SVX enthusiast with a spare transmission and exhaust it would be perfect!
Just toss in another cluster and you're fine. The title would never be affected by a stopped odometer unless someone actually selected the "TMU" option on the title when it was flipped last. I actually happen to have a cluster with 165k I just pulled which would work really well for this.
Do a 4.44 swap and I'm sure the engine is just a matter of needing a good "go over". replace a coil or two that's likely bad, vac lines, oil seals, etc and then fix the exhaust which is just a matter of donuts I'd bet since it's a southern car. Either way, there aren't many solid shells left at all and I wish I was in position to travel as much as I used to. I'm still tempted to contact him.